18-55 kit lens softness

Hi

Just bought the x-t20 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Did test shots and found very soft images at 18mm f2.8. I know that in 18mm f2.8 its not very sharp in compare to f5.6 or f8.0 but that softness makes it somewhat useless at that f stop. IS is OFF.

Maybe it needs to be calibrated? 

I had a similar problem with my first copy of this lens: mine was rather soft generally,  but particularly at the 55 end. After some research online I discovered lots of comments about variation between copies. I exchanged mine for another, and the new one is beautifully sharp. I'd strongly recommend that you try exchanging yours. Good luck.

Just bought the x-t20 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Did test shots and found very soft images at 18mm f2.8. I know that in 18mm f2.8 its not very sharp in compare to f5.6 or f8.0 but that softness makes it somewhat useless at that f stop. IS is OFF.

IS is OFF .  Maybe this explains ..... what shutter speed did you shoot at ?  at 1/60 or slower speed the lack of IS might affect the perceived sharpness.

IS is OFF . Maybe this explains ..... what shutter speed did you shoot at ? at 1/60 or slower speed the lack of IS might affect the perceived sharpness.

The speed was way above 1/60. When I get home I will upload a jpg straight out of the camera so you can see it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

All X camera with interchangeable lenses have the option to shoot without lens but why would THAT have anything to do with sharpness?

It doesn’t.

Anyway, to debunk this before becomes a myth... here a few shots with and without shoot without lens, they look identically, sharp, to me!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by milandro

without option without lens

with and without

I took another set of photos and Im starting to think that maybe it is not the softness of the lens but something else.

About 1 every 5 images comes out not sharp.

I uploaded an example of such photo. I wish I could attach 1:1 images but I added a 1:1 crop of the left side of the photo.

I’ve checked very well before I published  the pictures and it doesn’t the pictures do not differ anymore than any picture shot by hand and not on a tripod would from another,

Anyway, what will be the theory behind your notion? It is a simple on off switch and nothing more. It doesn’t activate or disacrtivate anything else.

Regardless of our difference of opinions on the impact this feature.

It is absolutely clear that OP pictures have much more to them that it is wrong than mine! Haze , lack of contrast, perhaps a purple color shift too ( the color banding I suppose is due to resizing).

Edited by milandro

I'm interested in this discussion of the effects - or lack of effects - of the Shoot Without Lens setting on IQ. Can any others offer advice on this, please? Like milandro, I can't see any differences in my images whether I have the setting on or off, and I can't understand how this setting could affect IQ if it is simply left on. The setting is buried deep in the Set-up menu and there's no way of assigning it to My Menu or the Q menu, so it would be a real hassle to keep turning it on and off again every time I want to use a Samyang lens! 

Here's a couple shots I took a little while ago. Even if the light changed a little bit between the two shots (doing a cloud passing by), they were taken with the camera still on the ground, auto shot, auto focus and nothing else. The first images are with shoot without lens OFF, the second ones with the option ON.

As you can see, it's not just my opinion but there's a difference in contrast and in the focal lenght between the two options.

Of course is a ON-OFF switch, but I think it affect the presence of any sensor on the lens. I don't know technically what this means, I guess is just a software difference. The images taken with the option OFF are sharper, no matter what.

The images are not resized nor modified in any way. The crops are at 100%

DSCF2714.jpgDSCF2715.jpg

Above corner with option OFF, below option ON. Crop 100%

corner_OFF.jpg

corner_ON.jpg

Above center option OFF, below ON

center_OFF.jpg

center_ON.jpg

Center image above option OFF, below ON. Crop 100%

center_2_ON.jpg

center_2_ON.jpg

still,this is not apparent in any of my pictures. the variations that you propose are so minimal that can be attributed to any number of things.

I don’t understand why switching on or off any function of the camera simply linked to a mechanical thing would produce any such effect and , most importantly, why this wouln’t be mentioned on any manual of any X camera published by themselves or other authors.

THIS along wit my empirical observation (along with a pinch of good old skepticism) make absolutely unconvinced ot this supposed effect that Fuji never disclosed.

Anyway, this that you show has absolutely nothing to do with the macroscopic complaint by OP, whose problems are much more evident .

Edited by milandro

Another 18-55 is soft thread again huh.

Might as well respost my post from that thread

Took this one today on poorly lit room @ ISO 800 where the lens is the softest which is wide open f/4 at 55mm. Thank to to the OIS, I could shot this @ 1/15.
Straight out of famera, no editing. Sharp enough in my eyes. Last time I worried about sharpness, I had a Canon

33212018724_215d87de95_h.jpgDSCF2883 by Filip Hermelin, on Flickr

Since like I spamming my pics, here's another "soft" 18-55 shot 

35492018395_f6c409b310_b.jpgDSCF8116 by Filip Hermelin, on Flickr

100% crop
0GHPil8.png
Edited by Hermelin