Recommandation for a >85mm landscape lens

Hey guys!

I'm going to Iceland at the end of August and for that journey I'm looking for a (manual) tele lens in the range from 85mm to 100mm...

29378001244_d82db099cf.jpg

Streets #1 / Iceland with X100T

I would really like to have the Fujinon 90mm but I think it's too expensive for me at the moment (Iceland will also...)

As you see in the title I want to use the lens only for landscapes so I don't need a fast lens. It's just important that the corner sharpness is high enough for the 24mp sensor and the CAs should be easy to remove afterwards.

If you have any recommendations for me - let me know! :)

Have a nice Sunday and many greetings from Hamburg!

Edited by Sebastian_Warneke

Hi Sebastian,

do you want the lens to be X-Mount natively or do you want to adapt one?

The native lenses in that focal lenght range are a bit limited in numbers anyway:

- Samyang 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC
- Samyang 100mm F2.8 ED UMC Macro
- HandeVision Iberit 90mm / 2.4
- Fujinon XF 90mm F2.0 R LM WR
- MOG Trimagon 95 f2.6
- MOG Trioplan 100 f2.8

If the Fuji 90/2 is too expensive, the Meyer Optik Görlitz ones will also be too much.
That leaves you with the two Samyangs and the HandeVision. I haven't heard much about the HandeVision lens, but I've heard many good things about the Samyang lenses.
However, since one is a portrait lens and the other is a macro, both probably won't really be optimized for infinity focus, so you should try that at home and see for yourself if they are good enough.

If you want to adapt a lens, keep in mind that there are still no active adapters for fujifilm cameras available, so the lens you choose should have a manual focus ability (which you wanted anyway) and a manual aperture(!). The lens adapters with built in aperture probably won't make you happy, since the new aperture is not in the right place and will produce vignetting. This takes out all Sony E-Mount lenses, Canon EF-Mount, as well as many new Nikon F-Mount ones and the newer Pentax lenses (DA).

I recently got off ebay (for $50) the Minolta 58mm/1.4   Stopped down to F2.8 - F5.6 it is impressively sharp.  

I got it to have a F2 portrait lens and its great for that.  I shot some landscape/misc stuff a week ago @ F4 and F5.6 and every image was very sharp. 

Two thumbs up!

I also have the Nikkor 105/2.5 mentioned above.  For a greater focal length its great but DOF is noticeable smaller and thus a bit harder to nail focus.

I haven't posted my personal experiences with the Minolta 58/1.4 but I have posted my experiences with the Nikkor 105/2.5 here -> http://www.adamwoodhouse.info/

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

Hey guys,

sorry for the late reply - great to see that you have so many recommendations for me!

Get a used Nikon 105mm f2.5 from eBay. Get the AI-s version made until 2005. Optically superb and built like a tank. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3933527 

I've already thought about that lens! I'm still got an old Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 which I used at my 6D before I got the X-T2 and was very pleased with the image and build quality. 

the samyang 85mm is a great lens at a great price ( you don’t have to shoot everything at 1.4  ;) )

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1024120-REG/samyang_sy85m_fx_85mm_f_1_4_lens_for.html

I know this one - a friend of my has it for his Canon FF, but the design was different (golden ring and plate) - do you know if this is the same lens or is it an APS-C model?

I really really like the quality of the Samyang lenses, I have the 12mm and had the 14mm for FF before - but if it's for FF how is the size combined with a Fuji mirrorless?

Judging by his flickr page OP knows exactly what to do with it and is a very good photographer.

Thank you, nice to hear that! :)

Hi Sebastian,

do you want the lens to be X-Mount natively or do you want to adapt one?

The native lenses in that focal lenght range are a bit limited in numbers anyway:

- Samyang 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC
- Samyang 100mm F2.8 ED UMC Macro
- HandeVision Iberit 90mm / 2.4
- Fujinon XF 90mm F2.0 R LM WR
- MOG Trimagon 95 f2.6
- MOG Trioplan 100 f2.8

If the Fuji 90/2 is too expensive, the Meyer Optik Görlitz ones will also be too much.
That leaves you with the two Samyangs and the HandeVision. I haven't heard much about the HandeVision lens, but I've heard many good things about the Samyang lenses.
However, since one is a portrait lens and the other is a macro, both probably won't really be optimized for infinity focus, so you should try that at home and see for yourself if they are good enough.

If you want to adapt a lens, keep in mind that there are still no active adapters for fujifilm cameras available, so the lens you choose should have a manual focus ability (which you wanted anyway) and a manual aperture(!). The lens adapters with built in aperture probably won't make you happy, since the new aperture is not in the right place and will produce vignetting. This takes out all Sony E-Mount lenses, Canon EF-Mount, as well as many new Nikon F-Mount ones and the newer Pentax lenses (DA).

Hi quincy, thanks for the long text! A native X-mount lens would be great but I can also live with a good adapter combination. I bought an adapter for my old Minolta 50mm f/1.4 but have some light leaks at smaller apertures... Maybe I can fix it with some tape. Can you recommend a brand for these adapters?

The 100mm Samyang sounds interesting - I will have a closer look at that. And also at the other brands I didn't know!

I recently got off ebay (for $50) the Minolta 58mm/1.4   Stopped down to F2.8 - F5.6 it is impressively sharp.  

I got it to have a F2 portrait lens and its great for that.  I shot some landscape/misc stuff a week ago @ F4 and F5.6 and every image was very sharp. 

Two thumbs up!

I also have the Nikkor 105/25 mentioned above.  For a greater focal length its great but DOF is noticeable smaller and thus a bit harder to nail focus.

I haven't posted my personal experiences with the Minolta 58/1.4 but I have posted my experiences with the Nikkor 105/2.5 here -> http://www.adamwoodhouse.info/

Great to know! What kind of adapter do you use? As I've already told quincy I have also a 50mm f/1.4 and I have some really bad problems with smaller apertures, especially at bright daylight...

true but there are many ways to use that lens and for landscapes, provided you don’t tilt the camera too much or have very close objects  on the sides of the shot, you can shoot with almost imperceptible effects.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by milandro

Hi Sebastian,

I've split this up a bit:

I know this one - a friend of my has it for his Canon FF, but the design was different (golden ring and plate) - do you know if this is the same lens or is it an APS-C model?

There is no APS-C Model of the 85mm yet. As far as I know, the gold ring lenses were earlier versions, before Samyang unified their design (black plastic barrel with red ring). You can also see this in older discontinued lenses like the 800/8 reflex.

The gold ring version has 9 elements in 7 groups with one aspherical and a 8-bladed aperture, exactly like the new one, with weight and size also being pretty similar. I can't guarantee it, but i think it's the same lens in a new package.

Samyang has 4 lenses designed for mirrorless cameras so far: 12mm F2.0 NCS CS, 21mm F1.4 ED AS UMC CS, 35mm F1.2 ED AS UMC CS and 50mm F1.2 AS UMC CS.

I really really like the quality of the Samyang lenses, I have the 12mm and had the 14mm for FF before - but if it's for FF how is the size combined with a Fuji mirrorless?

Me too. The longer the focal length of the lens, the less you gain (size and weight saving) by having a mirrorless system.

The 85/1.4 for Canon EOS is (diameter x length in mm) 78x75 and 540 g, while the Fuji X version is 78x101 and 610 g. The adapters are usually heavier than the difference in lens weight, which comes from the integrated "adapter" (which is just a longer lens barrel in the back).

Fuji's own 90/2 is 75x105 and weighs 540 g. It has autofocus, but it's one stop slower.

Hi quincy, thanks for the long text! A native X-mount lens would be great but I can also live with a good adapter combination. I bought an adapter for my old Minolta 50mm f/1.4 but have some light leaks at smaller apertures... Maybe I can fix it with some tape. Can you recommend a brand for these adapters?

The 100mm Samyang sounds interesting - I will have a closer look at that. And also at the other brands I didn't know!

So far I've used adapters from K&F Concept and Fotodiox, both being very good (polished, dirt free, good material - chrome plated brass, play-free). If you want a higher class of adapters you could get those from Novoflex, they are designed and manufactured in Germany. But it's up to you if you want to spend that much money.

Adapting DSLR-lenses will weigh more and be bigger than buying a lens manufactured with the fuji-x mount, but you'll have a larger selection.

I have tried a few different adapters, but have had the best consistent results with K&F Concept.

I have a Fotodiox adapter for Nikon G (has ring to adjust lens aperture on modern G lenses) and it fits and works great on XT1, but does not fit on the XT2.  Something about the lens mount on the XT2 is slightly different than the XT1 and the one Fotodiox Nikon G adapter (purchased 2.5 years ago) won't fit.  It is very very tight to put on the XT2.  So tight, that something isn't right and I don't want to force it.  But on XT1 it fits perfect.

The K&F Concept adapters I have for the other mounts (Minolta, Nikon, Canon FD) all fit great on both XT1 and XT2.

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

• 2 weeks later...

If you wanted something a bit different, then the Lensbaby Velvet 85mm f/1.8 would certainly do that; otherwise there is a 135mm lens I've had my eye on - the MC APO Telezenitar 2.8/135 Lens, which is available new from the Lomography store. Ebay may have some older versions of the lens too. Otherwise I think Samyang is your only other choice really...

Hey guys!

I'm going to Iceland at the end of August and for that journey I'm looking for a (manual) tele lens in the range from 85mm to 100mm...

29378001244_d82db099cf.jpg

Streets #1 / Iceland with X100T

I would really like to have the Fujinon 90mm but I think it's too expensive for me at the moment (Iceland will also...)

As you see in the title I want to use the lens only for landscapes so I don't need a fast lens. It's just important that the corner sharpness is high enough for the 24mp sensor and the CAs should be easy to remove afterwards.

If you have any recommendations for me - let me know! :)

Have a nice Sunday and many greetings from Hamburg!

I own a Nikkor 85mm f/2 ai.

There is some little spherical aberrations at f/2; Pretty usable from f/2.8 good from f/4 to f/8; a little diffraction starts to be from f/11

I use it with x-t10 so 16Mp... I've no idea how it behave with 24Mp sensors!

Edited by sandroamt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey guys - sorry for not responding for a long time!

I read many reviews about the lenses you showed me and also had some saved at my eBay account as a buying option.

But after getting more and more used to my X-T2 and my autofocus lenses I made the decision to sell my much loved X100T and buy a used XF 90mm lens from the money.

And what should I say - it was one of the best decisions I've ever made when it comes to camera gear.

So thank you for all your (budget) recommendations for manual lenses - I hope it will help other photographers when they're looking for a great tele prime lens.

Because of the focal length for landscape - I think I had most of the time the 90mm attached to the X-T2 when I was in Iceland the last 10 days:

36793009980_2c4c85d696.jpg

Skaftafellsjökull #2 / Iceland by Sebastian Warneke

37000644736_e18bed8c28.jpg

Skaftafellsjökull #1 / Iceland by Sebastian Warneke

37079201681_7a8be6b165.jpg

Thakgil #2 / Iceland by Sebastian Warneke

36384635604_521077cfb9.jpg

Hvitserkur / Iceland by Sebastian Warneke (stitched pano)

Hope you like it :)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...