Problem with Mitakon 35mm 0,95

qwertz7

Hi all,

i recently bought the Mitakon 35mm f0.95 and was very excited about it.

But unfortunately in comparison with the fuji 35mm 1.4 i found that the Mitakon doesn't gather more light than the Fuji.

With the same settings (manual) both lenses wide open had about the same exposure. Both set at 1.4 the Mitakon was exposed about one stop darker.

I also found that sharpness, microcontrast and colors were better with the Fuji Lens.

So the only advantage for the Mitakon was the slightly better DoF.

Anyone alse has the Mitakon and can verify my experience?

Check out the reviews of the Mitakon 35 f0.95 on the BHPhoto product page:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1226781-REG/mitakon_zhongyi_mtk35m95m2fx_speedmaster_35mm_f_0_95_mark.html

Especially read 'Not really f/0.95' and then 'I stand corrected'.

I previously gave this lens a 2 star review due to its price and apparent lack of exposure benefit. While it's true that the lens appears maybe .2-.3 stops brighter than the Fuji 35mm f1.4 (on an X-T2), I have come to realize that's not because of any deficiencies on the part of this lens. It has come to my attention that Fuji (and apparently many manufacturers) artificially increase the sensor gain when shooting at large apertures--even in RAW. This is due to diminishing returns when using large aperture lenses in combination with digital sensors. Something to do with pixel pitch and the angle of light coming through the lens.

In any case, what this means is that the camera does not artificially increase the exposure of images captured by the Mitakon since the lens has no chip in it to tell the camera aperture information. This means that images from the Mitakon show approximately 1-stop less grain than images from large aperture Fuji lenses. If your skeptical it's easy to test: Shoot a test frame at f1.4 with a Fuji lens. Then slightly disengage the lens until the camera registers f0 because it can't communicate with the lens. And take the test image again. You'll see an image ~1-stop darker.

@Mervyn: that's very interesting, i'll check that.

@drandyperry: the lens is already optically worse than the fuji and has has only manual focus. That sould be enough to make the prize difference. I expect a lens that is sold as 0,95 to perform at least close to that.

@Mervyn: that's very interesting, i'll check that.

@drandyperry: the lens is already optically worse than the fuji and has has only manual focus. That sould be enough to make the prize difference. I expect a lens that is sold as 0,95 to perform at least close to that.

F stops are not the same as t stops. Look at the fuji 56mm apd, that has both f and the stops marked on the barrel.

You shouldn't expect any lens to get the same t and f stops. Very few achieve this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk