X-T20 skin tone issue

vttai84

hi everyone, 

This pic i shot with x-t20 and 56 1.2 , everything is allright, except skin when i zoom it (this is raf file), is this 'worm effect' or 'wax skin effect', anyone facing this problem and are there any solution to fix it ?

Thank you so much !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Given the structure of the X-Trans CFA I can imagine that you're looking at demosaicing artifacts in the squarish pattern that you're seeing. X-Trans is more prone to artifacts in the demosacing process than a Bayer array, but you must understand that all demosaicing of CFAs produces artifacts -- no option exists not to do that and at 527.3% magnification no option exists not to see them. Just remember that at 527.3% magnification you may also be seeing artifacts created by the software enlarging your image to that size and/or an interaction between those artifacts and the demosaicing artifacts that you can no longer really see because of that interaction.  :)

Look at the photo on screen at 100% magnification. Does it look OK?

• 2 weeks later...

I was facing the same problem. The worms doesn't bother me that much because they were only visible in a huge magnification. But the skin color was awful. I bought a Colorchecker and did some test shots of different light-situations. Since then you can choose the profile which matches the situation of your photo in Lightroom.

After some months with the X-T20, I work mostly with one profile (matches the most situations).

Gesendet von meinem BLN-L21 mit Tapatalk

attachicon.gifmag_artifact.jpg

Given the structure of the X-Trans CFA I can imagine that you're looking at demosaicing artifacts in the squarish pattern that you're seeing. X-Trans is more prone to artifacts in the demosacing process than a Bayer array, but you must understand that all demosaicing of CFAs produces artifacts -- no option exists not to do that and at 527.3% magnification no option exists not to see them. Just remember that at 527.3% magnification you may also be seeing artifacts created by the software enlarging your image to that size and/or an interaction between those artifacts and the demosaicing artifacts that you can no longer really see because of that interaction. :)

Look at the photo on screen at 100% magnification. Does it look OK?

yah it look ok at 100% :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was facing the same problem. The worms doesn't bother me that much because they were only visible in a huge magnification. But the skin color was awful. I bought a Colorchecker and did some test shots of different light-situations. Since then you can choose the profile which matches the situation of your photo in Lightroom.

After some months with the X-T20, I work mostly with one profile (matches the most situations).

Gesendet von meinem BLN-L21 mit Tapatalk

wow , great ! which profile in lightroom you used mostly ? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Switching from a bayer to an x-trans sensor got me in this situation too. I tought there was something wrong , especially with my high iso images. I found that sharpening without using the 'detail' slider too much is the key. I rarely go up 10 on it. And I still get sharpen the image pretty good. When you open a raf files in lightroom or camera raw the slider is by default at 25 so it's more noticeable. And, most important, I got myself to stopped doing extreme ''pixel peeping'' :D Now I'm pretty happy with my pictures!