X-T2 4K recording stops

Bill28

So I have 2 new X-T2's that I use almost exclusively for 4K video. The 1st camera I've been using has stopped recording after a few minutes of recording. ( this has happened 3 times on 3 different cards)

It also only seems to happen once on a card.

Yes, I'm using the grip. Also I have tested several cards and I'm using the fastest card , SanDisk Extreme Pro 300. At first I thought maybe it was the card so I went to the fastest card.

But that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any one else have this problem? I'm thinking it's a software bug at this point. Any word from Fuji on this?

Sorry if this topic has been covered before. I did do a search but nothing popped up.

Thanks in advance for any input. Bill

Looks like it's probably the camera. I've been running tests all day, and the 2nd camera runs to 30 mins fine-no stopping. The 1st camera periodically stops before reaching the 30 minute mark.

Looks like it's going back to Fuji tomorrow  :(

The only useful suggestion I might offer would be to ensure both your cameras have been updated then reformat your cards in camera.

It's a weird beast, this camera. While I have no personal interest in videography, I do keep mine set to automatically bracket exposures, and keep two cards in it with one loading as jpeg and the other as RAW. The other day, while shooting one frame at a time, but repeatedly (trying to capture dragonflies, go figure) I once hit a point where the camera couldn't keep up for a moment.

I'm sure there are threads here about shooting 4k video with the camera, maybe they'll have something more useful.

If camera 1 has a problem but camera 2 does not, then that helps to ensure it is a camera problem.

I'd recommend re-applying latest firmware to camera that has the problem.  That may kick it in the butt.  And as per usual 'good practice', format the cards in the camera.

I'd think that should latest firmware re-installed plus formatting cards in the camera and still have problem ... Fuji support may be needed to get it working correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw "uhs ii" (ultra high speed 2?) cards in Amazon this AM (August) at $97.nn a pop. I'd expect for 4K recording you'd want the fastest your budget can stand. How some ever $100.00 bucks for something the size of my thumb nail and easy to lose makes me pause.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Letter sent to Fuji

Sirs,

I'm having X-T2  issues shooting 4K video. I only use these cameras to shoot 4K. I have 2 cameras and both of them have been doing this. I use them on AC, with the motor drive( 2 different motor drives).

After 3 hours of shooting  4K and after a 1 hour rest, I insert a new card and after about 5 minutes of recording the camera just stops recording. The camera starts up right away. Then after a few minutes of recording again, the camera stops again. No heat warning no nothing. Again I can start recording almost immediately.

Thinking it's the card, I'm using a SanDisk SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-II SDXC ,(but this is same type of card I've been using all morning), I switched cards to the SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Memory Card .   After about  3 minutes of recording, it does the same thing on the new card.   So I don't believe it's the cards. The cameras are hot to the touch, so it may be a heat issue.   Any thoughts would be helpful. I may end up getting rid of these if we can't solve this problem. I need reliable cameras when I'm shooting.

Sirs,

I'm having X-T2  issues shooting 4K video. I only use these cameras to shoot 4K. I have 2 cameras and both of them have been doing this. I use them on AC, with the motor drive( 2 different motor drives).

After 3 hours of shooting  4K and after a 1 hour rest, I insert a new card and after about 5 minutes of recording the camera just stops recording. The camera starts up right away. Then after a few minutes of recording again, the camera stops again. No heat warning no nothing. Again I can start recording almost immediately.

Thinking it's the card, I'm using a SanDisk SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-II SDXC ,(but this is same type of card I've been using all morning), I switched cards to the SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Memory Card .   After about  3 minutes of recording, it does the same thing on the new card.   So I don't believe it's the cards. The cameras are hot to the touch, so it may be a heat issue.   Any thoughts would be helpful. I may end up getting rid of these if we can't solve this problem. I need reliable cameras when I'm shooting.

Fuji really seams to be clueless on this. There is another forum is which everyone is having this problem. They are attributing it to the battery pack drive. I'm presently running some tests and it does seem to be a battery pack issue.---to be continued!

Edited by Bill28

Well this explains it. but even their techs don't know about this! Looks like I'll be trading them off for the new Nikon.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Bill28

Well this explains it. but even their techs don't know about this! Looks like I'll be trading them off for the new Nikon.

Good luck if you do that.

After my 3rd Nikon full frame DSLR failed on me at weddings, I ditched all of that product line and went to Fuji.  Not because I was naive and thought Fuji would be problem free, just frustrated and time for a change.

My D3s (their flag ship for a short while) had 2 repairs at Nikon for a random locking up with ERR code on the top LCD.  After 2 repairs and almost $900 (Canadian) it still wasn't fixed and Nikon didn't know what the problem was.  The other 2 failed bodies (D700 and D610) both had different mechanical failures that each required approx $400 repair bills.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Oh ... and a side note.  When I got the D610 I had an incident where video I recorded did not get written to the memory card.  I followed up with Nikon and they didn't know why that would happen.  I later discovered that if the batter got low, there was a chance video would look like it was recording to the memory card but it wasn't!  wtf    From that point on I always made sure when shooting video for wedding clients that the D610 had a battery with more than 50% power.  I was always worried that my video recording was in fact not recording after that.  But I never had that video issue again.

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

Good luck if you do that.

After my 3rd Nikon full frame DSLR failed on me at weddings, I ditched all of that product line and went to Fuji.  Not because I was naive and thought Fuji would be problem free, just frustrated and time for a change.

My D3s (their flag ship for a short while) had 2 repairs at Nikon for a random locking up with ERR code on the top LCD.  After 2 repairs and almost $900 (Canadian) it still wasn't fixed and Nikon didn't know what the problem was.  The other 2 failed bodies (D700 and D610) both had different mechanical failures that each required approx $400 repair bills.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Oh ... and a side note.  When I got the D610 I had an incident where video I recorded did not get written to the memory card.  I followed up with Nikon and they didn't know why that would happen.  I later discovered that if the batter got low, there was a chance video would look like it was recording to the memory card but it wasn't!  wtf    From that point on I always made sure when shooting video for wedding clients that the D610 had a battery with more than 50% power.  I was always worried that my video recording was in fact not recording after that.  But I never had that video issue again.

Ok-thanks!  Looking at the Ninja flame right now-because I really the the image that comes out from the Fuji. 

Edited by Bill28