Why do you like using Fuji X cameras?

TJA82

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new X-E2 a few days ago for a great price and I have to say that I am very impressed with it so far!

I have been really interested in photography since 1999 but I have now finally got around to getting an enthusiasts camera (yay!).

Here is what I like about it so far:

FANTASTIC IMAGE QUALITY.

BEAUTIFUL COLOUR RENDITION.

MANUAL CONTROLS that make the camera ENGAGING TO USE (which also helps to learn the art of photography).

The CAMERA LOOKS GREAT and FEELS LIKE A QUALITY PRODUCT.

HIGH QUALITY KIT LENS (18-55).

It is SMALL IN COMPARISON TO A DSLR.

Thanks Fujifilm for making a great camera!

I'm right there with you on the X-E2. Although I came by way of already having several DSLRs, and to be honest, photography was getting boring for me and manual mode was NOT as fun to use as it was when I picked up the Fuji. I primarily shoot my professional work with my XT1, but the X-E2 has a special place in my heart that I can't explain. Love that camera!

Great!

I would have loved to have gotten a "Graphite Silver" X-T1 as the camera looks fantastic and has a few other features that I would have liked (tilting screen, weather resistant, improved auto focus, and very large EVF) but it would have cost over twice the price of the x-e2 that I purchased ( I got the X-e2 with 18-55 lens for around the equivalent of $800 USD).

Forgot to mention that Fuji is pretty awesome with the firmware updates too!

Why do I like using Fuji?

They do exactly what it says on most cameras tins - except at a much better price and in a form factor that not only looks good and feels good, but actually makes sense.

OH, did I mention that they also seem to listen to their user base?

Still haven't seen Canon or Nikon take that leaf out of the book!

• 3 weeks later...

Manual controls and size and cost.

After my time with a Nikon film SLR back in the 90s I only had point and shoot digital cameras. I like that I can check the result immediately and don't have to wait a couple of days until I get the developed film. But for a long time I never made the step to a DSLR. On one hand it was clear to me that I would need the best camera with the best image quality on the planet. BTW, I have never published a single picture. On the other hand after all the disappointing experience with the handling of point&shoot cameras I was not sure if my passion for photography would last long enough to justify the expenses for a FF DSLR.

So one day I stood at the window of my, since then, favorite camera shop. I knew, today I will spend money. Possible canditates were

- Sony RX100 II, just another point&shoot, very good IQ but no view finder

and likely the same disspointing shooting experience like

my Ixus 980, which also has its good sides.

- Nikon D800, at least the resolution was the highest on the planet at that time.

Ok, except medium format.

- Nikon D610, compromise FF

- Fuji X-E1

In the end it was the Fuji with the kit-zoom. Mainly because I remembered that I almost never was unsatisfied with the IQ. It was always that my complains were about composition and timing and that taking pictures with the P&S did not feel right. So I decided for the dials and I was happy that the size and weight were smaller as it would have been with a FF DSLR. And as it was less expensive than the Nikons I had less concerns if it was wise to spend that much money for a passion I was not sure if it will last.

And the end of the story?

Well the story has not ended yet. A week or so later I bought the 55-200. Then the X-T1, 23/1.4, 56/1.2, and 18/2. So GAS has me in its firm grip. I am reading Fujiroumors every day and wait impatiently for firmware updates and better cameras from Fuji.

Sometimes, when I read the discussions in this forum about slow auto focus at low light, poor face and eye detection, poor manual focus control, missing distance and aperture scale on the lenses, no image stabilization in the camera body, and yes, I have all this experienced myself, then I feel I desparately need a FF DSLR, may be a Nikon D750 (auto focus down to -3EV and I still have my Nikon mount lenses from film times), or a Sony Alpha 7 something, or an Olympus OM-D E-5II (5 axis image stabilization), or may be a Leica (It is known to everyone that you can take good pictures only with a Leica and if you have one you will take master pieces automatically. What do you think why all the old masters used a Leica?)

So far I have resisted because it is great fun for me to shoot with my Fujis, even with the really slow E-1. And I know that it is not really the camera if I am not that happy with the result. But even this seems to improve, at least a little bit. May be it is of some help, that now I sometimes even go out and take pictures instead of sitting at home and reading about taking pictures and cameras.

Hm, this is more text than anyone wants to read. But I have answered the main question in the first line. So it is your own fault if you wasted your time to read to here.

I came into contact with Fuji because of the ratio IQ and size, both the D800 and D3S are too bulky for my smaller asian hands. I was looking around for a good while for a step up of my Nikon 1 series camera, maybe not something that would be super snappy but something slower, something that would allow me to actually think about the composition and careful controls about how I want things to look or feel.

Spent a good 4-5 month looking around and came into this short list of candidates:

- Sony A7R or A7II, smallest FF ever at, super bad cons, very expensive lenses and very poor choice of them, only 6 of them were released at the time.

- Olympus OM-D E-M5 MkII, great at everything and the 5 stops IBS got me drooling but the IQ wouldn't have been that much better than my Nikon 1, I wanted something more drastic as improvement.

And that was it, Fuji didn't even made into the initial list at first, then I walked into a camera shop where one of the Fuji representative was doing a small show about the X-T1, I had a small time with the X-Pro1 before and while it was enjoyable it wasn't exactly what I wanted to use, the mix of OVF and EVF didn't really worked for me. The Fuji guy then passed me around the X-T1 and it felt good in the hand, lord and behold when I looked into that super wide EVF, it was spacey, reactive and I could visualize the shot even before pressing the shutter. Along the histogram and rest of information displayed. I was pretty much sold at that point.

The match came between the E-M5 MkII and X-T1 after that experience in the camera shop. Fuji won my wallet after some more research about the mentality of the company toward the users, mainly the FW updates, that's something almost non existing on the Canikon world, the less they talk about it, the better it is.

Got the X-T1 with the 18-135 initially because WR and also, the camera was meant as my hobby only, no work assignment with it, just pure photography fun time so I wanted a decent "do it all" starting kit. The 35mm and 27mm were purchased maybe a week after. Now several months later, I still love my X-T1, not certain I would upgrade when the X-T2 gets released, I might think about it for the X-T3.

Next targeted lens, that lovely 10-24mm F4, been saving money up for that one, with a bit of luck, I might be able to get it around late October right before my trip to Taiwan.

I moved to Fujifilm for the size and I wanted something smaller and lighter to travel with. I was very impressed with the lenses and image quality. I love the manual controls and the constant firmware updates. What started off as looking for a small, light travel camera has become my new go to system. I'm about 90% converted over to fujifilm now.

My back gave out and I had to scale back how much I use medium format and SLRs. As I'd picked up an X100S as my point-and-shoot previously, it made sense to give the X-T1 a try. I like the tilty screen, so I've stuck with it.

Make no mistake about it, Fuji aren't suitable for some of my work—I'm sometimes required to deliver files over 20mp so that's Fuji out of the question—and if I truly had my choice I'd still be using a Mamiya 6x7 for everything. But hey, needs must, and Fuji feels to be the best of the available options for the role I need them to fill.

I was looking for a smaller, lightweight camera with professional imagequality. I am still using my heavy DSLR gear, but I wanted to have a light and small alternative for everytime use.

When I found the Fuji X-System I spent more money, bought more lenses and I use it much more than expected.

Why: IQ is first class, I like the classic handling and the  size/weight. And I appreciate the improvements via firmware.

Well done Fuji.

1. Lens quality (build and IQ)

2. Manual controls and "feel" of the cameras

3. Fuji listening to customers and providing firmware updates

#2 really makes brand-new DSLRs feel outdated, when I pick them up again. :D 

All together make me stay with Fuji, even though I preferred my Nikon sensors and AF performance.

1. Fuji's no-compromise approach to mirrorless (vs Nikon and Canon who obviously still want to protect their DSLR sales). Hence the ergonomic form-factor.
  2. Direct 'manual' controls for aperture, shutter, AF mode, including if you want to set these to 'Auto'. Fuji just 'gets it'.

Issue 1 basically narrows the field to Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Fujifilm.

Issue 2 is a Fujifilm unique.

The other things, like good image quality, market positioning at the top end of mirrorless, good EVF quality, firmware features, AF performance (I think it's good, not bad) can all be replicated by the competition, so they're not the real descriminators.

Not in any particular order:

- UI, haptics, manual controls.  Overall, a pleasure to use.

- Overall IQ.  Great colors, rendering and usable ISO to 6400.

- Hybrid EVF/OVF (X100 series and X-Pro1).

- Quality and selection of lenses.

- Leaf shutter (X100 series).

Still patiently waiting on the X-Pro2.  

Image quality obviously matters but I'm an amateur so for me the most important thing it to enjoy taking pictures. Using modern digital cameras such as the Lumix GH3, the fun had gone, and been replaced by frustration. The viewfinder was tiny and blurred making it hard to see how the camera was setup. Whilst there were lots of buttons and three dials, I could never remmeber which dial was set to alter aperture and which one was shutter speed in manual mode or which one was exposure compensation in any of the auto modes. When I picked up a Fuji X-T1 with proper engraved dedicated controls for each function and a decent viewfinder, I immediately traded in an entire micro four thirds outfit (ten lenses and two bodies) for a Fuji system. No regrets - the X-T1 has made taking photos fun again.