The "Which 23mm Conundrum"

Therapeuo63

I'm on the fence but wouldn't be surprised if this becomes my primary focal length for environmental portraits.  I keep finding myself using the 18-55 and it ends up on the 23mm setting a lot but I want a prime.

I've read the reviews and watched a number of YouTube videos.  I guess I don't HAVE to have the f1.4 extra stop.  The performance of the f2 is obviously superior so my question is really on that nebulous and subjective term:  RENDERING.  Does the f1.4 offer that magical rendering over the f2 that is hard to quantify?

My first lens was the 18-55 (meh) and then the 35 f2...really like it but not necessarily blown away.  Then I got the 14mm...WOW.  And now the 56..also WOW.

Does anyone have thoughts who have used both?

Edited by Therapeuo63

I've not used the f/2 but the "performance" of the f/1.4 is fine. I can track my kids and they move pretty fast and erraticly!

It's nothing like the 35mm f/1.4 which is slow and clunky.

I find the rendering fine, not as good as the 35mm and 16mm f/1.4, but still fine.

If you have size, weight or money contestants is too for the f/2, if not get f/1.4.. I got the 1.4 to have that extra subject separation. Coming from full frame I was worried about more enforced depth of field with a smaller sensor. I was glad I went for a full suite of 1.4 glass for this reason alone.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk