X-T20 Brand New: Locks Up, Can't Take Pictures

glum32

I'm just getting into photography, bought my first mirrorless today. Snagged an X-T20 kit with the 18-55mm from a local shop, and I was super stoked. The store is very reputable.

I was using the camera for a few hours tonight and it was fine, but then randomly after changing it to High Performance mode, I was using the touch screen to focus, and the camera locked up with the green focus light blinking with the LCD still working. Even flipping the on-off didn't shut down the camera, and I had to remove the battery in order to turn it off. Now the camera does this every time I even try to focus, whether it be pressing the shutter release or touching the screen. Sometimes the screen completely locks as well and other times the screen + sensor is still active but locked.

Nothing seems to resolve the issue: I have reformatted the SD card, reset all the settings I think I am able to, and nothing seems to change. I'm quite frustrated. I had updated all of the firmware (body + lens) before ever using the camera.

Any ideas on what the issue may be??? I feel like my best bet is to just bring it back to the store, but this was their last kit, so I'm pretty bummed.

Yeah... man this sucks. I think they might have another kit in the black color, which wasn't preferable for me. The store only gives store credit, so I'm kinda stuck. Had been wanting to support a local business. Holding out hope that they live up to their rep as far as customer service and crossing my fingers that the next kit from them has no issues.

A refund/replacement would obviously be ideal, but if that's not a viable option then get the store to send it to the local Fujifilm people for analysis and repair; once your camera has had the 'once over' from their Tech Gurus it should be up to standard.

Meanwhile, just as a general comment on dealing with camera retailers, I can imagine where a policy like this ...

In the UK, I believe if the camera is under 30 days old, they have to offer a refund. The Sale of Goods Act may be able to help you.

... could lead to a consequence like this ...

The problem with Fuji camera equipment is that Fuji does not seal their boxes so you don't know if what you buy was returned by someone else.

After all, if a retailer is forced by law to refund somebody who has decided that they simply "don't like it" after that somebody has played with it for two or three weeks, then what option does the retailer have but to vend it to someone else as a new camera? I'm not at all sure that this attempt at consumer protection in the UK is going to necessarily provide the protection that was expected.

Best of luck in getting this resolved, anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

That's not how it works - they only have to replace/refund if the product isn't working as it should, or is damaged. It's not an attempt at consumer protection - it's been the law at least since I bought my first item from a UK shop (I'm 53 and born and bred here). After the 30 days you revert to the manufacturer's warranty and/or the Sale of Goods Act, which covers you for up to 2 years and requires the retailer (not the manufacturer) to provide a remedy if the item is 'not fit for purpose' - for instance if your new TV breaks down after 18 months the manufacturer may not be interested, but on the basis that 'any reasonable person' would expect a £1000 or whatever TV set to last longer than 18 months, the retailer has to suck it up (although they twist harder than a shark on a fishing line to avoid doing so a lot of the time). I have, on a couple of occasions, prevailed successfully on one of our larger supermarket chains to replace kettles that conked out after 18 months or so using the SOGA.