Tethered Shooting

"The plug-in will be available to download from 26th February 2015 for customers that have purchased the “HS-V5 for Windows® Ver.1.0” software."

But I am looking for the plugin that will NOT require the HS-V5 (Windows) software, as tested and described here:
http://www.laroquephoto.com/blog/2015/2/6/hands-on-x-t1-and-lightroom-tethered-plugin-yessss

So I wrote Fuji this morning asking for answered, and this is what I got back:

Dear Karina,

Thank you for your interest.
At this time, the product that you're looking for is currently in development. It will be released, but we do not have a release date as of yet. 
We sincerely hope this information has been beneficial to you. If you should have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us in the future.

Thank you for choosing Fujifilm digital cameras.

Sincerely,

Robert M.
Digital Camera Technical Support

Btw, Antonius, tethered shooting is basically connecting your camera to your computer with a USB cable, and as you are shooting, your images appear on the monitor. So for studio photography this is an essential tool for you and your clients to know if what you wanted to achieve has been accomplished. It just speeds up the process of adjusting, selecting and correcting immensely. 

My tethering issue has been resolved:

A guy from the German Fuji-X-Forum has developed a small background service program which transfers the files coming from the X-T1 via USB into a directory of your choice. In Capture One you can use that directory as a hot-folder so every picture will be imported into Capture One at once. This works with Capture Pilot as well so you can present the pictures on a iPad as well.

So, working thru all the downloads, etc. associated with this, for Mac users, it seems to come down to the Tethering Plug-In.  Apparently, the Mac version of the plug-in is bundled along with the PC version in a single .EXE file that needs to be run and the contents decompressed.  In Fuji's brilliance, they appear to have only provided the single compressed .EXE file, which makes the Fuji plug-in inaccessible to Mac users, since these files cannot be run on a Mac.  Something that would be way cool would be for someone who is a PC user to actually download the .EXE, run it, then post a link to the Mac (.PKG) file (that has  been placed in a share file somewhere) so we can give it a try and see if it actually works.  Anyone game?  Here's the download site:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/hsv5/plugin_01/download.html

Hi Harlem.  Is there anyway you could share that small background program?  Thats exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks!!

My tethering issue has been resolved:

A guy from the German Fuji-X-Forum has developed a small background service program which transfers the files coming from the X-T1 via USB into a directory of your choice. In Capture One you can use that directory as a hot-folder so every picture will be imported into Capture One at once. This works with Capture Pilot as well so you can present the pictures on a iPad as well.

Hi Harlem.  Is there anyway you could share that small background program?  Thats exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks!!

that does not work, when the .exe. id decompress on a windows machine, there isn't the require .pkg file for mac users.

bottom line, this is not available for the Mac at the current time and I believe even the windows version is technically for the japan market only.  i.e. the purchase of the original HS-V5 software is for Japan only

that does not work, when the .exe. id decompress on a windows machine, there isn't the require .pkg file for mac users.

bottom line, this is not available for the Mac at the current time and I believe even the windows version is technically for the japan market only.  i.e. the purchase of the original HS-V5 software is for Japan only

The solution I am talking about has nothing to do with the Fuji-Software. Unfortunalely that service is running under MS-Windows only. I had to install Parallels on my MacBook to run the Tether-Service on a virtual MS-Windows machine.

Tethering is the only thing holding fuji from being a professional system. IMO

Yes, agreed. I picked up an X-T1 about 6 weeks ago and have done several paying gigs with it - it's great! But I have one Client who wants me to shoot aircraft interiors for him. Those have to be tripod/tethered so he can approve each long exposure shot. I had to lug all my Canon gear back out for that one!

Let's not despair - it WILL be released. Let's remember how new this system really is in the grand scheme of things! Frustrating? But Fuji will come through.

So, working thru all the downloads, etc. associated with this, for Mac users, it seems to come down to the Tethering Plug-In.  Apparently, the Mac version of the plug-in is bundled along with the PC version in a single .EXE file that needs to be run and the contents decompressed.  In Fuji's brilliance, they appear to have only provided the single compressed .EXE file, which makes the Fuji plug-in inaccessible to Mac users, since these files cannot be run on a Mac.  Something that would be way cool would be for someone who is a PC user to actually download the .EXE, run it, then post a link to the Mac (.PKG) file (that has  been placed in a share file somewhere) so we can give it a try and see if it actually works.  Anyone game?  Here's the download site:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/hsv5/plugin_01/download.html

Except that what you are suggesting is illegal.....it is paid software, not free :(

Except that what you are suggesting is illegal.....it is paid software, not free :(

Umm, no, at least for the Mac, it was my understanding that tethering support would not require any additional investment beyond LR itself.  The implication was that the free download in the link I supplied contained support both for the Fuji and PC versions.  If that assumption is wrong, then I would certainly agree with you and under no circumstances would I knowingly advocate piracy (particularly on a public forum for heaven's sake).

Ok, I have both an Apple and a Windows computer. I downloaded the .exe file and tried to open it. I get the same error message every time: HS-V5 not found.

If you don't have that program installed that you can currently only get in Japan, you can't do anything with this plugin. Neither Mac nor Windows. We are waiting for a paid plug-in for Lightroom that will work without any additional software from Fuji, purchased or otherwise. I know for fact that this plug-in exists, and Fuji will make it available to us over the Adobe Exchange Network.

When that is, nobody knows. Seriously. NOBODY. Not even the people at Fuji. 

Ok, I have both an Apple and a Windows computer. I downloaded the .exe file and tried to open it. I get the same error message every time: HS-V5 not found.

If you don't have that program installed that you can currently only get in Japan, you can't do anything with this plugin. Neither Mac nor Windows. We are waiting for a paid plug-in for Lightroom that will work without any additional software from Fuji, purchased or otherwise. I know for fact that this plug-in exists, and Fuji will make it available to us over the Adobe Exchange Network.

When that is, nobody knows. Seriously. NOBODY. Not even the people at Fuji. 

Thanks for setting the record straight, Karina.  Much appreciated.

According to the Fuji Guys, the plug in will be available "soon" on Adobe's site. They mentioned they are planning on publishing a YouTube video when the plugin is available. So, Fuji hasn't abandoned the Mac plugin. I have found a couple of places where the required HS-V5 app is sold. It's been a while since I checked. I believe it was available as CD/DVD(?) purchase at B&H and there was an online camera store in Australia selling it. I know that doesn't help much.

The "free" aspect comes from Fuji's wording for the HS-V5 update. The update is indeed free. But, only to purchasers of HS-V5. The installer will check your computer for an installed HS-V5 app. If you don't have it on your hard drive, the installer will quit with an error message. Lots of people assumed the plugin was free. It isn't. And it won't be free when it becomes available on Adobe's site. I will be sold through Adobe. Considering the free firmware updates (think 4.0 for X-T1) that literally give you a new camera just for downloading and installing, it isn't such a hard pill to swallow.  

For those of you who want to have their X-T1 captured images imported directly into Capture One

There's a guy named Michael (all credits to him) who developed a small program which copies captured imaged directly into a selectable folder. To get the program follow this link.

The problem is that this program is available for windows only. Now I've successfully installed it on my MacBook Pro:

- Mac OS X 10.9.4
- Parallels Desktop 10
- Windows 10 Preview (any other Windows Version should work as well)
- XT1Move V0.9.1 (This is the software from Michael)
- X-T1 Firmware 3.0
- 3m USB-Kabel
- Capture One 8.1.1 Mac-Version

It simply works:-)

- XT1Move Software installed in the virtual Windows engine
- Defined a target directory for captures by launching XT1 (This directory can be acccessed by Windows and OS X)
- Imported the target directory into a C1-catalog once
- Set the directory as Hot-Folder (see C1 documentation)
- Shoot and you will have imported the captured image in a second. smiley.gif

The only caveat is that this is no real tethering so you have no live view and you have to operate the camera to shoot. But for me this works very well.

Fujifilm has handled the "release" of the tethering software really really poorly, especially for us Mac users. From what info I have Mac users have to wait for the plugin to be released through Adobe. I don't. even think the plugin will work cross-platform. I didn't mean to imply that you are condoning piracy or anything like that, it's just very confusing and people might think that it IS ok to extract the

plugin and share it. But apparently it isn't.

I think Fuji is being very conservative after jumping the gun with the first release of the plugin causing problems. They want to make sure they don't have customers experiencing files disappearing from their cards again. 

As far as PC users getting the plugin for free? That never happened. The plugin is included in HS-V5. That means purchasers of HS-V5 get a copy AT NO EXTRA CHARGE. Free, it is not. That being the case, Fuji is within their rights to program the update to fail when it cannot detect an installed HS-V5 on the hard drive. This is just one of many ways coders can prevent unauthorized access to software that hasn't been paid for. It's not free, it's not free, it's not free. 

So, Fuji made some mistakes with the release of HS-V5 - from our point of view. The information wasn't clear and lots of people were disappointed, myself included. I don't read or speak Japanese, so I can't say I may have come to a different conclusion had that been the case. I suspect this is one of those "perfect storm" situations where everything went to heck in a hand basket. That is life, sometimes. The larger and more complex an organization is, the more likely something like this is to occur. Since Fuji is usually so good about similar things, it makes this look doubly bad when we contrast it to all of the good stuff we are accustomed to.

my 2 cents