Do you think the photos are nice?

peterboy

Hi ~ Hello everyone!

I am from Taipei, Taiwan, I took this photo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Is in Taiwan Kinmen County to participate in a photography competition, won the finalists in the competition group, but also in the network popular award list, if you agree with the photos look good, beautiful, enough level, trouble to facebook search this photo to help by praise Thank you!

The polling time is until 10:00 on October 13, 2017

Use Fujifilm X-T2 + Fujifilm XF 16-55mm F2.8 R LM WR to shoot

Destination URL:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Graphically, the bottom half of the image is not uninteresting. There's some kind of pattern with triangles - the flag, the shadow on the ground beneath it and the triangle formed by the extended arm of the sunlit man in front, and going down, the back of the silhouette continued by the shadow on the ground. There's also the adjacent black triangle formed by the roof shadow, whose upper side goes top left.

I like how the dark silhouette of the man and white markings on his shirt echo the black flag as well. The colors are interesting, adding vividness to the scene.

Other than that, I agree that it's not obvious what the image is really about, and the top half is little more than your typical holiday snapshot.

I'm with Hermelin.  It does look like a random snapshot without any thought to composition, framing, or subject matter. If it's intended as street, I also see no decisive nor interesting moment.  The stone arch looks like it would be interesting in person, as would the two tattooed characters.  But a photo of interesting subjects does not necessarily make an interesting photo.

Random snapshots can be fun and have lots of personal value to the photographer.  But that doesn't mean they have to mean anything to the rest of us.  For me, one of the most challenging aspects of learning photography was/is learning the difference between photos that have a personal, sentimental value and photos that have value to unbiased, neutral viewers.

Harry-angel, by going after Hermelin's photos you might be getting a little too defensive.  Criticism is OK, especially when people are directly asking for it (OP: "Do you think the photos are nice?" Hermelin: "No.").  There was nothing rude or mean about Hermelin's response.  Not everyone needs hand-holding or coddling.

Just my two cents.  Not trying to rant or offend, just stating my own opinion.  Feel free to disagree.

Edited by kimballistic

I agree too. There’s some interesting stuff happening, and some interesting-looking people, and there’s a photogenic arch in the background. In the right hands, the scene might have made a good photo.

A moment earlier, or a moment later, and the opening of the arch might have acted as a frame-within-a-frame to isolate one or more of the figures - especially if the photographer had taken a step or two to the right so that the camera was pointing directly forwards rather than angled to the right.

A step back, and the whole of the arch could have been in shot, without the incomplete edges and without the sloping edges and figures cut off at the knee caused by the upward tilt of the camera.

A page or two forwards and we could have a closer crop on the scene, with the stonework filling the frame and closer waist-up shots of the figures.

However, this is just a snapshot.

I see no skill or composition in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

Hello Hermelin,

No offense meant but did you ever have a critical look at your own photos....?

I’m sorry, but I’d say that is is exactly what you’re doing yourself: you point the camera at random street “scenes” and post them here. I don’t see big stories in your pictures either.

I'm sorry but I disagree. There's a big difference between the shot in this thread and my shots. I wouldn't even bother taking a shot like this. This picture is all over the place and my eyes don't know what to look at.

My photos aren't perfect but at least there is a clear subject in them. But this thread wasn't about my photography... This guy asked an opinion and I gave my honest opinon. I don't remember asking you about your opinion on my photos however.

Edited by Hermelin