FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO - am I the only one excited about this?!

No, sorry, not that excited. Maybe it's nice to work with, but the fact that it's only for some camera's and the fact that you have to keep the camera connected might be a minor for me. I take photo's when I travel and when they're on the computer I would like to work on them and now I have to take the computer and the camera to do so, instead of only the computer. 

Most of the time I'm happy with the Fuji OOC jpeg's, sometimes they need a bit of correction in Apple Photo's. When using RAW I'm fine with Affinity. So for now I'm not that excited . . . .

Being able to process RAW images at lightning speed using the hardware in e.g. an x-pro2 is pretty awesome. Way faster than any computer software on most consumer computers. And no more discontent with the look of the jpegs produced by the many different RAW converters on the market. This way you can process them the Fujifilm way, like in camera, but on a big screen. And you can still do it on the cameras 3" screen if no computer is around.

I guess you're kind of screwed if you need to reprocess and you no longer have access to that camera? Yeah the camera ASIC is fast to render/demosaic, but what else about your camera is actually faster than a fast SSD on your computer? Is that "lightning-fast" Fuji phone app that impressive? Think about it schlepping hundreds of full resolution files photos both ways. UHS-1 SD cards and USB-2 ports don't really have much of a place in a professional workflow....   I'm not saying I can't be done well, but given the sad history of camera makers making software, I wouldn't delete your copy of Iridient Developer just yet. 

Edited by Max_Elmar

I shoot RAW+jpeg and save everything (within reason). I rarely need my saved jpegs. I, fortunately, haven't ever needed a cloud backup jpeg. With the Raw Studio, I will now delete ALL my cloud backup jpegs. Really no reason for them at all with a relatively easy technique for accurate (ie, genuine Fuji in-camera processor) regeneration of jpegs from cloud RAWs.

If the program is able to use the camera engine to process the files into 16-bit TIFF files, I will be ecstatic!

Fuji does seem to know best how to process their own files for optimum results. The only issue so far is that if you want to do significant post processing, you will want access to 16bit data.

If Fuji supports this, it will be a huge step forward. Imagine getting the benefits of Fuji's understanding of images (very deep from decades producing lenses, cameras and film even before there was digital), combined with the well-developed film simulations while still maintaining the full bit-depth captured by the camera.

Apparently it will be some sort of preview. Given the usb2 connection of the camera I’m eager to see the quality of that preview. If it doesn’t fully represent the final product the software is kind of useless. A 5 sec. transfer is fine by me if that is all per picture, and once you are done with the edit, metadata is sent to the camera for processing into jpeg. I don’t think tiff will be an option.

• 2 weeks later...