XF23mm vs XF27mm for Street Photography

guidobartoli80

If XF23mm also means the lens of the X100 series then go for it...

For me Street Photography is about getting much of a scene (including many DOF) into the frame and get as close as necessary to the subject. So my answer would be 23mm or even less (XF18). But Street Photography is also about being inconspicious. So according to this my answer definitely is XF27. It's a fact that I sold my 23/1.4 because it was to big for such a focal length. I'd rather go with the X100T or S. Here is a nice video from Matt Hart. He has some nice thoughts about this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK0r4dACJZg.

By the way with the option of the two lens converters of the X100 series you're making this camera a bit more versatile.

Thanks for the reply, I will take a look at the video!

I actually was thinking about buying a X-T1 or a X-T10 with a zoom kit lens (18-55 or 18-135) for everyday/vacation use and a fixed light lens for street photography/reportage. The X100T is really really nice, but I think I prefer the EVF only instead of OVF+EVF and I would find it a bit limiting having to often change converter while wandering around. Many suggest than 35mm FF equivalent is optimal for street photography, so I thought about the XF23, but when I saw (and tried) the XF27 I was in doubt because for 2 stop and a little focal length less, I could have a REALLY light and portable setup.

I was wondering if anybody had similar doubts and what are his/her findings...

It's unlikely that you need F1.4 for street unless you like to shoot at dusk(?), and the size of the 23/1.4 would scare away some people. It's better to look like a tourist than a pro .. perception can be everything. I think that even the Graphite X-T1 would be best because that makes it look more fancy than professional, making people curious instead of nervous .. just thinking out loud here.

As you've seen, the image quality of the 27mm is impeccable. The X-T10 looks harmless as well in both colors i guess, it's tiny (too tiny for some hands). The main reason to get the X-T1 over the X-T10 is the larger viewfinder, but that's just a luxury .. as are most of the other small differences.

As for the focal length, read this: http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2014/11/storytellers-kit-daniel-schaefer/

I've only got the 14mm and the 23mm.  I agree the 23mm is, unfortunately, larger than I'd like.  I wish they'd made it an f/2, although getting rid of AF would have done the most to shrink it.

On the street, even with the 23mm, my XE1 is so small and dorky looking that folks don't pay it (plus the 23mm) much mind.

Neither.

23 is too big and bulky, whereas 27 is too slow and narrow.

X100T is not bad (I own one), but it's overpriced imo, no articulating screen and way too soft and hazy at macro range.

Therefore your best bet is 18 - small size, relatively cheap, has an aperture ring unlike the 27, and wider than 23 (just crop a lil if required).

In fact that's exactly why I bought mine.

Mmmhh ok, so, considering remaining on X-T1 or X-T10 for other interchangeable lenses, the choice practically is between 18mm and 27mm... Do you think 27 is maybe too narrow? The smaller aperture, however shouldn't be a problem in street photography, I've seen the majority of pictures are taken in the f/5.6-11 range..

We can't decide for you if you find 27mm too narrow. I'd personally prefer 27mm for street (don't like too narrow for street) but as you can read on the internet everybody has a different preference. 

They're both really small but the 27mm is almost half the length of the 18mm (23mm vs 41mm) and that makes the camera really pocketable.

Ok, thanks for your opinions guys, I considered them and made some tests with my soon-to-be-replaced Nikon APS-C with a zoom set on 27mm and it seems good for capturing candid and posed street portraits, so I think I will surely go for that pancake! :)

I use it lots of times on my camera. Makes it a small package.

I hesitated for a long time between the 18mm and the 27mm and finaly decided to grab the 27mm for the super small form, a black body X-T1 ppl hardly notice that I am holding a real camera and ppl often confuse it with a regular point and shoot.

Plus side, it's quite a lot lighter and small, easy on your hand and less space needed in your bag if you go walking around for hours. If you are afraid to drop it, a wrist wrap is sufficient enough.

The deciding point for me was the 18mm being losing in sharpness against the 18-55mm zoom kit wide open, I could be tempted to buy the second iteration of the 18mm but the current version just doesn't work for me.

my setup for the street is the 27mm strapped on the X-T1 and the 35mm as backup when light is become a scarce resource.

Good point, darknj!

Yesterday, on DPReview a "first impression" article on the X-T10 with 27mm compared to the X100T has appeared: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-x-t10/7

They also evaluated carrying around both camera for street photography and in the end they find them pretty similar in performance, price and weight, with the X-T10 (like the X-T1) having the advantage of interchangeable lenses for building a more complete system. They consider the X-E2, too, but until the firmware is not upgraded, it is considered inferior.

My vote is for the 27mm.  It's the perfect inconspicuous street lens.  If you want a street portraiture lens I'd move more towards the 23mm.  Here are some of my shots with the X-E2 paired with the 27mm.

14880110991_6c443bf4e5_c.jpguntitled-31 by dacalac, on Flickr

14880698574_a64f3d2c3b_c.jpguntitled-39 by dacalac, on Flickr

14882823232_dbc4c9c7db_c.jpguntitled-29 by dacalac, on Flickr

14882822592_31a22d1d2b_c.jpguntitled-33 by dacalac, on Flickr

Nice! I will partecipate in the next Eric Kim Workshop in Amsterdam on July 10-12, maybe I could ask him about that! ;)

I always purchased from eGlobalCentral, which really has the lowest prices, but unfortunately they do not have the 27mm... :(

http://www.eglobalcentral.co.it/fotocamera/obiettivi/fujifilm-it-2/

At the moment, it is available on Amazon at discounted price (€337): http://www.amazon.it/Fujifilm-Fujinon-Obiettivo-Pancake-Attacco/dp/B00DLQVUXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435854170&sr=8-1&keywords=fuji+xf27

Being a 28/50/90 (ff equivalent) kind of guy, I'd be naturally attracted by a 18/35/60 combo. I already have the 60 but the 18 being a bit weaker than the zoom, I never got around completing my 3-primes kit.

I am now thinking seriously about the 27 instead. I can get it for 250€ after cash back.

Trouble is it probably would not quench my thirst for the 34 1.4, and/or may push me towards a more expensive wide prime (14 or 16 vs 18).

Eric Kim said he got the 27 for 200. Wish I could find that deal, it'd be on my X-T1 right now if I could.

The 27 has always been on my wish list. But so has the X100s/t as well.

Don't forget that until the end of July you can get cash back for your XF lenses, depending on where you are living, the deal could be quite good.

Second point, the XF lenses are good enough to be reliably purchased second handed, evilBay have them pop up on semi regular basis, just need to be on the look-out. I think there was a great deal for one from CameraLand not so long ago.

Nice! I will partecipate in the next Eric Kim Workshop in Amsterdam on July 10-12, maybe I could ask him about that! ;)

I always purchased from eGlobalCentral, which really has the lowest prices, but unfortunately they do not have the 27mm... :(

http://www.eglobalcentral.co.it/fotocamera/obiettivi/fujifilm-it-2/

At the moment, it is available on Amazon at discounted price (€337): http://www.amazon.it/Fujifilm-Fujinon-Obiettivo-Pancake-Attacco/dp/B00DLQVUXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435854170&sr=8-1&keywords=fuji+xf27

That should be a great workshop.  Eric Kim has a great style and his personality seems really great.  I've read his blog and watched his videos for years.  Seems like you get a lot out of his workshops.  Would love to take one some day.

Don't forget that until the end of July you can get cash back for your XF lenses, depending on where you are living, the deal could be quite good.

Second point, the XF lenses are good enough to be reliably purchased second handed, evilBay have them pop up on semi regular basis, just need to be on the look-out. I think there was a great deal for one from CameraLand not so long ago.

Thought these ran out on the 27th of June.  Will have to look into this some more.  I managed to grab the 35 1.4 before it shot back up to 600, and the 55-200 before it shot up as well, but not grab the 27 which was also on my list.

Is the 18mm really that bad as everyone suggested?

I have one and I find it sharp enough, I doubt there'll be any diff once both stopped down to f4 or smaller.

For streets I'd say 28mm equivalent is way more usable than 40mm, one stop faster doesn't hurt either.

In terms of size and weight they are both incredibly compact and light no one will find either intrusive.

I pick 18 over 27 for streets any day....