Nissin i40 flash + XT2

Tug

Hi   When I have my i40 attached to my XT2 and switch the flash of it sometimes makes a popping/crackling sound like it may be shorting out. As far as I have read the i40 is compatible with the XT2. Does anybody have any idea what may be causing this and should I stop using the flash as I am worried it might damage the camera

Regards  Tug

Hi Tug, I had this popping/crackling when using a Fuji EF-X500 flashgun with an off-camera shoe cord (the recommended Canon-compatible type). It was indeed shorting out, and the flash became useless. The problem seemed to be a slight mismatch between the connections, because the flash had previously worked fine in the camera hotshoe. My guess is that your Nissin i40's contacts don't quite line up with those in the camera hotshoe, and I'd be worried about continuing to use it there - but I'm no expert! You could test it with a Canon off-camera shoe cord to see if the problem goes away with a different set of hotshoe contacts; if it does, then a mismatch with the XT-2 hotshoe is likely to be your problem. Incidentally, Fuji recommends that you should always turn on the flash before turning on the camera. I don't know if that makes a difference to the crackling? Good luck, anyway.

Edited by dfaye