XT-10 Problem - Random Shutter Firing and more

Hi everyone,

Just came across this forum yesterday as I was researching an issue with my XT-10.

Here it is...

When I turn the camera on the shutter fires three times and the external controls no longer work. The focus, manual and auto no longer work either. Basically it seems like its "brain" has gone haywire. When I turn the camera off, the shutter fires once before the camera turns off. If I switch to auto mode I can get into the

menu, but not when it's in manual mode. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is there possibly a reboot I can do, or as I suspect, I need to get it in to Fuji? (It's still under warranty.) I did buy a new SD card and had put it in the day before the camera broke. I'm traveling in India so I really hope it's not a shotty/fake card that ended up messing up the electronics. Thanks in advance for any ideas and help.

That's definitely not normal behavior.

Have you tried with a known good SD card? I doubt a bad card would damage the camera, but obviously a bad card could cause the camera to misbehave while it's installed. You can also try turning the camera on and off without an SD card.

Ditto with trying without the lens mounted. The camera should turn on and off just fine with no lens and no SD card.

Double-check that your drive mode dial is set to S. It shouldn't be doing that in any position, though. In the burst modes (CL & CH), turning off takes some extra time, but the shutter shouldn't be operating.

Look around the viewfinder/LCD for any settings that don't look right. Again, none of them should cause that to happen.

Does playback work normally?

Have you used Wireless? I've had some quirky behavior if the wireless connection fails during image transfer, but it's always cleared up if I took the battery out and put it back in.

You can try resetting the menu settings. Setup menu 1 > Reset. Note there are two separate resets: one for the shooting menu, and one for the setup menu. According to the manual (p. 106 if you have it with you), these will not reset the following:

• Custom settings
  • Date/Time, including time zone difference for "travel" time
  • Wireless configuration

I'd also pull out the battery and put it back in, although I have no idea if that has any effect aside from the Wireless thing I mentioned. It's easy enough to do.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I figured out that it was in fact the lens that I was using with the camer that was causing the issue. It was the XF56mm. It had somehow sustained some damage and was thus causing the camera to misfire. I realized this after Intoom my camera in and the repair techs couldn’t repeat the issue. Good luck.

• 2 years later...

Hello, I have seen everyone's comments, suggestions, and results from their FUJI XT-10 camera's malfunctions. I made my own attempts, deleting pics, trying to get the AEL to work, it won't... and resetting the camera to get me the P in the window frame..but that won't show up. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions? 

Thanks!