Have both X100S/T and 23mm 1.4?

chaosboi

Had a X100S since release and recently purchased the X-T1.

My favourite field of view is 35mm (full frame) and as much as I love my X100S I'm thinking about adding the 23mm 1.4 to my new X-T1 lens line up.

Who has both X100 cameras and a 23mm 1.4 for an interchangeable? Do you find any benefits from having both?

Waste of $$$ or use both for different purposes?

My local camera shop has 10% off over the next 3 days so trying to make a quick decision which way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love having the X100T, and a X-T1 with either 14mm or 56mm. Great combo. I'm planning on adding the TCL for the X100T, so it can be a bit more versatile in combo with the 14mm.

Keep the X100s. It's so great when you will travel light with only one camera and no hassle.

The 23mm f/1,4 is great, but I think you will miss the compactness of the X100s if you sell it.

I've got both the X100T and the XF 23mm/1.4 on the X-T1. It's a mess, because YES, the lens is THAT much better than the X100T (not that there's too much wrong with it, the XF is just pretty damn awesome), and the X100T is just THAT much smaller and far less heavy. I feel the difference is even bigger than in the "VS." So I can't really get myself to part ways with either one of them.

Anyway: I got the XF first and with a 150€ cashback, so it was a different story. It was what made me fall in love with the 35-equivalent and the desire for something lighter and smaller. In your case, for only 10% off, I think it's a waste of $$$ unless you really NEED the additional speed or find yourself shooting the X100S really often very close and wide open, because that's the situation where the XF really excells.

Hope I could help.

I have both and use one for work (X-T1 with 23mm) and one for my personal use. Th e one time I tried using the X100 T for commercial work I got 2 minutes in before putting it back in my bag and taking out the X-T1. I just found it harder to use fast - the X100T is all about slowing down and taking time for me.

As others said already, the 23 XF 1.4 R is the optically superior lens. Sharpness, especially when focusing close, is so much better than the X100 lens can deliver. Stopped down to f/8 or even smaller the difference vanishes.

You can make great pictures with both lenses but I far prefer the 23mm lens to the X100.

I prefer X100s for leaf shutter and compact size. I'd use XF only for rapid shooting due to 1 stop aperture and faster AF. But I like 16mm FL for this more.

Forget about IQ difference. XF is better on tests but for real shooting they are the same. X100 series lens is great.

As wide angle lenses are used for getting up close, I think the practical IQ difference is quite important and I cannot support the statement "but for real shooting they are the same". Everytime I had to get close (e.g. for details) I had to stop down the X100 lens to f/5.6 to get an acceptable quality. The 23 1.4 offers a MUCH better close up quality. The X100 lens wide open and up close produces milky, soft results. Depending on the usage and the user it can be of utmost importance (e.g. for me) or of roughly no importance at all (probably Dis and many other users).

Most noticeable at close range, but really at any focus distance the X100 doesn't come close to the XF23 when shot at F2 and even F2.8. It bugs me all the time with 'real' shooting, in fact i didn't even do a test chart.

*Don't have the XF23, but everything i've seen clearly looks much better. Mirrorlessons did somewhat of a comparison too: http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2013/10/28/the-fujinon-xf-23mm-f1-4-hands-on-comparison-with-the-x100s-2/

Depending on the usage and the user it can be of utmost importance (e.g. for me) or of roughly no importance at all (probably Dis and many other users).

Probably you're right. I rarely use X100s wide open at close distances because of DOF limitations. I rather lit the scene and shoot at f/8-f/11 or do casual shooting at a meter distance at f/2. Nevertheless at normal distances even at f/2 X100s is more than sharp. I do severe crops sometimes and never had a problem with the lack of sharpness. AF unreliability is much more serious issue.

Digidirect 10% ends tomorrow.

Same place...same thoughts...just bought the 16mm from them so I decided for something a bit more different to compliment my lineup. So ill hang in there and hope for a bigger price drop on the 23mm and will get it then.