I'm going cold turkey boys (and any gals)

jlmphotos

So my daughter, who already has taken ownership of some of my Nikon gear, has fallen in love with my X-T1 and my beloved 18-55 lens!

She's been home from school for three months and returns next week for her final semester.  She has started a "new teachers blog" and has been using my X-T1 with the 18-55 to film it.  Now, she wants to take the X-T1 and the 18-55 back with her.  I don't care about the X-T1, but it's gonna hurt real bad not having the lens.  As many of you know, that's my "don't leave home without it lens".  

I'm very torn up.  Initially I gave her, yes, gave her the X-T1 and the 23mm 1.4 as the 23 is not a lens I use often but every time I came home she had the 18-55 on there.  I have a  feeling I'm going to lose it.

So, it looks that I'll be a prime shooter for at least six months -- Except for my 55-200, all my lower range lenses are primes.   I'm very, very nervous about not having that lens in the bag.  I can't tell you how many times I've gone out with the sole intention of shooting with the primes, have gotten so frustrated and fed up and just switched over to the 18-55 and was as happy as a pig in sh*t.

Lordy Lordy....

So my daughter, who already has taken ownership of some of my Nikon gear, has fallen in love with my X-T1 and my beloved 18-55 lens!

She's been home from school for three months and returns next week for her final semester.  She has started a "new teachers blog" and has been using my X-T1 with the 18-55 to film it.  Now, she wants to take the X-T1 and the 18-55 back with her.  I don't care about the X-T1, but it's gonna hurt real bad not having the lens.  As many of you know, that's my "don't leave home without it lens".  

I'm very torn up.  Initially I gave her, yes, gave her the X-T1 and the 23mm 1.4 as the 23 is not a lens I use often but every time I came home she had the 18-55 on there.  I have a  feeling I'm going to lose it.

So, it looks that I'll be a prime shooter for at least six months -- Except for my 55-200, all my lower range lenses are primes.   I'm very, very nervous about not having that lens in the bag.  I can't tell you how many times I've gone out with the sole intention of shooting with the primes, have gotten so frustrated and fed up and just switched over to the 18-55 and was as happy as a pig in sh*t.

Lordy Lordy....

Poor Jorge !

Lucky me, my three sons are still students so if they want something expensive, I make them earn half of the price and I make a gift of the other half. That is the way my father did it with me and it worked, I learned how to earn my own money and how not to spend it easily :-)   From what you said it seems your daughter will soon be a working girl in a profession that will be a service to her community, but not a well paid one. In that case she deserves your support if you can afford it. Sell the Nikon gear and buy another 18-55 !

Kind Regards

George

In six months time you will have a much better idea of whether you're happy as an (almost) all-prime shooter. When you can't fall back on the easy solution of using the 18-35 you'll be forced to find out what you and the primes can achieve.

No one will die as a result of your zoom-privation, and I expect you'll learn a lot. Have fun!

More than anything I would be thrilled if I were you (and I'm sure you are) that your kid enjoy photography.
I hope my 2 sons (or atleast one of them) who ar only 4 and 1 now will pick up photography too when they get older :)

18-55 is a great lens, but almost boring because it's so versatile. You will enjoy the challenge and adapt to only shooting primes in due time, and after a while you might not even miss the 18-55 :)

Poor Jorge !

Lucky me, my three sons are still students so if they want something expensive, I make them earn half of the price and I make a gift of the other half. That is the way my father did it with me and it worked, I learned how to earn my own money and how not to spend it easily :-)  

That sounds like a healthy and smart way to do it. I might steal that idea in the future :)

"You give your children enough money to do something but not enough to do nothing.”

Edited by Hermelin

Poor Jorge !

Lucky me, my three sons are still students so if they want something expensive, I make them earn half of the price and I make a gift of the other half. That is the way my father did it with me and it worked, I learned how to earn my own money and how not to spend it easily :-)   From what you said it seems your daughter will soon be a working girl in a profession that will be a service to her community, but not a well paid one. In that case she deserves your support if you can afford it. Sell the Nikon gear and buy another 18-55 !

Kind Regards

George

Thanks George,

Agree teaching would not have been my first choice of profession, but she will make an excellent salary.  She is also considering some teaching positions in Alaska after graduation!  I lived up there, and she's seen my photos so she wants to go for a couple of years.  Can't say I blame her.  I'd go back if I could, and were younger.

Yeah! We may kindly suggest you to examine (carefully) the threads like "best three XF lenses ever". You  definitely find the answer over there...  :D

Well I have primes, I just don't enjoy using them all the time.  They are somewhat sharper, clearer, and faster but the 18-55 is just so much more convenient.

I'm a happy prime user, but you're right that a zoom can be very convenient. I enjoyed photographing with a zoom during our summer holiday and it's great that it covers everything from wide to normal to a little bit tele all in one lens. And not having to switch lenses on a stormy beach with lots of sand blowing around is an added bonus.

However, I think you should give your primes a chance. Just pop on a 23 or 35 (my favorite is the 23) and leave all your other gear at home. I find it fun and quite liberating. Also I tend to get more creative because I need to move around more to get the shot when I only have one focal length.

The only times when I really feel I'd need a zoom is when it's crowded with a lot of people and I'm unable to move around freely to compose the shot. Or when I'm inside and I can't go wider because I'd be bumping into a wall when I'd step back.

For everything else the 23 is great. It's also cool for very dynamic portraits with a much more 3d perspective as opposed to say the 56 or 90 f.o.v. which normally make things more flat. The 23 f.o.v. is more energetic whilst the 56 or 90 usually are more flattering and more still. Things I'd most likely never have discovered if I'd only have been using a zoom.

Edited by Mervyn

Well I have primes, I just don't enjoy using them all the time.  They are somewhat sharper, clearer, and faster but the 18-55 is just so much more convenient.

I used only one lens for the first 10 years of my photography. A 50mm on film camera.

Then I got my first zoom lens. Never looked back.

So much more convenient and versatile. Never missed a shot, no dust in sensor due to lens changing, carry less lenses on my travels.

I can feel your pain in losing the 18-55mm zoom.

However no pain no gain, hope you find happiness in your prime lenses

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe now you can try the 16-55?

You know I have considered the 16-55 except for the size and weight.  I will have to physically hold it.  My 18-55 was just so darn sweet.  I do love the primes, but that whole swapping thing, especially on a windy, sandy beach is just not for me.

I'm a prime shooter, and pretty much only use the 35mm F/1.4 and zooming with my feet. (18mm in my pocket maybe or on a 2nd body)

But, if I truly don't know what i'm shooting I'd happily take a zoom instead/aswell.

I'd never think of changing lenses on a beach etc, but I rarely feel the need to change lenses in the short (sub 60mm region).

If you need to change lenses because the situations arises (e.g. can't zoom with feet) if you no longer have the 18-55 is taking a 2nd body an option? (a 2nd hand XE-2 body is cheaper than the 18-55 at least here in UK)

Edited by Tikcus

As long as I've been around this site so have you advocating for the 18-55 zoom.  I bought my xt-1 kit with the 18-135 a few years ago...then eventually picked up an 18-55 mostly because of you!

I eventually gave my xt-1 to my sis...with the 18-55 begrudgingly.  

I have missed it...so much that just 2 weeks ago I was able to pick up another off craigslist for a great price.

I am whole again!

Hopefully someday... so will you be again!

As long as I've been around this site so have you advocating for the 18-55 zoom.  I bought my xt-1 kit with the 18-135 a few years ago...then eventually picked up an 18-55 mostly because of you!

I eventually gave my xt-1 to my sis...with the 18-55 begrudgingly.  

I have missed it...so much that just 2 weeks ago I was able to pick up another off craigslist for a great price.

I am whole again!

Hopefully someday... so will you be again!

Wow.  Thank you for that!  I'm humbled.  And I hear ya!!!   Believe me....  I hear ya.

• 3 weeks later...

So, now that the Fuji 8-16 has been announced, I'm waiting to see who will carry the beasts like pack mules such as the holy trinity:

8-16

16-55

50-140

Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

IMHO that is just too large.  I moved to Fuji not only for ease of use, and quality images, but it (was) all wrapped up in a smaller, compact, lightweight package.  No more it seems...

So, now that the Fuji 8-16 has been announced, I'm waiting to see who will carry the beasts like pack mules such as the holy trinity:

8-16

16-55

50-140

Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

IMHO that is just too large.  I moved to Fuji not only for ease of use, and quality images, but it (was) all wrapped up in a smaller, compact, lightweight package.  No more it seems...

Fuji can't break Physics Fast Glass is big, but no I wouldn't carry them unless it was for a specific job. 

The Package can be small and lightweight, or big and heavy, it depends how you roll and the job required. It is thankfully not a 1 fit for all situation.

an X-T 10/20 or XE 2/3 body with a XC 16-50 or XF18-55 is a small and powerful package, but if you want the best performance for wildlife photography, you buy an X-T2 with XF100-400 lens which is a monster to carry around.

But since I don't do a lot of the wildlife and hate weight, my ideal kit is 1 body + 35mm F/1.4 and a nissin i40 if required (along with the 18mm in the bag) it's small and light