Sign in to follow this  
HendrikOsula

Sports photography and Godox HSS

Hi fellow Fuji shooters!

I have been covering FIBA Basketball U18 European Championship Division B in Tallinn for FIBA Europe and as on Tuesday I received my new Godox AD200 flashes and Godox X1T-F transmitter, I have been trying them out on court! I have to say that at first it took some time to get used to new system as I haven't used flashes too much with Fuji before, but when I got the grip of it, it works well. HSS doesn't lose too much power with AD200 strobes, which is surprising and that way it works great for sports! The only issue I have found is that about every 6-7 shot I take the flash syncs too early or too late so I miss the shot. I don't know if there is something with my shutter speed (1/1000 - 1/2000s) or the venues. I hope to get more experience with the new system in different setups in upcoming weeks and hope to keep you also up to date with my findings! At least after to days of using the system I'm more than satisfied!

Some shots taken with both X-T2 and X-T1:

FIBA U18 European Championship Division B 2017 @Tallinn, Estonia by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

FIBA U18 European Championship Division B 2017 @Tallinn, Estonia by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

All shots are edited JPEGs from cameras.

Some new shots:

Great shots! 

Can you give us some idea as to your film settings?  Just curious.  Keep up the great work!

Thank you!

I use classic chrome mostly with sharpening +2, shadows +2 and highlights +1 for greater contrast. Color is 0. Black and white ones are taken with acros with red filter and highlights, shadows and sharpening settings at the same value. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By AudriusZ
      Hello,
      I have been shooting various sport events since 2003 until 2014 on Canon. Then quit action photography and switched to Fuji for more calm photography. Switching was one of the best decisions I've made! That quality of color and sharpness - it still surprises and makes me happy every day! 
      I've been asked to shoot some motorcycle races this season, so googling daily what are the best techniques for Fuji X-T2 because they dramatically differ from Canon. I would like to get some suggestions from You. So here are a couple of questions:
      1. Motorcycle straight on at high speed -  which AF Mode  - Single point, Zone or Wide/Tracking is more reliable?  What size of Single point or Zone? Best custom setting for it?
      2. Panning - same or different AF Mode is best? Best custom setting?
      If it's important what gear I plan to use - it is X-T2 + Battery Grip, 55-200mm, 90mm f/2, 35mm f/2, Samyang 12mm f/2 and 8mm Fisheye.
      Thank You all in advance!

Audrius

• By Ian347
      I have a Godox XProF transmitter but no Godox lights yet. When I connect my XProF to my X-T2 (both on latest software releases) the X-T2 recognises a "flashgun" has been connected but the flash menu refuses to switch into Manual. I can select M using the rear dial but it immediately switches itself back into TTL.
      Is this correct? Will it only work in TTL mode as I would like to have full manual control of my lights?
      Do you think I am doing something wrong?
      BTW this happens when there is no receiver active and also when I have a Godox X1RC receiver switched on, which disappointingly will only change the zoom function on my Pixel 800C (Canon compatible) flashgun, not the power levels or mode. Also the Pixel is not actually working in TTL despite the camera saying so, I have to set the power levels manually in the Pixel.
      Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you

• By Dario
      i m looking to buy flashtriggers and recievers and im afraid i dont know all options...
      Im using some nikon sb900 but in future i would like to use some studiostrobes.
      Hss capability or something like that would be great...
      Any advice?
      Thx
    • By oxjox
      I have an XT2 with Godox X1TF and TT350F. I'm unable to get flash to sync faster than 1/250.

I'm shooting with Auto FP,  TTL and unable to change the camera to Manual flash. Pretty sure I'm missing something stupid here.

Edit / with photos: I'm starting to think maybe I'm describing my problem incorrectly. First of all, I've already stated that FP and TTL are enabled. I've also been testing with the TT350F attached to the camera and I'm getting the same results.

The real issue is that the exposure difference between 250 and 500 is quite dramatic. Like, one is too bright and one is too dark. This is more noticeable with smaller apertures with the subject further away. If I stop down to 2.8 and shoot a subject at 1M, the exposure between 250 and 500 is closer. Although, at 250, I'm definitely still seeing the effect of the flash (bright spot) where as at 500 I think I'm just getting a better exposure just because I've stopped down and the SS is faster than the flash.

The following snapshots are both f8, iso200.

1/250 https://www.dropbox.com/s/yu2u6k7rhzmx5gj/250.png?dl=0

1/500 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pjvc8wztx7qcrm/500.png?dl=0