New iMac or Build a Powerful PC?

Savviest

I am facing a dilemma.  The cost/specs of the new iMacs infuriates me.  For the cost of a base 27 inch iMac, I could build a PC with superior processing power, a better video card, and Terabytes of SSD storage.  Plus, I am sick of editing photos on the iMac's glossy screen.  The only thing holding me back is Windows.  In 2010 I switched to Apple because I was sick of dealing with PC/Windows issues.  Can anybody using a PC let me know if Windows really has improved and become reliable in the last 7 years?   Thank you.

Edited by Savviest

This is one area where thrift has never appealed me (other than not necessarily buying the most expensive model of anything that I don’t need to their outmost performance per se ).

I have been using Apple products since 1986 ( you don’t want to know how much we spent back then for a professional system().

I find it weird that one would happily spend lots of cash for a camera body ( which is not the cheapest on the market  and that is probably going to last  you less than a computer which does many more things by the way than pictures) and then start having second thoughts on the computer system.

If you want to do things on the cheap you can always get a MacMini and get a cheaper monitor ( why would this need to be a 27” Apple when you have plenty of alternatives?).

Of course there will always be those who will buy a GFX (or declare they would)  and then save a few bobs on the computer and I am in no doubt that they will chip in right after me.

All the horses need courses too. If you ask me , there are people around with cameras and computers way better than they can do justice to. Most just buy the most expensive things out there just because they can, but there is nothing in their pictures of films to justify any of the “ power” that they are buying but yes, it is nice to know that you have the best on the desk or at your side, despite the pictures that some folks are capable to put under their belt.

Anyway these discussions on apple stuff are common around the web.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1284771

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401541,00.asp

Edited by milandro

Each to their own, personally using Macs and PC's, I'd never opt to use a mac over a PC if what I was doing needed more processing or GPU power (mostly Video Rendering in my work stream).

I have no issues or problems with Windows 10, or OSX, both at rock solid stable, if the system is configured correctly.

People like to blame windows for any problem, when in reality it is mostly user error that causes problems. (P.I.C.N.I.C - Problem in chair not in computer)

If you only install software from reputable sources (as in pay for it not stealing it) and don't click all the flashy links that promise free stuff, you probably wont get a virus.

But If you are happier using the system you know, you'd need to decide if you want to change if it adds a learning curve that you may or may not have time for.

If you decide to build a new PC I'd recommend using tier one components, rather than cutting corners. 

I use a PC with Windows 10 and it has not glitched on me. Apple always charges more, often a lot more, for their products but they do put extra effort into software compatibility, security, and user interface.

The software interface for your favorite applications is what you should be weighing more heavily than price. For many people, familiarity with the interfaces and work-flow are more important than hardware specifications. If, for example, you use Photoshop for Mac, can you get comfortable going through Windows to launch it, use the PC version of Photoshop, find your photo archive through the PC's Windows Explorer, and link to your NAS via PC? If so, then a switch should not be a problem. If not, perhaps keeping with your current system and saving up for for a new Mac is the way to go.

PCs are generally cheaper than Macs so raw performance for the price often means a shorter replacement cycle than Mac users but Mac users generally care less about having latest hardware and more about a consistent and trouble-free user interface to get tasks done with minimal mental stress. It is kind of similar to people who buy, or lease, new cars every 2-3 years compared to those who buy used cars or build/mod their own.

Guest mikEm13

My home system started out as Apple ll and after many years I went to pc because its what I used at work. That lasted two years then I want back to Apple for my sanity. I still worked with a windows desktop at work and a laptop for traveling. I loaded Windows 8 on my mac not too long ago for gaming and I still do not care for the system. I guess you know where I stand. As I said Ive made the change and it didn't work out for me so I wish you the best of luck with your decision.

I am in computers since 1978, from the times when hard disks were as big as a washing machine and we had to adjust the heads with allen keys each week (true). I have built and/or sold thousands, have used Apples and PC's. I have a house full of computers from the size of a post stamp to a server the size of an AS/400. I have a 2Gbit optical wire straight to the national internet traffic exchange. I can choose whatever computer for myself. I use a PC that I built with an M.2 NVMe SSD, a GTX 1060 on a i5 with a 4K monitor. I can send you a detailed parts list if you wish. And the price difference between Apple and PC is not the reason.

Of course, half of the world will not agree with me, but if you are collecting opinions, this is mine. Depends what type of a user you are and what you want to do with it. Cheers, good luck.

I have a 2Gbit optical wire straight to the national internet traffic exchange.

George, it sounds like you are hosting some broadcasting networks. Are you? Not sure that anything else might utilise such bandwidth...  :D

Edited by mdm

George, it sounds like you are hosting some broadcasting networks. Are you? Not sure that anything else might utilise such bandwidth...  :D

Haha... No, I am just providing internet connectivity to three small buildings with offices. 2Gbit is not all that much if you divide it between two or three dozens of clients. I have a rack with a few Mikrotik routers hooked to a Cisco switch that is connected to that above mentioned optical cable. I have that line because my company had been a contributing member of the national academical network association for a long time and some years ago a when a nearby college dorm was cabled to the national traffic exchange (which is governed by the academical network and resides in the site which was previously the biggest academical computer centre) we piggybacked on that. Cheers, my friend.

I am facing a dilemma.  The cost/specs of the new iMacs infuriates me.  For the cost of a base 27 inch iMac, I could build a PC with superior processing power, a better video card, and Terabytes of SSD storage.  Plus, I am sick of editing photos on the iMac's glossy screen.  The only thing holding me back is Windows.  In 2010 I switched to Apple because I was sick of dealing with PC/Windows issues.  Can anybody using a PC let me know if Windows really has improved and become reliable in the last 7 years?   Thank you.

Whatever... It's your hard-earned money.  But it's still not a mac.  Sorry.  PC's have their place in the ecosystem, but a Mac is far superior as far as I'm concerned for image processing/photogaphy in general.

I am facing a dilemma.  The cost/specs of the new iMacs infuriates me.  For the cost of a base 27 inch iMac, I could build a PC with superior processing power, a better video card, and Terabytes of SSD storage.  Plus, I am sick of editing photos on the iMac's glossy screen.  The only thing holding me back is Windows.  In 2010 I switched to Apple because I was sick of dealing with PC/Windows issues.  Can anybody using a PC let me know if Windows really has improved and become reliable in the last 7 years?   Thank you

I've been using both Windows and Apple iOs for the last 10 years. Both will do the job equally well. For a novice, I'd recommend going the Apple way. You have to do less to get decent edit. For Windows based PC, there's more work in selecting a suitable hardware list (there are still compatibility issues here and there) and you'll need to calibrate your color eco system.

From my personal experience, Win 7 Pro 64bit and Win 10 Pro 64bit is very, very reliable and stable. High resolution (4k) scaling for fonts and icon is still no where near iOs but you do get a much faster pc for your money. Go with m2 nvme ssd or SSD based os drive if you can. The former being the preferred choice. I only recommend Samsung 950 Pro or the 850 Pro.

I found this article helpful when it comes to Apple products.

http://www.businessinsider.my/apple-mac-computers-you-should-buy-and-which-to-avoid-2017-7/?r=US&IR=T

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 10 is stable now. In its early days Microsoft was using its customers as beta testers. It was appaling. The only problem with Windows is it is much more vulnerable to malware. That is nothing to do with any inherent weakness. The crooks generally don't bother with the Mac side of things because they are relatively few of them. I use Windows but have to concede that if you want a quiet life a Mac might be the way to go.

I am all for thrifty solutions if at all possible.

But I fail to see the logic of spending thousands in acquiring camera and lenses ( while there are cheaper options out there )only to then try to save a few hundreds acquiring a computer that will give certainly more problems than another. 

That would be really being penny wise and pounds foolish.

If you compare standalone computers LIKE the Imac in Windows environment they are not much cheaper than a Imac (see the link published also above https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401541,00.asp)... nobody follows links I guess.

Edited by milandro

I am in computers since 1978, from the times when hard disks were as big as a washing machine and we had to adjust the heads with allen keys each week (true). I have built and/or sold thousands, have used Apples and PC's. I have a house full of computers from the size of a post stamp to a server the size of an AS/400. I have a 2Gbit optical wire straight to the national internet traffic exchange. I can choose whatever computer for myself. I use a PC that I built with an M.2 NVMe SSD, a GTX 1060 on a i5 with a 4K monitor. I can send you a detailed parts list if you wish. And the price difference between Apple and PC is not the reason.

Of course, half of the world will not agree with me, but if you are collecting opinions, this is mine. Depends what type of a user you are and what you want to do with it. Cheers, good luck.

You good also do that and install Ubuntu Linux, it is a brilliantly slick packaged Linux. Just because you build your own PC it doesn't have to be Windows O/S. This is what I did, I gave up Windows years ago and wiped the hard drive, installed Slackware to begin with, but ended up with Ubuntu, as it recognised at that time all of my hardware with much less hassle.

Add Open Office and some Linux photo editing software and it was brilliant until I was given a well-secondhand Power PC and since that day 8 years ago perhaps more I have been on Apple. All the stuff I learnt on Linux works just the same on OS X in the Terminal. 

Just my two pennies worth.