Halo Effect X-T2

pete1959

Note the halo effect around the officer's face that creates a terrible "cardboard cutout effect".

What is this, and what is it caused by?

XT2, 56 f1.2, 1/320 @ 1.2 , ISO 2500, RAF as shown in Lightroom.

No amount of "zeroing out" or sharpening, noise reduction, clarity, etc. has had any effect.

Nor does changing the camera profile help me in any way.

I would note that the lighting is modern office fluorescent.

Causes and or solutions anyone?

I ask politely please, stay on topic in your  replies.

:)

I know there are other converters out there, but I'm staying with LR.

I know there are other cameras/sensors out there, but I'm heavily invested in this XT2 system.

Curious as to why I'm seeing this and suggested solutions for Lightroom workflow or Photoshop workflow.

Peter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Pete,

I don't think that  it is a halo effect at all.   I think that it is the out of focus edge of the next officer's neck, and you can see where the slightly darker area behind his ear

has made the 'halo' wider.  You probably wouldn't have seen it if a smaller aperture had been used.

Roger

Hi Pete,

I don't think that  it is a halo effect at all.   I think that it is the out of focus edge of the next officer's neck, and you can see where the slightly darker area behind his ear

has made the 'halo' wider.  You probably wouldn't have seen it if a smaller aperture had been used.

Roger

Yes, the halo...

Out of focus edges should not render dark.

It's not a slightly naturally occurring darker edge or shadow. It's an artifact.

As far as shooting at a smaller aperture, the point of a 56 1.12 is to shoot at 1.2.

Shallow DOF is the point of the lens.

But I appreciate your input in the kindest way.

Thank you.

I now wonder if a lens element is out of alignment.

Note the almost double ghost exposure of the mans nose and/or edge artifacts in attached url. 

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/gallery/album/560-56-12-issues/

Very strange bokeh as well.

Many of the images from this shoot but only this lens make subjects look like cardboard cutouts.

I'm going to check my archives to see if this lens ever did it before.

I'm shipping the lens to Fuji tomorrow and paying the $$$ to have it checked.

This is one of my working go to lenses that I can't go without.

My last shoot has too many ruined images.

-Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Sigh....update...dealing with poor Fuji repair service (I love you Fuji but this is TYPICAL of your repair facility).

Shipped lens on 08/29/17.

Lens arrives in 2 days on 08/31/17.

Wait a couple of weeks and called Fuji on phone on 09/12/17 because I hadn't heard anything.

I was told they had emailed me for repair approval.

Not true.

I had not received any email (this has happened to me before with them...claims of emails that never went out).

So I went ahead and authorized the repair and supplied credit card number ($266.00) although there wasn't any diagnosis....just my original comments and a price to fix.

It's clear they were not going to crack open the lens without $$$....and hadn't even started the work.

Today (09/19/17) I received a letter in the mail stating they were waiting for repair authorization and credit card number!

My phone call was a total waste of time.

Sigh!

So I filled it out and sent it back by mail.

As far as I can tell the lens has been sitting there for 20 days waiting to hear from me...

Lessons learned:

Don't expect an email asking for authorization...it ain't gonna happen (this is my 3rd Fuji repair where they claimed an email was sent that wasn't)

Call them directly to give authorization once the unit arrives.

If it's a lens they won't touch it and won't diagnosis it without a credit card number (that makes sense....)

Then watch your credit card to see the charge is actually made to confirm repair is in progress.

I love Fuji but their repair facility is not very responsive or efficient.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OMG, I cant believe all this thread. The "halo" you see is not a halo, is the coincidence of the line of the neck of the back soldier with the line of the chin of the front soldier...

gosh

Good spot. Yes that would be true if the artifact didn't show up all over the place on this shoot....I can see where you would see the coincidence of the two profiles aligning etc....but the entire shoot has lots of weird halos in it....to the point where people looked like cardboard cutouts placed in the picture with an edge artifact...even in natural light.  But thank you for your input...I can see where that would jump out as a reason....but in this case it was a coincidence that the artifact showed in that image right where the shoulder overlaps, but it showed up all over the place. Either way I have a pristine new razor sharp 56 1.2 for $266.00 .  -P

• 2 weeks later...

That dark area is the cabinet the officers are standing in front of for the picture.  Just a weird coincidence it seems to me.  But nice to hear you got a new lens out of it!!  I spoke with the Fuji repair people just today and what a refreshing change from the way I'm treated through NPS!

• 1 month later...

Yes, the halo...

Out of focus edges should not render dark.

It's not a slightly naturally occurring darker edge or shadow. It's an artifact.

As far as shooting at a smaller aperture, the point of a 56 1.12 is to shoot at 1.2.

Shallow DOF is the point of the lens.

But I appreciate your input in the kindest way.

Thank you.

The "point" about having a 1.2 lens is for Fuji to sell it at the price it's at.  Whereas, the 50mm F2, and the 60mm 2.4 are sharper, and better wide open.  And I'm speaking from experience as I owned the 56 1.2 and was scheduled to shoot four small events back to back.  The 56 was a PITA to lock focus, in an extremely well lit area, either wide open or stopped down;  Once I switched lenses to yes, the lovely 18-55, and the 35 1.4, my problems were solved.  The following three events were as smooth as silk.  That next Monday morning the 56 1.2 went back to Amazon.  I've never looked back, and I never will even CONSIDER that lens again.