• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kai

Kai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:21 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Hi, guys!

Just bought the camera. Love it! Relatively new to digital photography - lots of things to learn. I need to shoot the sculpture I created. Time sensitive. Can't figure out how to make all in focus shot. Object is flat disk with 1m/3ft diameter. Tried different setting, but it didn't work out(((((. Please, advice!!! Greatly appreciate!!!

Kai

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   81.35KB   18 downloads

#2 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

often times there is simply no way( when objects are close by and big) to have the entire object in focus.

This is why, long ago, photographers learned to use movements of the lens (and ideally also of the back) called tilt and shift , to move the focal plane is a position other than parallel to to film or sensor plane.

In order to achieve this you need to learn how to use that or otherwise you could back up a bit and then crop a section of the image. Sometimes this is needed even if you master the Scheimpflug principle 

https://en.wikipedia...pflug_principle

This Image is shot at f8 with a tilt adapter. No cropping.

post-106-0-33972700-1480406941.jpg

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#3 Arthur

Arthur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

Try what you can with the tools you've got. First, provide plentiful light. Second, step back and zoom in as much as your lens allows to frame the object. Keep in mind the possibility to trim the picture if necessary. Set your aperture to a min (say, 11 or 16). Shoot. Crop. See if you're satisfied. If not, explore the prices for the tilt shift lenses and adaptors... or make a smaller sculpture... ;)

#4 Tom G Scotland

Tom G Scotland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

I would set camera on tripod and move the focus point to the bottom of image and then move the focus point up a little each frame

i.e..focus stacking  that  gives good results

no harm in trying

Tom G   Scotland

#5 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

for those among us ( apparently quite a few) who have never used a tilt shift and don’t know about cameras with movable bodies and their application in product and still life photography perhaps this illustrates  better what I said above. 

I taught studio photography for many years and I see that not many still know about these things. In the second video see how, with open aperture, you get the WHOLE door in focus just by movements

Edited by milandro, 30 August 2017 - 03:55 PM.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#6 Kai

Kai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:31 AM

Thanks everyone for quick reply!

I finally got it..

Basically, I switched to AF mode: zone, readjusted focus area to the biggest size from settings, then backed  my camera up as much as i could in order to fit the area in focus, made a shot and cropped the image in photoshop. F16, iso100, shutter speed was on auto and 1/8. Tripod. No post processing done yet. I can tell that the picture is not that sharp, but I am satisfied with the result. Probably if my light set up was little more powerful i could get better images. 

I am definitely switching to miniature sculptures)))

Attached Files

• Attached File  3.jpg   85.72KB   16 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   92.33KB   15 downloads

#7 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:28 AM

Thanks everyone for quick reply!
I finally got it..
Basically, I switched to AF mode: zone, readjusted focus area to the biggest size from settings, then backed my camera up as much as i could in order to fit the area in focus, made a shot and cropped the image in photoshop. F16, iso100, shutter speed was on auto and 1/8. Tripod. No post processing done yet. I can tell that the picture is not that sharp, but I am satisfied with the result. Probably if my light set up was little more powerful i could get better images.

I am definitely switching to miniature sculptures)))

By the way, I like the sculpture!
  • Kai likes this

#8 Kai

Kai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:24 PM

Thank you! 

#9 CDBC

CDBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:03 AM

I've always wanted to experiment with a tilt & shift lens, using an X-T2.  There are adapters?  Recommendations appreciated.

Oh yeah, interesting sculpture.  :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: focus