Shooting in RAW

KateB

You can shoot RAW, JPEG, or RAW+JPEG. I do the latter so I get the shot in RAW but also apply a film simulation which more often than not I actually use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, that's excellent.

I am so glad, because I like travel photography and I would want to post a few shots on social media whilst I'm away and then edit the RAW images in Lightroom upon my return.

Many thanks.

No, what JohanT is saying is that if you ONLY shoot raw the preview that you visualize (both in camera or on your computer) will be limited only to the embedded low resolution contained within the RAW file.

This embedded low resolution jpeg is contained within the raw file for visualization purposes only but it confuses many because, being a very low resolution image, shows as being rather not sharp.

You can’t, in fact, see RAW files, that’s why you need a jpeg to “ see “ them and that’s what yyou will see (low res image) if you only shoot raw.

From what you are saying it is apparent that you have only previously shot either only jpegs or only raws but never both together.

This thing is not Fuji specific and you can see it on any camera, so whichever camera you have, if it shoots raw files you can see what JohanT meant.

Edited by milandro

Hi Kate.

You just have to set the camera to store RAW+JPEG. What Johant says is that If you set the camera to RAW only, the camera stores a little jpeg inside the RAW file just to preview the image in your camera with the color preset you selected (velvia, prove, chrome, etc...), but this jpeg is useless (and difficult to extract alone) for any other purposes, and when you import the images in Lightroom or any other app, you will only see the RAW file without any color preset applied. If you want the jpg file with the color preset too, you have to select RAW+JPEG.

No, what JohanT is saying is that if you ONLY shoot raw the preview that you visualize (both in camera or on your computer) will be limited only to the embedded low resolution contained within the RAW file.

This embedded low resolution jpeg is contained within the raw file for visualization purposes only but it confuses many because, being a very low resolution image, shows as being rather not sharp.

You can’t, in fact, see RAW files, that’s why you need a jpeg to “ see “ them and that’s what yyou will see (low res image) if you only shoot raw.

From what you are saying it is apparent that you have only previously shot either only jpegs or only raws but never both together.

This thing is not Fuji specific and you can see it on any camera, so whichever camera you have, if it shoots raw files you can see what JohanT meant.

Hmmm, I had not realised that. Oh well, you can't have it all. I guess a workaround for non-action shots would be to shoot one shot in RAW and the next in JPG. But how easy is it to switch between the two? Could I set up a function button to do it?

No, I've not shot in RAW before (unless you count 35mm film LOL), that's one of the attractions of buying X-T20. My current camera is a bridge and only shoots JPG.

Hi Kate.

You just have to set the camera to store RAW+JPEG. What Johant says is that If you set the camera to RAW only, the camera stores a little jpeg inside the RAW file just to preview the image in your camera with the color preset you selected (velvia, prove, chrome, etc...), but this jpeg is useless (and difficult to extract alone) for any other purposes, and when you import the images in Lightroom or any other app, you will only see the RAW file without any color preset applied. If you want the jpg file with the color preset too, you have to select RAW+JPEG.

Hang on, I'm confused now; perhaps I'm being a bit dim today. Are you saying that on the RAW+JPG setting it will shoot a RAW and a full sized JPEG image at the same time?

bingo...

if you shoot Raw+ jpeg you of course have also the option to choose how good a jpeg you want.

If you are aiming at sending the images through your phone you may  want to go for the “ Normal” setting instead of “ Fine”. I have always shot Raw+Fine but of course the jpegs are heavier that way.

Edited by milandro

bingo...

if you shoot Raw+ jpeg you of course have also the option to choose how good a jpeg you want.

If you are aiming at sending the images through your phone you may want to go for the “ Normal” setting instead of “ Fine”. I have always shot Raw+Fine but of course the jpegs are heavier that way.

Excellent; I'm a happy bunny now!

What I normally do when I'm on holiday is download the shots to my tablet every day as a back up, just in case either is lost or malfunctions. I then edit some of the shots on my tablet and upload them to social media. I've now downloaded Adobe Lightroom onto my tablet; it's a cutdown version of course, but it does give me more controls than I'm used to.

Edited by KateB

Oops ... apologies for the terse explanation! And thanks to the other contributors to step in, explaining what I meant [emoji4]

Indeed, you can tell the camera to store both the RAW and JPEG file. For the JPEG, you can select the size and quality ("normal" or "fine").

One thing that seems to confuse some people; since the RAW file contains raw sensor data plus metadata, it depends on your RAW converter whether Fujifilm film simulation settings are applied. With the JPEG, they are "baked in", of course.

Another fun thing; the cameras have their own RAW converter on board (of course), which allows you to create different JPEGs from the same RAW file in the camera. You'll find out when fiddling with the "Play" menu.

Thanks Johant, no need to apologise. Yesterday I was tired after another long intensive week at work, so my brain was addled.

It's useful to note about how the in-camera 'filters' affect the RAW settings; I tend not to use such things and I believe I saw on a tutorial that you can turn off unwanted menu items, so I'd be looking to rationalise my menu and probably putting the most useful functions for me on a favourites page.

It's less than two weeks now before I pick up my camera and I'll be trying it out on my trip to Portugal. I can't wait!

It has been known recently that criminals saw images on line from some sun spot, and then went and burgled the place! So I personally would never put such on social media whilst still away.

KateB do you really think that the Fujifilm's X-Pro2 (?) manual is easy to follow?

I hate most manuals (full disclosure, I have my XPro 2's manual on every tablet I own[emoji10]) I've _never_ found one satisfactory. And I'm talking 50 years+ experience.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

KateB do you really think that the Fujifilm's X-Pro2 (?) manual is easy to follow?

I hate most manuals (full disclosure, I have my XPro 2's manual on every tablet I own[emoji10]) I've _never_ found one satisfactory. And I'm talking 50 years+ experience.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hmmm well, I don't have my camera yet; so I only looked up JPEG and RAW shooting options and that I found easily. So, I guess I was a bit premature in my statement.

It has been known recently that criminals saw images on line from some sun spot, and then went and burgled the place! So I personally would never put such on social media whilst still away.

Thanks for your good advice Him.

Luckily I live in Qatar where the crime rate is virtually nil.

Thanks for your good advice Him.

Luckily I live in Qatar where the crime rate is virtually nil.

I am in Switzerland, same virtually nil, but I still would never do it.

I am in Switzerland, same virtually nil, but I still would never do it.

Indeed, we are blessed. I love Switzerland.

We all have to weigh up our own individual risks. For me I have nothing worth stealing, crime (especially burglary) is virtually zero and I like to share my experiences with my friends.

Ok here are two taken in my favourite haunt Schweizerhof, Zurich. This was with the 50mm lens wide open at F2, 1/160 sec, ISO 200.

The Blanc de Blanc bottles are on top right-hand shelf the second picture is a severe crop..........