XF23mm vs XF27mm for Street Photography

guidobartoli80

Is the 18mm really that bad as everyone suggested?

I have one and I find it sharp enough, I doubt there'll be any diff once both stopped down to f4 or smaller.

For streets I'd say 28mm equivalent is way more usable then 40mm, one stop faster doesn't hurt either.

In terms of size and weight they are both incredibly compact and light no one will find either intrusive.

I pick 18 over 27 for streets any day....

That bad, not really. It is still a good lens, the issue is actually the other way around, it's the 18-55mm kit that's way too stellar at 18mm wide open.

It is so good wide open that one must wonder why would you need to buy the prime while the zoom kit is better at that same focal length.

Straight crop from the focus point, both lenses are equally good, but when you look at the corners, you notice the zoom kit retaining more details and is a tad bit sharper, the distoring is almost none existing on the zoom, while you can detect it faintly on the corners of the 18mm. The zoom kit also focus faster with less pumping.

The 18mm being at F2 and the zoom kit at F2.8 there isn't a full stop in between so the low light capabilities are roughly the same, the small difference can be compensated by the OIS in the zoomkit. Bokeh wise, there is hardly any differences, both blurs out the background nicely

This makes the 18mm, while being small, but as much as the 27mm and not that much better when compared to the 18-55mm, why would you want to buy the prime ? Keep the zoom kit that came with your camera and use it wide open at 18mm and if some reasons you see something that needs more range, you can just zoom in instead of swap lens and miss the shot.

On the cons side, the zoom kit is herftier and larger, but it most likely came with your camera so you don't need to buy anything else to enjoy the same quality as the prime.

Only exception is if you got the 18-135mm, then the 18mm prime could make sense as a purchase. But as I said earlier, I see no point in buying a prime that performs less well than a zoom kit, I prefer to wait for the second iteration of that lens and just enjoy shooting at 27mm and 35mm for streets and the 18-135mm for when I have no freaking clue as on what I would encounter or a family travels.

One side note, if you shoot "macro" often, the 18mm wins all over, the minimal focus distance is much shorter on the prime (18cm) than the zoom kit (30cm).

It is so good wide open that one must wonder why would you need to buy the prime while the zoom kit is better at that same focal length.

So are you saying the 27 is that much better than the kit zoom @ 27mm?

This makes the 18mm, while being small, but as much as the 27mm and not that much better when compared to the 18-55mm, why would you want to buy the prime ?

Same applies to 27mm?

On the cons side, the zoom kit is herftier and larger,

That's the whole point isn't it?

Street lens is about being small, light and unobtrusive. Most importantly it's about the focal length.

Kit zoom totally defeats the purpose.

So are you saying the 27 is that much better than the kit zoom @ 27mm?

Same applies to 27mm?

That's the whole point isn't it?

Street lens is about being small, light and unobtrusive. Most importantly it's about the focal length.

Kit zoom totally defeats the purpose.

Is the 27mm much better, no, but it is better. Also, it's a general known thing that primes are to be better than zoom kits.

As for the 27mm vs 18mm, it's about 2/3 of the weight of the 18mm and 1 cm smaller, if you want something small with your camera, the 27mm is still the current smallest XF lens available to us.

I can only speak for myself, I wanted the smallest lens for streets and the 27mm fit the bill, I considered the 18mm but because of the small loss in quality compared to the zoom kit, I picked the 27mm out and got the 35mm along side.

Do I consider the 18mm to be a bad lens ? Hardly, it's a very capable lens, just not good enough for my personal preferences. For a lot of X shooters the street combo is still the 18, 27 and 35, some might swap the 27 for the 23 but again, to each their own.

Street photopgraphy is about taking picture of subjects in the streets, what you use to achieve that end depends purely on your style. I know ppl with telezoom lenses doing the streets, they get more candid shots than I can when I walk up to the subjects because they are so far away the subject hardly notice them.

I have even seen ppl doing street with the 23mm, which is certainly not small but they still pulled it out.

Thanks darknj, really interesting informations! Actually I think the best option for me is to keep the 18-55 kit and then buy the 27 for street and reportage. Eventually one day I will look into the 55-200 for long distances, but it's not quite my kind of photography.

I also considered replacing the 18-55 with 18-135, but as you said, it's heavier and less sharp, I don't think the weather-sealing and the longer focal are really worth for me.

IQ should never ever be your first priority of choosing a lens for your usage, focal length is.

I just can't agree with choosing 27mm simply because it's slightly better optically which tbh can only be spotted when pixel peeping.

Size and weight is a wash, and I much prefer having the aperture ring on the lens like my other X lens.

28mm is a very very popular focal length for street shots, just look at Ricoh GR and the new Leica Q. 40mm isn't wide nor versatile enough to truly capture the essence of streets imho.

I took my GR to Japan last year, and now that I shoot with Fuji the 18mm replaces it.

Here are a few examples -

15647868404_7ca2bcc092_b.jpg

16849316022_0cc1fb6808_b.jpg

15757184720_9809ebfd58_b.jpg

15631398094_0d96d18dab_b.jpg

The close focusing ability of the 18mm is perfect for food shot as well which the 27mm can only dream of ;)

15976092290_13af80b850_b.jpg

IQ should never ever be your first priority of choosing a lens for your usage, focal length is.

I just can't agree with choosing 27mm simply because it's slightly better optically which tbh can only be spotted when pixel peeping.

Size and weight is a wash, and I much prefer having the aperture ring on the lens like my other X lens.

28mm is a very very popular focal length for street shots, just look at Ricoh GR and the new Leica Q. 40mm isn't wide nor versatile enough to truly capture the essence of streets imho.

I took my GR to Japan last year, and now that I shoot with Fuji the 18mm replaces it.

Here are a few examples -

https://flic.kr/p/pQKq7y

IQ is not the main priority, for me it was the size of the lens. IQ was the deciding point that tiped the scale toward the 27mm instead of the 18mm.

It is not because the IQ is not important for you that it is not important for the next person.

I like the 27mm for it's size and price and one day I decide that I really prefer the view from the 18mm, I will go get the prime, the 27mm is hardly a waste on any case and I love being able to just walk out with a coat and my X-T1 with the 27mm in my pocket and not feeling bothered by the lens. Actually the optional eyecup is more annoying than the lens itself...

Also, it's not because it's popular that we have to get it, if we shots based on gear popularity the photography world would be super boring.

The focal length is based on each person's sensivity, you might think that 27mm is too thight, I find it just wide enough for how I shoot.

For you streets need to be shot wide, I like thighter framing, that's all.

If you have a blast with the 18mm, by the gods, please do enjoy it to the fullest, who are we to tell you how to enjoy your fun times ?

Photography is a matter of personal preferences and you see the world around you or you can make other see it differently than usually.

For you streets need to be shot wide, I like thighter framing, that's all.

Photography is a matter of personal preferences and you see the world around you or you can make other see it differently than usually.

Then you don't really get what is considered a 'street shot'.

Taking photos outdoor doesn't make it a steets shot, same as using a telephone lens and taking a tight candid shot of a strangers on the street isn't a street shot neither simply because there's no 'street' when the background is blurred to oblivion.

Sure photography is a matter of personal perferences, but there is certain tool that is more suitable for certain type of shot.  Truth remains, 40mm is not really a street lens whether you like it or not.

However, I'm with darknj, I still consider weight and portability more important for street photography, and for me it consists of posed/unposed pictures of strangers and situations in any urban environment, it's not the focal length that describes a photography genre.

However, I'm with darknj, I still consider weight and portability more important for street photography, and for me it consists of posed/unposed pictures of strangers and situations in any urban environment, it's not the focal length that describes a photography genre.

Compare the weight and portability of 18 and 27 again, there's negligible difference.

I take the aperture ring and 1 stop faster aperture anyday.

If focal length is non issue, would you use a 300mm for street if it's in pancake size?

Of course you can, but then you're just using the wrong tool for the wrong job.

Focal length is a number one pirority when choosing a lens for your intended usage, always has been.

Taking photos outdoor doesn't make it a steets shot, same as using a telephone lens and taking a tight candid shot of a strangers on the street isn't a street shot neither simply because there's no 'street' when the background is blurred to oblivion.

Sure photography is a matter of personal perferences, but there is certain tool that is more suitable for certain type of shot.  Truth remains, 40mm is not really a street lens whether you like it or not.

I assume that Henri Cartier-Bresson is just a button presser who didn't knew enough about street photography because he shot at 50mm...

Look mate, I am not here to start an argument about who's right or wrong, I came here to provide my point of view, which you disagree with and that's perfectly fine with me. 

Now for the sake of moving forward in this thread, can we agree that we disagree ?

There are street photographers that shoot in 35 and even 50.  You going to go tell them that they aren't street photographers?  All the street photographers out there making a living with the X100 series, that aren't street photographers because they aren't shooting the right focal length.

I don't understand the need to feel that you aren't shooting street if you aren't shooting wider than 35.  That's a ridiculous and asinine statement if I've ever heard one.

Street is subject, not focal length.

the XF23 has a much better image quality than the XF27, or at least i notice such a difference. the XF23 (35mm equivalent) is my all-time favourite field of view for everything especially the streets. anything past the 35mm fov is too tight for me. i'm not fond of the 50mm/standard fov for streets/docu. i prefer capturing more of the entire scene especially when i tend to be up closer to people where a wider angle helps. and i can always crop if i need to. though i love the image quality of the XF23, the size is all wrong. and though i love the size of teh XF27, the fov is too tight for my tastes and is kind awkward for me - it's like.. either be wider or be a 50mm/standard already. so, i'd have to choose the XF18. it's pancake enough even with an aperture ring, though i'd prefer it were a dof scale.

something i wish Fuji would do is bring us a street photography line of lenses that are small (dof scale, please) even if it means being a bit slower.

After agonizing myself, I got the 27mm. The price + size/weight is just so much better. I don't mind having it on my neck all day, couldn't feel it. A small sacrifice for the willingness to always carry it around.

This review was the one that really sold me: http://www.flixelpix.com/gear/fujifilm-27mm-review/

I have a 27mm for street, a 18-135 for hikes and travelling, might add a 90mm and the 14mm someday but its pretty far off

Get an X-E2 or X-T10 depending on whether yo uprefer SLR or Rangefinder form factor. X-E2 is less threatening looks like a point and shoot.

Get the 18-55mm kit at 18mm the kit is better than the 18mm prime in terms of distortion and is only marginally slower, and for street that does not matter, see below.

Get the 27mm its much better for street more inconspicous and yes its a tiny bit longer, but if thats a problem you can use the 18-55 above occasionally at 23mm (or lower if you want)

The above will give you 18mm and 27mm both at F2.8 given a lot of street photographers want lots of DOF most (including myself) shoot at between F5.6 and F8 so the fact that these lens don't go down to 1.4 does not matter. Plus you will have the other focal lengths of the zoom until you are ready to get another prime.

This would give you a very light (quite cheap if you get a SH X-E2) street kit, and down the line you could round out with a 35mm or 56mm to get a fast portrait/low light lens if you are really missing that.

I have currently

18-55mm

27mm

35mm

X-E2

oh and I have the 55-200mm but that is more for family use grabbing pictures of animals at the zoo with my daughter, candid portraits of her playing in the playground when I don't want to get too close etc. Not applicable to street.

My next step is probably to sell the 18-55 and 55-200 and get a 18-135 as my family lens to save the faffing of changing lens and I don't seem to ever use my 200mm past about 140mm based on my exif data.

So my next setup will be

Street

X-T1

27mm

35mm

Family

X-T1

18-135mm

35mm

Both the above setups fit in a Tenba DNA 8 bag so i can travel light either when doing street or on vacation.

EDIT

Returned LX100 it was not for me. The Video was amazing, but I wanted a camera that I could shoot video on and might give some nice stills, I had a GH1 with Leica 25mm on it so I thought LX100 with a newer sensor and a Leica zoom might get me close. Nope not close to GH1 25mm setup and a million miles from Fuji shots, just did not cut it so got rid and have instead got an X-T1 as I got a deal on the kit with 18-135mm that was too good to pass up, so have edited above kits to reflect current setup.

The only downside of this is that for street I now have a slightly more noticable camera, but given I will only be using it with 27mm and 35mm I think I can get away with it, it still look like an ol film camera, so fingers crossed.

Ok, nice to see all those comments... it seems the 27mm is going to win this "battle" for street photography! ;)

GordonRussell, I was thinking about a street setup very similar to your first one, but with X-T1 instead of X-E2 for better control, grip and EVF.

The 55-200mm and the 18-135mm would be eventually in the future to complement or replace the 18-55mm, which actually turns out to be a really amazing lens, I keep reading wonderful reviews about it.

Ok, nice to see all those comments... it seems the 27mm is going to win this "battle" for street photography! ;)

GordonRussell, I was thinking about a street setup very similar to your first one, but with X-T1 instead of X-E2 for better control, grip and EVF.

The 55-200mm and the 18-135mm would be eventually in the future to complement or replace the 18-55mm, which actually turns out to be a really amazing lens, I keep reading wonderful reviews about it.

The 18-135 is lens of compromise, you lose a bit of light/speed and some sharpness to have something that will almost be able to bring you back a picture of whatever you point it at.

The 5 stops OIS is also really nice, I can often shot at 1/20 even fully extended at 135mm handheld and not have a speckle of camera shake.

Guido

You can't go wrong with an X-T1 its a phenomenal camera. However in terms of grip I have the Handgrip that fuji sells and to be honest I prefer how it feels in the hand to the X-t1, go try some out.

For me the main advantages of the X-T1 are

Larger EVF

ISO Dial

Flip screen

personally for stree the only one of these that you can't work around is the EVF.

I have taken many shots at weird angles without flip screen, you just take 3/4 shots rather than 1 till you get something you like, and you get pretty good at guessing I also find I sometimes get some great 'accident' shots this way. its all creativity baby.

THe ISO dial you can work around as well, I set my Aperture to desired setting say 5.6 Auto ISO limit 3200 and SS limit of 200/250 and shutter dial to Auto , the camera will then use Auto ISO to expose while keeping a nice fast SS speed and you can use the Exp dial to manipulate the camera to be brighter or darker to taste same as you would with an ISO dial in full M mode on the fuji.

Off course with the X-T10 you can do the same as above but in full M mode, and with the coming firmware on X-E2 you will also hopefully be able to do this.

Personally I prefer X-E2 form factor for street, there is less camera showing outside you hand when you shoot, you also have half your face uncovered so if you do make eye contact with someone you can non-verbally communicate with them more effectively and sometimes still get the shot.

My 2 pennyworth, but the lens discussed above with a X-T1 you will 100% have a tehcnically veyr proficient Street cam.

Its interesting I just got a LX100 for video and I was playing with it for stills and even with a Leica designed lens on it, it just can't hold a candle to the Fuji

If fuji get 4k right in the next generation, they are going to have a hell of a product on their hands.

G

PS I prefer the ergonomics of using the EV button to fine tune exposure as opposed to the ISO anyway, as i like to have my left hand on the lens allowing for quick focus corrections etc, so this way I can leave both my hands where they are comfortable all the time, moving my hand back to ISO knob would slow me down and involve me taking my eye from EVF.

To be honest having EV in M mode is the thing I am looking forward to most in the X-E2 although part of me wanders if we will get it.

Mind you the X-T10 has it which I find amazing as it menas that the only differnece between the X-t10 and 1 now in my opinion is

EVF

Weather sealing

Burst rate

2 of which for my photography I just don't care about.

On the X-T1 I have the 23mm 1.4 and the pancake 27mm. I oscillated between both for a while. I love how sharp and useable the 23mm is and it just feels like image quality is a step above that of the 27mm. Whether it was the slight change in focal length (43mm equivalent) or the glass, or just me (likely) I was not happy with what the 27mm was producing. On the other hand, the size and weight of the 27mm is super convenient and effectively transforms the XT-1 into the smaller X100s form factor.

I chose to stick with the 23 mainly due to ergonomics of the aperture ring and the field of view being more to my taste. However you might want the 27 because of the form factor or the closer FL. it's a win win situation but these are matters of personal preference.

Ok my personal pov coming up next:

I don't buy the 'inconspicuous' thing. I think that's a big misconception in street photography. Your demeanour attitude confidence personality have a much larger role to play in my opinion. I decided to stop agonising over this issue, sold one of the lenses and for the past year have gotten used to that lens to the point where I know it so well I can focus on the image and my composition and because I am confident with my gear I get noticed less anyway. (Weight is not an issue for me either with the 23. I carry it around my neck or shoulder with those beatiful Japanese silk straps and it is supremely comfortable. )

Allow yourself to be "that guy with the camera " in your neighbourhood, don't be sneaky, talk to people who see you shooting, and soon you will be invisible. I accepted the fact that people will ask me what I am doing who I am shooting for why did I take their picture etc. then magically all of a sudden they stopped asking (well less and less).

I realise that's only one approach to street and that's my style and it suits me. It may not suit you but I hope to give you some input for your own journey. I know you only asked about a lens right? And some guy gets all preachy!! Sorry can't help it I love photography ;-)

Worry less about your lens choice and more about the opportunity cost of not shooting whilst you deliberate. You cannot go wrong with this wonderful set of tools. Good luck ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got the X-T10. With the 27, it will fit in my ScottE vest pocket. I've been shooting with the 27 for 2 years now and have gotten to really love life at 40mm. The people who say that it's too slow are living in their heads. With the excellent high-ISO capability of Fujis there is no problem. I owned the 23, but sold it. It's a brilliant lens, but fits in between for me. It's too big to be unobtrusive on the street street. It's too long for landscapes and too wide for a lot of studio work. If I did more traditional documentary, it would be great. I don't.

I put the 27 at f/8, hyper-focus at about 8 feet and forget about focusing. It's all there. The lens is brilliantly sharp, has great contrast and makes the camera unobtrusive. On the X-T10, the kit looks like a point and shoot and won't catch attention. Add in the totally silent electronic shutter and you fly under the radar.

as far as control between the X-E2 and the X-T1 goes, the X-E2 is still quick to control.

on the X-T1:

- the unlock button has to be held down to turn the ISO dial.

- (blasphemy) Fuji for not allowing different ISO-Auto settings in your presets whilst ISO dial is on A(uto). when i scroll between different presets in the Q menu, i still have to go to the ISO-Auto menu to manually change those settings. for example, on the X-E2, i can save a 200-800 preset and a 200-1600 preset (for when i briefly step into low light areas in the daytime) which takes a simple scroll from one preset to the other in Q menu.

- the EVF is just bigger, not necessary any more clearer. the X-E2 EVF is still really good. but one thing i notice is how much noise there is in Fuji's EVFs especially in low light when compared to.. Lumix EVFs which are really clean.

- you can always get a grip for the X-E2. the cheap ones have gotten even cheaper thse days. i even got one for the X-T1 since the grip wasn't sufficient enough for my hands.

- and i don't even want to get started on the 4-way buttons.

but i guess since you plan on getting those zooms, you're probably far better off with the the X-T1/0's focusing capabilities. good luck and don't forget to share your pics.