Downloading Photographs to iPad

KateB

You are further than I because I cannot get the app on iPhone (I have no iPad) to communicate with camera or set up wifi! I am back at my dealer Monday to collect the 90mm F2, I will get them to explain what the heck I am doing wrong with regard to wifi connecting.

Edited by Him

Try Cascable. They just added Fuji JPEG support and it worked well for me an hour after the eclipse to post my best pic to the web. Fuji RAW might be a challenge but for JPEG it’s head and shoulders over anything Fuji has done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Try Cascable. They just added Fuji JPEG support and it worked well for me an hour after the eclipse to post my best pic to the web. Fuji RAW might be a challenge but for JPEG it’s head and shoulders over anything Fuji has done.

Thanks I will take a look - doesn't work. I can get the XT-T to recognise my Hotspot on iPhone. But Cascable just keeps searching .... and never connecting to the same Wifi network. I must be setting something wrong on the X-T2 but I don't know what!

Connection Settings> Wireless Settings> Access POint Settings> Manual Setup> Select from Network List> 

Then I select the Network add the password and it eventually says I am connected.

However the app Cascable even 'pro' version does never find the camera, even though it connects via same network.

Edited by Him

You are further than I because I cannot get the app on iPhone (I have no iPad) to communicate with camera or set up wifi! I am back at my dealer Monday to collect the 90mm F2, I will get them to explain what the heck I am doing wrong with regard to wifi connecting.

It's tricky at first; but once you learnt how to do it, it's simple.

You have to select 'Wireless Communication' on your camera, then find the camera on the phone wifi.

On the iPhone you'll have all options, I don't get the geotagging option on my iPad even though it's a 3G iPad and has GPS built in.

I would really love to see GPS built into Fuji cameras.

Not sure if this makes sense, since I have an Android phone ... but I find that the Fujifilm app connects quicker (and more reliably) to my phone when I disable mobile data. Don't ask why, but it seems to work (I read the tip on a forum as well).

Edit: I read that the X-E3 is supposed to have Bluetooth support ... that is a helpful development, in my opinion!

Edited by johant

Not sure if this makes sense, since I have an Android phone ... but I find that the Fujifilm app connects quicker (and more reliably) to my phone when I disable mobile data. Don't ask why, but it seems to work (I read the tip on a forum as well).

Edit: I read that the X-E3 is supposed to have Bluetooth support ... that is a helpful development, in my opinion!

Bluetooth yes very reliable. Data Off I will try that thank you.

Data off doesn't work.

Edited by Him

Did you try resetting the WiFi connection on the camera? I found when switching apps to connect to the camera I had to start from scratch (at least on my X-T2).

Several times. I give up now. Tomorrow I visit the camera store and I will present my iPhone and X-T2 and ask them politely to show me proof that the two things talk to each other. I cannot even get the camera recognised by my Mac with a damn USB cable. I suppose I should be grateful the SD card is removeable, and its no big deal to continue to use a non-wifi, non-cable way.

Sure Kate, I hate fiddly procedures, so probably if it is like that, I will just say to myself it ain't got Wifi and use the SD card shuffle. It should work with a cable though first time and every time, so I want that demonstrated to me this morning.

Well now Kate..... cable and WiFi yes both, nothing wrong.

Cable is easy on a Windows machine, cable up switch camera camera on - icon for SD-Card shows on Desktop. Worked like that for donkeys ages. In their wisdom, I suppose either Apple or Fujifilm insist on Photos application being opened on the Mac!!!!!!

Do that first then cable up and switch darling camera on and low and behold images (jpg only I believe) are quickly transported to the Photos app. No icon for SD-Card drive appears on the Mac! I don't use Photos hardly ever. So no wonder I failed at first!

Now with Wifi similarly works different to what I have used ever before. You need Wifi enabled on the iPhone not connected to a network. However the real trick then was to on the camera go to PLAY mode. Then you press the Menu button. In the menu select the play icon,, Wireless Communicarion setting, then you press OK once, set the Fujifilm network on the phoneand the Fujifilm oand in my case Cascable Pro app on the phone opens up.

One always can use a card reader!

In their wisdom, I suppose either Apple or Fujifilm insist on Photos application being opened on the Mac!!!!!!

Do that first then cable up and switch darling camera on and low and behold images (jpg only I believe) are quickly transported to the Photos app. No icon for SD-Card drive appears on the Mac!

Great work Stephen, you obviously have a very helpful camera shop.

Okay, so the bad news; this does not work on an iPad, and iPads won't connect to card readers; however can use wireless download to that; it's just rather slow.

The good news is that I tried this on my friend's MacBook Pro and with Photos open, all the images came streaming in and I was able to download them all within minutes. This is good news!

Funny that they decided you M U S T have that application open! I wonder whose decision Fuji by choice or Apple by demand? Anyway it does download the JPG files quickly enough.

You can buy a card reader for the iPhone from Apple. I have one use it a lot when I had an IPad.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Card-Camera-Reader/dp/B0198HIF7K?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0198HIF7K

It is faster than Wifi too.

Ahh, thanks Stephen,

I had forgotten that iPads and iPhones will read photos from cards. I have a Lightning to USB lead and also a USB card reader. I can just marry the two together and that should work fine.

With Windows, you just need a cable connect it to computer and camera, switch camera on and up pops the camera drive icon - I thought this was a standard across the world, until I tried to do the same with my Mac and X-T2!

I  really don't like having to be tied to a application (Photos) in this case, that I don't even use or very rarely indeed. Anyway except for rare ocurrences, I will never use that solution. 

I always take RAW images and I will continue with the SD-Cards shuffle.

I only use the Apple Photos app to download and view. Like you, I don't want to be tied to it, just in case I move away from Apple. I store all my photos on my hard drive which is backed up regularly.

Once I get my card reader set up, I'll be happy!

Great, Yes that is the best way. I use Lightroom, before Aperture. However procedures has not changed. I have a couple of large external drives. One has Image bank number 1, the other as 2, backup for images and the Lightroom catalogs.

I go out take photos. When I get back they are all copied to the hard drives 1 & 2.

On those drives also is a bootable system, so that come disaster I have my images on 2 seperate bootable drives. 

Within both drives is a folder, with many folders beneath that, such as Automotive-Events, under that in date order are seperate events each to a folder. I have done it like this for years.

This is another case of RTFM or deja vue which ever way you care to look at it. On the Mac, I can never remember using Image Capture app (part of the OS I believe). So I 'forget' it is there.

Re-reading the manual, about Fuji and Mac and cables, it mentions this hetherto unused app......

As you see from the screenshot, this is indeed how it works! It is fast and copies both RAW and JPG.

What's more X-T2 is recognised straight away. The transfer being extremely quick.

I am impressed.

Yes I agree my Macbook 12" when added to a camera case is too much hassle weight wise. I do have a Western Digital My Passport Wireless Pro as a backup device when travelling.

Yes  I use it on trips, each day I use a SD-Card, at end of day I backup to the WD by inserting the SD-Card and pressing a button. At the end of the trip I know for certain which day and therefore where things were taken. It then is a case of using a cable to upload to my Mac's external photo HD or wifi to same. Very useful, especially with its own battery.