ISO still high with flash...

JohnN

Hi,

No doubt this has been asked\answered loads of times but it seems my search-fu is weak!

I've been lucky enough to pick up a shiny new Godox TT350F and have set it to TTL, but my test shots have all basically maxed the ISO (it was a darkish room), but then of course flash fires and I feel there was no need for it to be so high.

Other than manually setting the ISO - which I don;t really want to do as I'll forget and leave it there - and I have the XT-20, so no nice dial how would I get round this - is there a setting somewhere, sort of an auto-iso for flash?

Cheers

Okay, never mind - it seems the camera isn't psychic and can't guess what I'm planning to do with the flash so instead pretends its a normal image, so the best (or accepted) solution appears to be to set the ISO manually and let the flash do the work.

So for me I've added ISO and Preview settings to My Menu and will have to try and remember to set it back when not using flash.

The camera should be psychic as it's TTL system!

Try a different variety of situations. I'd guess it's trying to boost the non lit background to match the exposure of the flash lit foreground so it doesn't look like a horrendous 1980s flash stun gun shot. Try using the flash for fill in when there is plenty of light, the iso should reduce then.

If you want a very lit subject and very dark surroundings then bop out to manual (camera and flash) and tell it exactly what you want.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

P. S. Before I had my x-t2 I had a Nikon D810 and shot with an sb910 (both pro kit) and never really worked out why, on auto iso, it had a fetish for shooting at iso400 on a super sunny day, making me stop down to f/16 to get the sync speed low enough. ?

Thanks for replying, sounds like its a bit of a minefield, even on more established (for flash) systems.

Just thinking back on using it as fill on brighter days, wouldn't that just naturally drop the auto ISO anyway?

Thanks for replying

Fujifilm's handling of flash is downright primitive. You have to reconfigure the camera to full manual exposure (shutter, aperture, and ISO) and turn off "Preview Exp. in Manual Mode" so that you can see through the viewfinder. Plus, of course, activate and configure the flash. Then when you're done, you have to switch everything back.

Even my 35-year-old Canon AE-1 has enough sense to force the shutter speed down to X-Sync when on-camera flash is active. My 12-year-old entry-level Canon Rebel XT DSLR adds an option to force shutter speed up to X-Sync in aperture priority mode when the flash is active, it automatically recognizes when HSS is being used, and it automatically adjusts the exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation to deal with the added lighting the flash provides.

But not Fuji. There is nothing -- nothing -- that is automatically reconfigured when flash is activated. It's all left to the photographer.

That's fine for me. I rarely used flash before, and now I just don't bother at all unless I'm doing an entire session with flash. It's not worth the trouble.

P. S. Before I had my x-t2 I had a Nikon D810 and shot with an sb910 (both pro kit) and never really worked out why, on auto iso, it had a fetish for shooting at iso400 on a super sunny day, making me stop down to f/16 to get the sync speed low enough. ?

Auto ISO and flash with Nikon was a pain in the ass for me.

I had the D750 and the SB-910 and hated how it worked compared to the Canon.

With Nikon, Auto ISO only went up to 2x from the lowest set ISO. So if your minimum ISO was set to 100, the max it will go with TTL is 400. It would never automatically go high enough to balance the background like on Canon. There was a setting for expose for entire frame or background only and it made barely any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Experiment with the metering modes, they may have an influence on how ISO and TTL interact when using flash.

Also within the menu there is an option to apply ExComp setting specific to flash so if you find that its always to bright for your tastes you can set the Flash ExComp to -1 EV etc semi permanently in the flash menu.

Just some ideas to try.

G

I don´t now how is this with Godox, but I have Nissin i60A and it works on X-T2 (same flash protocol as X-T20) perfect in ISO AUTO mode. The same results are in normal sync, AUTO shutter or in HSS mode. From 1m distance is TTL funktion correct with low ISO number. (Lower than max value in ISO AUTO). I´m with Nissin i60A very satisfied.

PS: I have last FW in flash.