Whole area in focus on X-T20?

Kai

Hi, guys!

Just bought the camera. Love it! Relatively new to digital photography - lots of things to learn. I need to shoot the sculpture I created. Time sensitive. Can't figure out how to make all in focus shot. Object is flat disk with 1m/3ft diameter. Tried different setting, but it didn't work out(((((. Please, advice!!! Greatly appreciate!!!

Kai

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

often times there is simply no way( when objects are close by and big) to have the entire object in focus.

This is why, long ago, photographers learned to use movements of the lens (and ideally also of the back) called tilt and shift , to move the focal plane is a position other than parallel to to film or sensor plane.

In order to achieve this you need to learn how to use that or otherwise you could back up a bit and then crop a section of the image. Sometimes this is needed even if you master the Scheimpflug principle 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheimpflug_principle

This Image is shot at f8 with a tilt adapter. No cropping.

post-106-0-33972700-1480406941.jpg

Try what you can with the tools you've got. First, provide plentiful light. Second, step back and zoom in as much as your lens allows to frame the object. Keep in mind the possibility to trim the picture if necessary. Set your aperture to a min (say, 11 or 16). Shoot. Crop. See if you're satisfied. If not, explore the prices for the tilt shift lenses and adaptors... or make a smaller sculpture... ;)

for those among us ( apparently quite a few) who have never used a tilt shift and don’t know about cameras with movable bodies and their application in product and still life photography perhaps this illustrates  better what I said above. 

I taught studio photography for many years and I see that not many still know about these things. In the second video see how, with open aperture, you get the WHOLE door in focus just by movements

Edited by milandro

Thanks everyone for quick reply!

I finally got it..

Basically, I switched to AF mode: zone, readjusted focus area to the biggest size from settings, then backed  my camera up as much as i could in order to fit the area in focus, made a shot and cropped the image in photoshop. F16, iso100, shutter speed was on auto and 1/8. Tripod. No post processing done yet. I can tell that the picture is not that sharp, but I am satisfied with the result. Probably if my light set up was little more powerful i could get better images. 

I am definitely switching to miniature sculptures)))

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks everyone for quick reply!

I finally got it..

Basically, I switched to AF mode: zone, readjusted focus area to the biggest size from settings, then backed my camera up as much as i could in order to fit the area in focus, made a shot and cropped the image in photoshop. F16, iso100, shutter speed was on auto and 1/8. Tripod. No post processing done yet. I can tell that the picture is not that sharp, but I am satisfied with the result. Probably if my light set up was little more powerful i could get better images.

I am definitely switching to miniature sculptures)))

By the way, I like the sculpture!