Concerned about moving from DSLR to Fuji again!

RoyC

I have been lurking here for years after owning an Xt1 and Xt10 for about a year. I experienced frustration in low light AF and AF in general, after selling my Nikon D750 and all Nikon gear to make the switch. Eventually I went back to the D750 as the low light AF of the Xt1 was just so frustrating (owned 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 10-24 & 18-55 lenses). This was just before the big firmware upgrade. The D-pad button issue certainly didn't help much either.

So I am now considering the Xt2 after offloading my DSLR gear yet again due to the weight and size discomfort, particularly for travel. I have spent a little while in the M43 camp but unfortunately noise over ISO 1600 is limiting on the EM5 Mk2.

I am considering the XT2 but am a little nervous about my prior experience.

My primary shooting is Travel, landscape and documentary type photography and was considering the XT2 with 35f1.4, 56f1.2 and either the 10-24 or the 16-55f2.8.

Due to deteriorating eyesight I am no longer having the manual focusing success I used to with my walk around camera ( Leica M9, 50/2 Summicron) so am picking up a X100F this week, hence not including a 23mm in the lens list above.

Any thoughts, advice, comments or reassurances would be welcome please...

I've been on holiday in Europe, shooting in dark bars and various night-lighted streets - often without the encumbrance of a tripod.

Going through my photos on the computer at home, I've been delighted to see the results where I've taken the ISO off the automatic setting and just cranked it as high as necessary to get a sharp hand-held image; all with the 16 - 55 mm f 2.8 zoom.

Me too I enjoyed trying low-light street and harbour scenes whilst in Jersey recently I used the tiny EF-X8 on all of those images and I am very pleased with the results.

The firmware update on the X-T1 brought its AF up to what the X-T10 has. Since you have experience with the X-T10, you've got a really good idea what the X-T1 with the updated AF can do.

What kind of AF issues did you have? If you have enough light to get a picture, you should have enough light to do contrast-detect AF. If you need flash to get enough light to get a picture, that's a different matter. I don't have any trouble getting solid CDAF out of my X-T10 as long as there's some proper contrast within the AF box -- even in low light. Heck, even cheap point-and-shoot cameras can CDAF in low light, as can my mobile phone.

The X-T2's CDAF should be about the same as the X-T1, X-T10, etc. There's not really any magic in CDAF... digital cameras have been doing it from the beginning, decades ago. There was an update that increased the lens focusing speed in CDAF for the X-Pro2 (and presumably the other X-Trans III cameras) with certain lenses (mostly LM zooms). But that's just focusing speed, which shouldn't be crucial for "travel, landscape and documentary type photography."

Bear in mind that the bright primes (f/1.2 and f/1.4) will generally be pretty slow in focusing, especially with CDAF -- there's an awful lot of glass to be moved back and forth in those lenses. Regardless, given a second or two, you should be able to achieve focus unless you're pointing at something featureless.

The X-T2 got a number of upgrades for AF-C tracking, including the ability to use phase-detect AF down to -3 Ev (well, that's the claim). The X-Trans III sensor also has PDAF sensors over a much larger area.

I use a Fujifilm XT20. I love it! It is light, silent (with focus beep turned off and electronic shutter) and fun to use with the different dials. AF is good, photos are good. I really just enjoy using it a lot!

I also use a Canon 5D Mark IV. I also love that one. The low light performance is better. The dynamic range is better. Granted this could just be a matter of my opinion, but I like the images and the sharpness produced from this one better.

But it is heavy, cumbersome, and not nearly as fun to carry or use.

I have and love both for different reasons. I use both for different reasons. 

Thank you for the helpful responses. Fujifilm SA has offered to loan me an XT2 for a few days next week and will have an opportunity to evaluate. My instincts and research seem to indicate that it will be a good experience but will check it out. 

I used to be a one camera shooter and found that I would leave the heavy DSLR at home except for planned shoots as a result of the bulk and weight. Of course the old adage that the best camera is the one you have with you when the opportunity presents itself proved to be true so many lost opportunities were not captured as a result. Perhaps as I have progressed to more than one camera with the Leica M9 and an incoming Fuji X100F for general and street photog, it may be time to reconsider the DSLR again for specific Landscape Options etc. However, when I consider the details regarding my actual needs i.e. print size, travel portability etc I have a feeling that the XT2 will be the correct choice.

• 3 months later...

Sounds like commitment issues?  I sold/gave away ALL my Nikon gear except a D700 and several lenses - including a D800, a D800e, D300, and a D3.

I have never, ever looked back.  As a matter of fact I now pull out the D700 with all the good intentions to use it and as soon as I look through the viewfinder I just wind up putting it away again.  Yuk.

You will find the 56 1.2 still a little, or very, frustrating in low light, as well as the 35 1.4 or 23 1.4, can be finicky in low light.

In all other venues, such as travel and landscape, it's fantastic system.

Low light image quality excellent.

You will find the 56 1.2 still a little, or very, frustrating in low light, as well as the 35 1.4 or 23 1.4, can be finicky in low light.

I owned the 56 1.2 for about a week.  Was shooting an event in a very well lit area.  POS refused to lock focus on the first, second and sometimes third or fourth attempt.  I switched over to my 35 1.4, and the 18-55 and it was bliss after that.  That happened on a Sunday.  The 56 went back on Monday.  Never again.  The amount of $ Fuji wants for that lens is not worth it (to me). Screw the "bokeh"  I can get just as nice with my 35 1.4, and with a manual 50 1.8 M42 screw mount pentacon

Ahh... though I must admit the 56 1.2 makes fantastic images. My two bodies are pretty much mated with a 23 f 1.4 or f2 (for travel) and the 56 1.2 ....The 56 mm (85mm) is a tough focal length to go without. It's all a compromise.

I'm facing the same dilemma and am on the fence with sticking with the D750 or going to the X-T2.  I've been using the X-T1 and frankly there is simply no comparison with the D750.  I seem to get much better results with far less effort from the Nikon.  I can work much faster and find no discernible difference in the images coming out of my $350 Nikkor 85mm and the Fuji 56mm...none at all.  The D750 will focus in near cave darkness without the focus assist lamp and it nails focus 100% of the time without fail.  White balance is much easier and what I see on the monitor is much more consistent in bringing things into LR than than the X-T1.  The high ISO is butter smooth and of course the depth of field from the full frame sensor seems like much more than just a single stop of bokeh. The problem is reliability.  My D750 died today and had to go in for repair a 2nd time and wasn't even in the recalled batch.  Moving into the realm of trying to become a part time professional and dead cameras simply can't happen.  Ever.  Yeah I know you need a backup.  D750 is the lightest and smallest FX DSLR there is, which is the beauty of it.  Unfortunately people are having all kinds of issues with the D750 mirror and shutters regardless of camera age or shutter count and in many cases Nikon either can't replicate the fault or the cameras come back with the same issue or worse.  Going to a bigger DSLR of course means a massive delta in size and weight of the camera vs Fuji.  No news yet on a follow up D760??

At the end of the day I may rent an X-T2 for a week and really give it a workout as opposed to wondering and guessing how I might like it and to really assess the differences vs the older X-T1 which I find very sluggish.  

I shoot Nikon D750 and Fujifilm XT20. Nikon has a perfect grip, it gives me an easy pic in virtually complete darkness and with a better dynamic depth.

One might ask, why Fujifilm then?... The answer is simple: the weight and the magic. But you already knew that, didn't you.

And now they are coming with X-H1?... No, I won't be buying that.

I have never used a D750 so I can't make a comparison but I can say that the X-T2 low light focusing is much better than the X-T1s. I wonder if you could borrow one to try it?

I have a D700 and x-t1, too. But focusing with x-t1 the subjects  that are moving, the difference between x-t1 and nikond700 is very very deep. I could say that AF-C with the X-T1 .... does not exist. IT is impossible to focus also if there is a lot of light. The firmware of x-t1 (5.40) does not permit to focus a moving subject

Edited by bergat