Fujinon 80mm on the way!

Mike G

Just had an email from WEX that my new Fujinon 80mm Macro is to be delivered tomorrow, yippee. Hopefully it will be as good as predicted, I’m sure it will

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Mike G

Impressions so far are good, hefty beast but so far I like the handling it doesn't feel that heavy, the focusing ring is firm to move but smooth. The Aperture ring feel is a bit on the soft side but ok, I would prefer a more positive click, but hey. Focusing is fairly fast, not lightning fast but quite quick! Personally I prefer the handling to that of the 90mm.

The lens works with the TC 1.4 but not the TC 2 unless I’m doing something wrong. I look forward to learning how to use this lens properly. A couple of photos to follow soonish.

Edited by Mike G

This is me on a good day!  :D

I too have been waiting for this lens for what seems like forever. Based on experience with the X-E3's waitlist at Adorama, I may not get it even weeks after the official US release date (30 Nov). Boo hoo!

(Of course, all the flowers are gone anyway. Great macro timing, Fuji!)

Edited by rrrrrichard

In a last-minute, epic swerve I cancelled my order for this lens. I've been waiting for it for close to two years.

But I just now noticed the existence of the Meike 85mm f/2.8 Macro lens. It is fully manual and of course without stabilization. And it's $300. I bought one yesterday from Amazon.

I have had doubts about whether the Fujinon 80mm macro is right for me. I already have the brilliant 90mm and have never been a fan of stabilization. So the features of the Fujinon for non-macro photography are superfluous for me. (The same is true of the claims made by Meike that their lens is also good for portraiture. But for $300, who cares?) I have only minimal expectations for the Meike's quality, in spite of a fairly glowing review by ePHOTOzine. But hoping for a surprise. I'll dump it and get back on the queue for the Fujinon if it's unsatisfactory.

I'm not trolling, just saying. I intend to report on this lens, though I won't have a Fujinon macro with which to compare it directly. I'll try to post some big raws. It's supposedly arriving Thursday, and I hope to be able to shoot with it over the weekend.

Regards from crazytown...

Edited by rrrrrichard

Will be really interested to hear your views on the Meike when you get it, rrrrrichard. It looks to be a good size and weight for field macro, and reviews so far are good. I currently use the Zeiss Touit 50mm: a great little lens, but I find myself having to get nose to nose with the bugs on the forest floor in order to get anywhere near 1:1 macro with it. I also have the wonderfully versatile 90mm: was going to trade it in for the 80mm macro, but I don't think I can bear to get rid of it. So, hard decisions...