Why is the trash button useless in shooting mode?

Is anyone else really annoyed that the trash icon button can't be assigned a "function button" for use in shooting mode? It makes no sense to me, as it never does anything unless you are in playback. There surely isn't a technical reason why it can't be re-assigned the way the video and d-pad buttons can. I can't think of a good ergonomic reason either, it's not a button I'm hitting by accident (on the X-T10 anyway). 

Making it customizeable would be super useful and increase the value of the cameras with no downside. Fuji if you're listening please just make it work like it should!

(I'd love to put Shutter type or Face Detection on/off there, next to the drive mode dial since they often need to be changed together to get CH+AF-C working together).

Why not make AE-L and AF-L customisable? Better yet, why not make it so you can change focus points once AE-L is activated? So many improvements could be made!

I agree with you, but there is also an answer to your first question: AT LEAST THEY DO SOMETHING IN SHOOTING MODE ALREADY! 

The trash icon is particularly onerous because it's totally useless right now, so making it a function button would be win-win. The AF-L and AE-L buttons are important enough that you could at least argue they always need to be available. That said I'm with you, the ability to treat them as generic buttons (and assign AF-L/AE-L to other function buttons) would be extremely welcome!

P.S. I'm being a bit strategic in my posts, hoping that if Fuji IS listening threads about specific fixes will be more convincing than generic threads covering dozens of potential improvements ;) )

P.S. I'm being a bit strategic in my posts, hoping that if Fuji IS listening threads about specific fixes will be more convincing than generic threads covering dozens of potential improvements ;) )

Fuji usually doesn't care about forum posts. If you want them to listen, write them an email. 

Is anyone else really annoyed that the trash icon button can't be assigned a "function button" for use in shooting mode?

Nope. Never even thought of it. Why would I want to delete anything in shooting mode? Would just be confusing.

What's next, I want to be able to focus track in playback mode?

Nope. Never even thought of it. Why would I want to delete anything in shooting mode? Would just be confusing.

What's next, I want to be able to focus track in playback mode?

You misunderstood. What we want is to make the button act like the video button on top of the camera: programmable in shooting mode so it can do things like ISO/AF Type/Shutter/WB.

Is anyone else really annoyed that the trash icon button can't be assigned a "function button" for use in shooting mode?

The trash button is on the left side of the camera. It would be not convenient to use this button during shooting. Thus I'm not annoyed. IMO trash as Fn is welcome but not necessary.

While that may be true, ‘shooting mode’ is not the same as ‘shooting’.

I mean that in order to use this button you have to take your eye off the camera and take your left hand from the lens. I use every current Fn button with my eye to the viewfinder. Once again it's not a problem. More Fn = better. This button is just not as convenient as others.

I mean that in order to use this button you have to take your eye off the camera and take your left hand from the lens. I use every current Fn button with my eye to the viewfinder. Once again it's not a problem. More Fn = better. This button is just not as convenient as others.

You have to do that for numerous things ... that doesn't mean it couldn't be put to good use. Offering the option is extremely simple and hurts no-one.

I mean that in order to use this button you have to take your eye off the camera

Yeah, but nobody is suggesting the button should be used while shooting. Again, ‘shooting mode’ doesn’t imply shooting. The camera is in shooting mode most of the time it is switched on and the delete button could just as well be assigned some function in that mode.

Fair point but unlike the others I disagree on even your premise.

I often shoot with my left eye on the viewfinder (got used to it on X-E1 because I found the camera more balanced that way) which obviously makes pushing the trash button while looking through the EVF reasonable. Even while shooting with my right eye, I don't find it a problem to push the trash button while looking through the EVF. Sure I need to take my hand off the lens, but I can hold my composition and get back to shooting very quickly. 

Remember: What we're comparing this "inconvenient" location to is using either the Q menu or the actual menu menu to change a setting. I don't know about you but I NEVER find it comfortable to use the Q menu with my eye to the EVF because it blocks out my view of the world and I end up losing my composition. It also requires a lot more keypresses on multiple buttons (Q->d-pad->command dial->shutter) which usually means my "hold" on the camera is compromised and I need to re-adjust after. If pushing the trash button could avoid an entire trip through the Q menu I think many of us could find times when it was more than worth it. 

Don't want to pile onto Dis for disagreeing with us though, since clearly he's willing to let us have what we want if Fuji will give it to us! It's certainly not unreasonable to think this isn't the end of the world, it's just something that would make a big difference for a lot of us without (presumably, I'm a software developer) taking a whole lot of effort from Fuji. 

I don't know about you but I NEVER find it comfortable to use the Q menu with my eye to the EVF because it blocks out my view of the world and I end up losing my composition.

I got used to use EVF to set as much settings as possible on the weddings. When a photographer finds out he has to change smth in his camera during a portrait shot and takes his camera down, he looses the attention of the objects immediately. (This usually doesn't apply to bride and groom but other guests and especially group portraits). I learned that in this situation it's better to hold your camera to the eye and talk to the subject as if you're catching a moment. This is definitely not the thing that applies to everyone but my personal nuance that explains why I use only right handed fn buttons.

I'd like the trash button to be effective while reviewing the last picture taken without the need to switch into play mode.

It's a bit annoying for me coming from Canon...

Interesting request. I'm not sure many people have the review set to a long enough time for that to be of value. It makes a lot more sense to have a long review time on a DSLR where you need to chimp to review (and often don't review at all).

Since many people review their pics in the EVF on Fuji it makes more sense to have a very short review period so you can always know what you got, but also start shooting almost right away. If people are using the short review period there would never be time to decisively delete photos before the preview was gone.

In theory I'd support this as an option if Fuji added it though, wouldn't hurt me as long as I could also choose to make it a function button. If it was one or the other I'd definitely fight to have the function button rather than delete-during-review. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else really annoyed that the trash icon button can't be assigned a "function button" for use in shooting mode? It makes no sense to me, as it never does anything unless you are in playback. There surely isn't a technical reason why it can't be re-assigned the way the video and d-pad buttons can. I can't think of a good ergonomic reason either, it's not a button I'm hitting by accident (on the X-T10 anyway). 

Making it customizeable would be super useful and increase the value of the cameras with no downside. Fuji if you're listening please just make it work like it should!

(I'd love to put Shutter type or Face Detection on/off there, next to the drive mode dial since they often need to be changed together to get CH+AF-C working together).

I could see this being an option that some people would take advantage of and there really isn't a downside but it wouldn't interest me much.    I just don't really need another function button.