Lichens

merlin

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures from places most of us will most likely never visit.

I once looked at them from close up:

DSCF8475_spcr2K.jpg

I just found out I haven't got a clue what I am doing when preparing smaller versions of images for the forum: an image that looks nicely saturated and pleasantly crisp/sharp on my 4K monitor looks quite bleak and rather soft when I just checked it on my wife's laptop which has a 1920x1080 monitor.

Edited by George_P

Thanks very much, George!  I often find that images do not look as good on laptop screens as they do on desktop monitors.  That is certainly the case with my desktop Eizo 22" ColorEdge compared with an Asus 22" monitor on another machine, let alone a laptop.

Here's another lichen photograph from the same hike as the other two.

XT2F0970_lzn-X3.jpg

Edited by merlin

Thanks very much, George!  I often find that images do not look as good on laptop screens as they do on desktop monitors.  That is certainly the case with my desktop Eizo 22" ColorEdge compared with an Asus 22" monitor on another machine, let alone a laptop.

Thanks to you sir, you share your images very generously and for a good cause, too. Makes me wonder if you are outdoors 24/7.

Do you just resize when you make the smaller version or do you use different sharpening or make other changes  ?

My lichens are from the High Tatra mountains, this one is from 2634m altitude. 

DSCF8534_ac2k.jpg

Beautiful photograph, George!  Mine are from about 2200 meters altitude.

My post-processed uploaded images are all at 2560 pixels on the longest side, and 300 dpi.  I often add a bit of additional contrast, and sometimes a tad more saturation, but that is all.  No sharpening, and almost all of the images are uncropped.

The forum software creates the smaller sizes (and probably lower dpi) that are displayed, but if you click on them you will get to the originals.

Generally I go on two hikes weekly, most of them near my home.  It looks like you live near some amazing mountains!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some small lichens and other things in this photo taken from the hull of the Peter Iredale Ship Wreck at Ft. Stevens State Park in Oregon.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!