Macro lens?

Fpotter

B&H has a few options: the 60mm macro lens appears to be a winner, but before I leap off what is after all not a very big cliff, I am wondering if there is a general consensus. There is, of course, a hideously expensive alternative but even I can't rationalize getting it.

At this time I find the best alternative are the extension tubes.  I find they work very well on the 18-55 & 55-200.  The 60 mm itself is a very good lens I find myself using it as a walk-around lens quite often as it works well as a straight 60 mm and the Macro is available when I see something I want to shoot close up.  It's limitation is that is is a 1:2 not a 1;1 Macro, but still an excellent lens for close up.

Fuji is going to produce a new 80 mm 1:1 Macro.  It is rumored to be out on or about 5 years ago so don't hold your breath on that one.  

B&H has a few options: the 60mm macro lens appears to be a winner, but before I leap off what is after all not a very big cliff, I am wondering if there is a general consensus. There is, of course, a hideously expensive alternative but even I can't rationalize getting it.

An enlarging lens makes a great macro lens. Fuji makes it easy to mount basically anything to their cameras. High quality enlarging lenses are nearly being given away these days -- I just pulled one out of a drawer. I mounted a 60mm Rodagon to my camera, from what I can see Fuji's 60mm may be nearly as good but it's a lot more $$$$. You lose the auto-focus and auto control of the aperture, but odds are you're on a tripod and focus peaking anyway so no real loss.

What I needed was:

1. 42mm to 39mm step ring. https://www.ebay.com/i/142170759478?chn=ps&dispItem=1

2. Set of 42mm extension tubes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macro-Extension-Tube-3-Ring-L8D-Set-Adapter-for-M42-42mm-Screw-Mount-Camera-Lens-/190771677877?hash=item2c6ae0cab5:m:mkzsdJiy3yrqcDryT2bR0yQ

3. Fujix X to 42mm helical adapter. https://www.ebay.com/i/331751586785?chn=ps&dispItem=1

I spent less than $50.00. You really want the X to 42mm adapter to have a focusing helicoid. How close you can get then just becomes a matter of the extension tube length. With a 60mm enlarging lens and the shortest tube in the set I can focus infinity. Here's a recent close-up.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well for pseudo-macro I've used the 16mm 1.4  Very expensive, but it is one of Fuji's best lenses IMHO.  Tack sharp 24mm equivalent, and it focuses so darn close you have to take the lens hood off!  I also own the 60mm 2.4 and even though it's only a 1:2 reproduction rate it is so sharp it'll cut ya.  Extremely lightweight, sharp, small.  Fits anywhere - in a pocket, bag, etc.

The 60 is quickly becoming one of my "don't leave home without it lens" next to the 18-55 and the 16 1.4

I also own a couple of Fotosay extension tubes I purchased on amazon.  These were about 30 bucks, and before I got my 16 and the 60mm, I attached them to my 35 1.4 and that was truly wonderful.  The extension tubes are a less expensive way to try your hand at macro first, and you can always use them with other lenses.

Edited by jlmphotos

The 2,8/50 Touit Makro is worth every cent over cheaper alternatives.

True 1:1 magnification with no need for extension tubes or close-up dioptres, and Zeiss image quality that is to die for. The AF does hunt a bit at times, but who uses AF with macro photography, anyway?

It remains one of my favourite lenses for my X-cameras.

I love my macros, but I need the 80mm.

The 60mm is nice, and so is the Touit 50mm, but you have to get too close. Same issue of course with the 16, although that is a lovely lens!

The 80mm lets you stay further back, and will take the 1.4x and 2x extenders, which is just perfect.

As for extension tubes, I have them as well, and they work nicely, but it happens quite often that I want a different shot, not a close-up, and you can't take the shot with the extension tube(s) on.

All in all, I'm waiting eagerly for the 80mm macro!

I just acquired a used Tokina 100mm f 2.8 D macro lens, and shooting macro for the first time for me, I was impressed by the lens. Used it on an Xt2 with adapter.

No doubt I need practice.! -g-

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Do the Andoer extension tubes for the Fujifilm Macro Lens also work with other Fujifilm lenses? Amazon lists them as

Andoer DG-FU Auto Focus AF Extension Tube Ring 10mm 16mm Set Metal Mount for Fujifilm X Mount Macro Lens

Curious as they are less than one quarter the price of the Fuji extension tubes.