XF18-55 and XF55-200 Image stabilization

tjompen1968

Hi everyone.

I have both the XF18-55 and the XF55-200 with my X-T20 and shooting with the latter I find the OIS to give me the ability to hand hold shots all the way down to 1/10 of a second when @200mm! One time 1/6 of a second with sharp result. Incredible image stab! I come from Pentax so this I find to be a stop better than my Pentax K-1.

On the other hand the XF18-55 is not that good at all. At 55mm I need to stay on 1/20 or 1/30 or it will be soft.

If shooting with it on a X-T10 instead of the X-T20 should theoretically give slower shutter speeds due to larger pixels so you with the 24 MP sensor, are my findings the same as yours or should I send the XF18-55 in for repair?

Thanks!

It is sharp as soon as I go to arround 1/20 or 1/30 hand held @55mm. On tripod, IOS is OFF and I can shoot as long as needed for correct exposure.

I shoot fully open, i.e f/4.

The lens is optically ok so my question is if the IOS is broken or if it is as good as it gets.

I do not have any examples since I threw them away. But it is not out of focus, it is hand held shake.

Edited by tjompen1968

I have both the XF18-55 and the XF55-200 with my X-T20 and shooting with the latter I find the OIS to give me the ability to hand hold shots all the way down to 1/10 of a second when @200mm! One time 1/6 of a second with sharp result. Incredible image stab! I come from Pentax so this I find to be a stop better than my Pentax K-1.

On the other hand the XF18-55 is not that good at all. At 55mm I need to stay on 1/20 or 1/30 or it will be soft.

Just 2 days ago I run many tests for XC16-50 Ois II  vs XF18-55 .

I did the tests at 50 and 55 ( the longer end ) . My results are :

- no difference in IQ ( no one that I can see).

- with my XC16-50 Ois II I can shoot down to 1/8 sec and stil get sharp results.

- with XF18-55 I cannot go below 1/30sec

So obviously the XC18-55 Stabilization is lousy . IS effectiveness is higly overestimated by fuji.  Instead of 3 stops I get 1 stop advantage, at best.

I can see there is some stabilization , though, because when IS is disengaged, I cannot even reach 1/30 sec.

Instead, XC16-50 Ois II works as expected.

It is sharp as soon as I go to arround 1/20 or 1/30 hand held @55mm. On tripod, IOS is OFF and I can shoot as long as needed for correct exposure.

I shoot fully open, i.e f/4.

The lens is optically ok so my question is if the IOS is broken or if it is as good as it gets.

I do not have any examples since I threw them away. But it is not out of focus, it is hand held shake.

The 1/20 is the best I can get out of my 18-55 so I think this is the limit of this lens.

I very surprised by your 55-200mm! I got a Canon 70-200mm f4 and the stabilisation is good but nothing in between to your glass. The best was a 1/50.

Greetings

Sebastian

Gesendet von meinem BLN-L21 mit Tapatalk

So I did some testing again and found that I could actually handhold the XF18-55@55 f/4 ISO200 at 1/2 seconds! But only every 5 or 6 shots but what the heck, that is pretty darn good. Here is my 1991 divers watch showing us movement...

p.s I had a few beers tonight, this may have had an impact... d.s

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by tjompen1968