X-T20 Non OEM Accessories

KateB

I haven't even got my x-t20 yet and I'm buying accessories!

I bought the XF 18-55mm kit. I've already bought...

XF 27mm pancake lens

Dual USB charger and a 3m long USB 2.0 micro b cable

Thumb rest

Remote shutter release

I'm planning to get two extra Fuji branded batteries, a lightweight tripod, toploader camera bag and a hand grip too.

What non-OEM accessories have you bought for your X-T20; please post photo and link if you don't mind.

Edited by KateB

Straps (a sling and a wrist strap), two batteries, and some adapters for my old FD lenses. There's nothing special about those items -- the only advice I'd give is not to buy Kiwifotos brand lens adapters because the one I got didn't fit the camera.

If you're compulsive about keeping lens caps on your lenses, you might want to buy some replacement front lens caps for the 27mm pancake. The cap that comes with it doesn't fit tightly and will fall off with no provocation.

Straps (a sling and a wrist strap), two batteries, and some adapters for my old FD lenses. There's nothing special about those items -- the only advice I'd give is not to buy Kiwifotos brand lens adapters because the one I got didn't fit the camera.

If you're compulsive about keeping lens caps on your lenses, you might want to buy some replacement front lens caps for the 27mm pancake. The cap that comes with it doesn't fit tightly and will fall off with no provocation.

Hi Doug,

Yes, the list is endless. I've been researching hand and neck straps; the system I really like is quick release and interchangeable but unfortunately only available in America, unfortunately trans Atlantic postage is prohibitive. Do you have any preferred systems?

Thanks for the heads up. Did you buy a non-fuji lens cap for you pancake and if so what brand was it?

Hi Doug,

Did you buy a non-fuji lens cap for you pancake and if so what brand was it?

No, I haven't bothered. I managed to hang onto the lens cap for my 27mm for a few weeks before it ran off to join the circus. Now I just leave the lens uncapped.

Some people choose to stick a protective filter on the 27mm to replace the lens cap. Me, I'm fine with cleaning the front of the lens rather than cleaning a filter.

Tempered glass screen protector!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was going to ask about this.

I noticed that the screen doesn't swivel back on itself like my Canon.

So is screen scratching an issue on these cameras?

Some people choose to stick a protective filter on the 27mm to replace the lens cap. Me, I'm fine with cleaning the front of the lens rather than cleaning a filter.

Interesting, yes on larger lenses I would use a protective filter just in case I dropped the camera. I hasten to add that I have never dropped one! But on the 27mm lens, it's less likely that the glass would strike an object anyway so the risk is low. I like your logic.

On my XT-10, I use Hoyo Pro protection filters on the lens.

Battery wise The Fuji originals provide the most shots per use (but are a lot more expensive)

I've never scratched my screen yet and didn't bother with a protector

Apart from the filters and a few batteries the only non Fiji accessory I own are bags and nissin i40s flashes (and studio flash equipment)

I like the Fuji hand strap, makes it almost impossible to drop the camera

On my XT-10, I use Hoya Pro protection filters on the lens.

Ah, I was looking at these earlier. Are you using the slim 58mm; and if so does it have a male and female thread so that you can screw other filters directly into it. I find that easier than the juggling act of swapping filters.

Battery wise The Fuji originals provide the most shots per use (but are a lot more expensive)

I've never scratched my screen yet and didn't bother with a protector

I shall buy a couple of extra Fuji batteries from Wex. They are in my hometown and cheapest I've seen. I won't risk buying others as I've been fooled once before.

Apart from the filters and a few batteries the only non Fiji accessory I own are bags and nissin i40s flashes (and studio flash equipment). I like the Fuji hand strap, makes it almost impossible to drop the camera

How do you find the Nissin flash, is it good? Also, am I correct in my understanding that the hot shoe is smaller than standard? I have a Speedlite for Canon, so I was assuming that it would not fit.

Ah, I was looking at these earlier. Are you using the slim 58mm; and if so does it have a male and female thread so that you can screw other filters directly into it. I find that easier than the juggling act of swapping filters.

I shall buy a couple of extra Fuji batteries from Wex. They are in my hometown and cheapest I've seen. I won't risk buying others as I've been fooled once before.

How do you find the Nissin flash, is it good? Also, am I correct in my understanding that the hot shoe is smaller than standard? I have a Speedlite for Canon, so I was assuming that it would not fit.

I'm using the Pro -1 52mm on XF-35 F/1.4 lens, the copy i have I could stack filters, although I have not

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-Digital-Protector-Screw-Filter/dp/B0009K50TC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502624735&sr=8-3&keywords=hoya+52mm+pro

The Nissin i40 is really good, compact (although it still adds a lot of weight to the camera) My copies have not had their firmware updated as I use High Speed Sync on the XT-10 and XE-2s with these flashes.

The High speed sync function does not work on the X-Pro2 without a firmware update, however as I have no information regarding if it breaks HSS on the XT-10 I have not sent them to be upgraded (if that is available yet) As the Fuji Flashes do not support HSS on the X-T10. (I don't know where the XT-20 sits as far as HSS compatibility is)

The Hot shoe is a standard size, although it is wired differently, your canon speedlite will work fine in manual mode i expect. I have some 30+ year old flashes that work fine in manual mode

I'm using the Pro -1 52mm on XF-35 F/1.4 lens, the copy i have I could stack filters, although I have not

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-Digital-Protector-Screw-Filter/dp/B0009K50TC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502624735&sr=8-3&keywords=hoya+52mm+pro

Thanks for the link. I seldom use Amazon, but I see that there are a lot of secondhand filters on there. I don't think I'll be buying new ones!

The Nissin i40 is really good, compact (although it still adds a lot of weight to the camera) My copies have not had their firmware updated as I use High Speed Sync on the XT-10 and XE-2s with these flashes.

The High speed sync function does not work on the X-Pro2 without a firmware update, however as I have no information regarding if it breaks HSS on the XT-10 I have not sent them to be upgraded (if that is available yet) As the Fuji Flashes do not support HSS on the X-T10. (I don't know where the XT-20 sits as far as HSS compatibility is)

The Hot shoe is a standard size, although it is wired differently, your canon speedlite will work fine in manual mode i expect. I have some 30+ year old flashes that work fine in manual mode

Okay, I'm going to check this out. For me, the i40 looks the right scale for the camera and versatile too, so worth considering. Thanks for your help.

Hi Kate, I instead of a thumb rest I bought a MetroCase Fuji X-T20 grip which add more purchase for your fingers (as well as a ledge for your thumb). It is extremely lightweight, moves the tripod socket to the correct position (centered along lens axis where as the normal one is off axis) for better panorama panning and allow you access to the battery compartment (normally the tripod plate would block the battery/card door).

I bought it for $80USD, and was trying to sell it for $60 USD shipped... but now I'm trying to find a home for it a I switched to a X-T2 and the grip it is sitting forlorn on my closet shelf. If you are interested I will see it for $40 USD shipped (sorry if this seems too spammy)

Here are some photos.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Android Alpaca

Thanks Android, but I have already bought one of these. Also, I don't live in America so you might find yourself out of pocket posting it to me in Qatar.

May I suggest putting it on eBay. That's where I bought mine.