papedo

landscapes with fuji x

Ok. Did you ever try any confrontation? I mean shooting in colour and transforming the image in b&w on the computer.

You get quite different results.

My favourite method for converting Color photos to B&W, has to be Photoshop Gradient map. I watched a video which walked through about 8 different methods, but the gradient map seemed to retain the largest tonal range of colors when converted into B&W. I shoot 100% of my photos in color, but end up converting a lot to B&W in post. Usual method is to fully edit for color in Lightroom, transfer to Photoshop only to apply the "Gradient Map", then bring it back to lightroom and adjust levels to taste.

Here's an example of the look when finished:

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/480/32330412942_e74bea347b_c.jpg&key=5fd7757a4616cd2120c3be7fef96a5a4415028088fd5f6a016b7bd7be1660607">

I've tried just editing in Lightroom by switching to the B&W panel, but for some reason it often reduces the overall tonal range of colors. Gradient map is visibly better, every time (and it's a very simple conversion!)

Ja. You have no idea how often I write a certain word while thinking to another one.

... that explains the confrontational thing 

/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png">

Yes, gradient is like using a graduated filter on the lens

My favourite method for converting Color photos to B&W, has to be Photoshop Gradient map. I watched a video which walked through about 8 different methods, but the gradient map seemed to retain the largest tonal range of colors when converted into B&W. I shoot 100% of my photos in color, but end up converting a lot to B&W in post. Usual method is to fully edit for color in Lightroom, transfer to Photoshop only to apply the "Gradient Map", then bring it back to lightroom and adjust levels to taste.

Here's an example of the look when finished:

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/480/32330412942_e74bea347b_c.jpg&key=5fd7757a4616cd2120c3be7fef96a5a4415028088fd5f6a016b7bd7be1660607">

I've tried just editing in Lightroom by switching to the B&W panel, but for some reason it often reduces the overall tonal range of colors. Gradient map is visibly better, every time (and it's a very simple conversion!)

Edited by lleo

Yes, gradient is like using a graduated filter on the lens

There's the Gradient Filter / Radial filter from Lightroom and Photoshop that adds the Graduated Filter, like the ones attached to lenses.

Gradient Map is an adjustment layer in Photoshop which converts your image into a gradient based on the two colors you choose. This Gradient Map Tutorial is a great resource to teach how it is done!

Edited by Isaac Hilman

"After the Snow"

Fuji X-T1 + 10-24mm. Long exposure with 10 stop + 3 stop stacked ND and cable release

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://farm1.staticflickr.com/264/31610992835_bb9d1fd345_z_d.jpg&key=b2fd9c0db6ce4673d6bd8653dcd0683ea2fc6b2f22c0556dd65b1f139d33ac8d">

Some landscapes from my last trip to Japan, Australia and USA:

Shadows in the Valley @Red Rock Canyon, Nevada, USA by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-T1 + 50-140/2,8

Camping Under Stars @Buffalo Mountains, Australia by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-T1 + 14/2,8

Sheep @Victoria, Australia by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-T2 + 50-140/2,8

Green Valley @Victoria, Australia by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-T2 + 50-140/2,8

Twelve Apostels @Victoria, Australia by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-T1 + 14/2,8

very nice, you Sir are a very fine photographer.

I like the good use of the compressed view of a tele for landscapes with trees and the meadows with the sheep, the one with trees I would have enhanced contrast a little ( or maybe go the other way around) to deal differently with the haze in the background.

very nice, you Sir are a very fine photographer.

I like the good use of the compressed view of a tele for landscapes with trees and the meadows with the sheep, the one with trees I would have enhanced contrast a little ( or maybe go the other way around) to deal differently with the haze in the background.

Thank you for compliment, I'm really glad to hear that! 

On the picture with trees I tried to find best balance between shadows and highlights and you might be right, that I should have went for darker shadows and higher contrast. Will try it when all other photos are ready

/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png">

with the Nikkor AI-S 20/2.8 on X-T1 ...

Winterapfelbaum im Gegenlicht by Enzio Harpaintner, auf Flickr

Thank you for compliment, I'm really glad to hear that! 

On the picture with trees I tried to find best balance between shadows and highlights and you might be right, that I should have went for darker shadows and higher contrast. Will try it when all other photos are ready

Actually, I like that shot the way it is, more natural and makes me feel like I'm there.

Oddly, I found the processing on the last one a little noticeable, but love the shot.

Loved those shots, though, and totally agree about using telephoto for landscapes, not done enough!

Takasphoto - I really enjoyed your photostream. Just so you're aware, though, the above post isn't showing the picture correctly on this thread, just a lot of code, might be worth correcting the link?

Thank you, I think I fixed it - excuse me, it was my first post ever on this forum.  And I appreciate your help!