Loose Hotshoe?

Hi Dwight, I have a limited version of this problem with my X-Pro2: when I use my Fuji EF-X500 flash in the hot shoe it often loses TTL connection and reverts to Manual (and sometimes loses connection altogether). Fuji have checked the flash and confirmed that it is ok, and it works fine on my X-T2 and on several other Fuji cameras belonging to friends. So it does look like a problem with the X-Pro2 hot shoe. The strange thing is, my other Fuji flashes (EF-X20 and the little EF-X8) are absolutely fine with TTL on the X-Pro2, as is my Godox TT350 and my Canon off-camera flash cords. (So, if I want to use the EF-X500 in TTL mode with the X-Pro2, I have to use a Canon flash cord.) I guess I should have the X-Pro2 checked by Fuji, but since the problem is confined to the X500 and since I mostly use my flashes off-camera in Manual mode with Yongnuo triggers, it seems hardly worth the hassle and expense. I will however be very interested to see other responses to your post - it would be good to get this sorted out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I sent my Pro 2 to Fuji and they confirmed the hot shoe was bad, but however, out of warranty. The cost total was $212 for the repair and it should be back to me by 9-27-17. I chose the right time to send it in as it take about 10 days and I didn't have a wedding this week. So long as it's repaired permanently, I'm ok with things. I don't think a hot shoe should be coming loose nor do I think it smart to put the screws INSIDE the camera where we can't tighten them ourselves!!!

Interesting information, Dwight, and I'm glad you're getting it fixed, but I'm sorry you're having to pay $212 for the repair: seriously, how complicated can it be to replace a hot shoe? Also, I'm wondering if this is a more general problem with X-Pro2s. I think that even though there's something slightly off with the hot shoe on mine, I'm going to hold off from sending it in, given that everything works perfectly on it except the Fuji X500 (!). 

• 5 months later...

The hot shoe on my Xt-2 is coming off.  It fell off on my xt-1.  More specifically the rails that hold the flash onto the camera seems to be the problem.  They seem to be a bit flimsy. This would cause the flash to lift up on one side and lose contact.  I noticed a wobbling of the flash when I would bring the camera to my face and then down to my side and then back up again for the next shot.  The action would cause the flash to short and change modes all by itself (form manual to multi or ttl).  One time, the short cause the camera to turn off.  Now, it's back to service for a $325 repair (they just replace the top plate).

This is the second time the hot shoe mount on an XT camera has come off and I am wondering if the XT cameras (and now the H1 camera) are robust enough for a year's worth of event photography.  Maybe I shouldn't put such big flashed on my camera, like the SB800 or the new Godox lithium flash?  They seem to torque the hell out of the hot shoe mount.  I never had a problem with the rails of the hot shoe mount coming off, in my years of working with Nikon cameras.