polarizing filter

daveat22

Can I use a Cokin P series circular polarizing filter on the X-T2, and does it help for long exposure mono images?

I ask this question because I have read that they are particularly suitable for cameras with a polarising half mirror, which the Fuji does not have.

Edited by daveat22

The old Cokins were linear. However almost all polarisers are circular nowadays. I can't say for sure if the X-t2 would be compatible with a linear but it is certainly ok to use a circular, so as long as you are sure it's a circular type it will be ok. You will lose 2 stops of light at the most which may not be enough for long exposures.

Thanks for that BobJ I did have in mind the circular polarizer and I have a full set of ND filters including a 10 stop, its a case of whether to use the polarizer in conjunction with the big stop? As you know the Cokin polarizer fits into the P series holder.

The polarizing filter is a very special purpose solution to a limited number of photographic problems. Unless used with skill and knowledge, it can ruin far more images than it enhances. It has two functions—to control reflections from non-metallic surfaces and to block polarized light. In the first case, the sparkle of sunlight on water, flower petals or paint enlivens the image. Without them, the subject matter can look matte and dull. However, when used with skill, polarizer filters can help saturate the colours.

Photographed at a 35° angle to the glass, reflections can be largely eliminated looking like the glass was removed from the window. Great to reveal window display design but it can also look like the building was vandalised. It can also reveal fish in a pond, but used to excess, the fish will appear to be floating in the air, specially if the surface of the water is quite still. Finally if used on a wide-angle lens on a cross-lit scene, it can show a very dark spot in the sky with a wide gradient fall off.

When shooting transparency film, one had no control over the image in processing. One spent a small fortune on time, film and processing to learn how to use it effectively. If one was shooting for publication, it was an absolutely essential tool. It may not have been an ideal solution, but it was the ONLY solution. Shooting RAW and processing with layers, one has vastly more control and an Undo function. Used as a neutral density filter, it is double the price of an actual ND filter and is capable of ruining any image unless you are extremely vigilant.

Well stated, Larry.

Even with the high minimum ISO provided by modern digital cameras, it should surely be enough to have an ND-2 and ND-4 filter in the camera bag in order to force longer exposures when this is desired.

And I'm a photographer who rarely uses filters, but I've always had a top-quality circular polarizer in my kit.