infra red

daveat22

All cameras will respond to infra red light. If you take infra red photos the way you describe your exposure times will be considerably longer for a given ISO. This is because not only does the infra red filter block almost all the light in the visible spectrum but there is a filter on the camera's sensor that blocks infra red light so not a lot of the light entering your lens reaches the sensor. At least the XT-2 has an electronic viewfinder so you should still have a reasonable view for framing etc.

If you just want to try infra red photography the cokin IR filter will be OK. Just be prepared to either bump up your ISO (a lot) or use a tripod.

If you decide to get into infra red photography, you might be better buying a body that's been converted for IR or paying for a conversion. IR conversion is basically removing the IR blocking filter from the sensor. You can choose to replace the IR blocking filter with an infrared filter at the sensor (that's what I have done) or you can just remove the IR blocking sensor and replace it with clear glass and use an IR filter on your lens. There are pros and cons for both.

Google infra red photography to find some websites that can provide more detailed advice.

I'm not sure which sensor your camera uses but I found that different Fuji sensors make a lot of difference in IR effect.  My X100s was sensitive enough to take hand held IR in bright sunlight with a 720nm filter.  I have had no IR luck at all with my X100F, which uses a different sensor.  All that I have tried would be classified as poor images.

Even though the X100s was decent, I had it converted two years ago and never looked back.  Now I carry both cameras on most of my photo adventures.

Edited by neal3K

Thanks Col and Neal for that information I found it interesting.

I am not a great IR enthusiast but I have seen some images recently which I found very interesting bordering on artistic. So I thought i would try IR on the cheap  by buying the Cokin IR filter and using it in a P holder. 

I do love long exposure images particularly at the seaside and this would suit this filter as I could use it in conjunction with a 10 stop ND and make the exposure very long, and I have heard that the X-T2 will also take IR with  high ISO settings. Incidentally i would be converting to mono as I really do not like colour IR it looks so false to me.

I bought the Cokin IR filter and took some images today but there was no infra red effect what so ever. I used a post processing technique as described by Scott Photographics but I couldn't get anything like an infra red effect with green leaves showing as white.

When I was having trouble, I got this in response to a comment using a 590 filter.

I would not expect good results from a 590nm filter when using any non converted camera, the light from 590-690nm will be recorded fairly well while the NIR will be less than 1% of that even with a fairly IR sensitive camera.

That is why I was asking.  Since your seems to be a 650nm filter, it should let very little visible light in.

​Let's correspond at my email and perhaps you can send some of your images.  nwellons@hotmail.com