Fujifilm X-H1 Rumors

I think a lot of people expect IBIS to be a magic wand, in this case (and others because we still have to see what they really mean by this since it might turn out to be a function only available when filming ) against motion blurring in general, but of course, if you are shooting at slow speed something that moves aiming at the subject being sharp and frozen and the background to be motion blurred, the only way would be to use panning (for example) in which case IBIS and OIS are welcome.

Provided you master the art of following your subject with a fluid movement that is.

So does IBIS provide any actual benefits for stills photography, apart from panning?

And I'm sure I've seen good action panning shots taken with 35mm film cameras, without IBIS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

I get that, but what is the benefit of stabilisation if subject movement at slow shutter speeds will still give you a blurred picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That it will compensate for your own movements. So you can hand hold with lower shutter speeds.

and it is still not clear whether that applies to photography too or only to filming

If you shake your camera it will work in panning, but panning existed before any of this existed.

Neither Ibis nor Ois can render still a picture of a subject moving if you are shooting with a shutter speed too long for the movement .

For some reason that I don’t understand someone expects it to happen . 

Edited by milandro

The rumored IBIS for Fuji is cool and will likely be welcome, but definitely not necessary - except to keep Fuji competitive, as IBIS is the cool thing of late.  

Bottom line when push come to shove a tripod with remote switch is the best stabilization available.  When tripod/remote are not possible, the next best is IBIS or Lens OIS.  The truth is knowing your equipment, that is proper ISO/Shutter speed (etc) for conditions is primary, any thing else supplemental.  No matter what fancy features you have available, if you do not know your equipment; you will struggle..  

The rumored IBIS for Fuji is cool and will likely be welcome, but definitely not necessary - except to keep Fuji competitive, as IBIS is the cool thing of late.  

Bottom line when push come to shove a tripod with remote switch is the best stabilization available.  When tripod/remote are not possible, the next best is IBIS or Lens OIS.  The truth is knowing your equipment, that is proper ISO/Shutter speed (etc) for conditions is primary, any thing else supplemental.  No matter what fancy features you have available, if you do not know your equipment; you will struggle..  

"Bottom line when push come to shove a tripod with remote switch is the best stabilization available."  But only for some kinds of photography.

You can always get amazing images with really simple, basic equipment but if there are modern improvements, such as IBIS available, why struggle?

"lots of folks seem to think that the more features, the better, even if they end up never using it." I kind of agree, but there are some basic modern conveniences, like IBIS, that simply make life easier. I also think there are often too many features because I don't use them, such as touch screen,  but for others these features are very helpful. I'd rather have a camera with too many features because one day I may appreciate the very function I once despised.

• 1 month later...

Back in the day, I took many beautiful photographs with an Olympus OM-2 which is about as featureless as they come. There is however something called progress ans that is a good thing. Maybe today's cameras are overloaded with features that some do not understand or need but experience has taught me that it is good to have the option. Think of a Swiss Army knife with all those blades, you probably only use the main cutting blade 95% of the time but those seemingly useless other blades and gizmos may well be the only thing that will do the job at a crucial moment.

IBIS seemingly for some is like the tool on a Swiss Army knife often described as being the blade for "extracting a boy scout from a horses hoof" ;) and perhaps those people can't see the need nor want to have it, but personally I think IBIS is the very tool that enables me to take better pictures when the conditions demand it.

Longevity is still my primary concern, and heat in long exposures.

If all these IBIS cameras go belly up in 10 years most people are going to regret having the feature, especially given the likely cost of repair.

Maybe someday they’ll have an IBIS Active Time counter and that’ll be a critical facter in resale value. Then you’ll end up with most people spending extra for IBIS and never using it.

I own a Olympus E-M5 II and IBIS is probably the main reason I still use it besides my Fuji cameras, especially for tele lenses and video. Is an amazing technology and really useful when you need very slow speeds or have a tele from other brand. The only time I turn it off is just on a tripod.

Longevity is still my primary concern, and heat in long exposures.

If all these IBIS cameras go belly up in 10 years most people are going to regret having the feature, especially given the likely cost of repair.

Maybe someday they’ll have an IBIS Active Time counter and that’ll be a critical facter in resale value. Then you’ll end up with most people spending extra for IBIS and never using it.

Heat in long exposures is not going to be an issue because using any form of stabilization for long exposures would be counterproductive. When a camera is tripod mounted anti-shake can introduce vibration - which then degrades the sharpness of the image. So, for long exposures, use a tripod and switch anti-shake off!

As to longevity, I don't think IBIS is any more likely to fail than any other moving mechanical component, such as the shutter.

• 5 weeks later...

You know, Fujifilm could keep the x-mount and still offer mechanical IBIS by using a software crop to the image. If a lens is not equipped with ILIS, the camera can shave pixels off the four sides to prevent the luminance uniformity problem caused by the sensor moving near the edge of the mount's occlusion.

Still, software-based IBIS is more likely, though I suspect it will reduce battery life as the sensor may have to capture multiple images and analyse each for the one with the least blurriness. Ideally, small-area sharpness and contrast (MTF) will be analyzed over the entire sensor for several exposures and the best areas from each will be re-composed into a single image. That will need a lot of processing power, though. Alternatively, low-res images, including PDAF elements, can be captured real-time until the processor declares a "Goldilocks" moment (with minimal motion blur) has been found and locks in the full-res image.

For video, the camera would probably take a more traditional processing approach where edge-detection is used to line up consecutive images and crop the jagged edges.

Edited by bhu

I suspect that at least one reason that Fuji have not yet used IBIS is that Sony (via Minolta) and Olympus hold all the patents and Fuji don't want to pay to use them.

I have had several cameras with IBIS from Minolta and Sony and have never had a problem. I have never experienced the problem of stabilisation causing blurring at higher shutter speeds either. I suspect that it is a myth as it would be very easy to design the system to alter the response with shutter speed or indeed to switch it off. I can't believe that the engineering can be that bad as not to do that.

If Fuji could put OIS into all the lenses that could benefit from it we wouldn't need IBIS.