X-T1 - Graphite Silver vs. Black

I have been wanting the graphite silver X-T1 for a long time. Now that I am ready to pull the trigger, I find myself wondering if its worth the extra dollars. Besides looking a lot nicer/ sexy, is there any other benefit to going with the silver? Overtime, will the coating deteriorate less and and maybe perhaps not strip as easily as it might on the black?

Really appreciate the help.

Excellent question. I was wondering the same.

I have noted that on my black X-T1 (which I bought used but haven't had more than a few months) the texturing on the rubber at the "thumb bump" on the back has rubbed off completely. I am a bit concerned that the finish of the camera (at least that rubber coating) isn't going to hold up over real time.

After much consideration, I pulled the trigger on the black X-T1. With the 18–135 lens the price difference is $500 (Amazon US). That can easily be put into another lens (10-24). Ultimately, the pictures that you make triumph what the camera physically looks like.

I feel like Fuji can easily have made them the same price as they did with the XT-10.

On the X-E cameras my research indicated that the "true" underlying color was the silver/chrome version, while the black version was "painted" on (I realize it's not paint, but something much more appropriate). The effect was that people with the black one experienced various kinds of scraping/flaking of the black color (especially on the shutter button, probably because it's plastic), while the silver cameras just scratched/dented. I couldn't decide which I liked better aesthetically, but that was enough to put me over the edge and choose the silver one. 

With the X-T1 the principle is reversed. The true underlying color is black and the graphite silver is a coating on top of it. Now of course it's a much fancier coating, even further removed from "paint" and the marketing would have you believe it's even stronger than what makes up the black one, so it's probably not the same situation at the end of the day (though maybe it still hasn't been out long enough to know what the "patina" will look like on the graphite silver X-T1). 

Personally I hate the muted chrome of the graphite silver, much preferring the bright brushed steel of the X-E/X-T10. Obviously that's a matter of taste, but I find it interesting how different my reaction is to the two. If I was getting an X-T1 I'd definitely get the black, especially because it's cheaper (I agree with you it was a dumb move from Fuji, have just one color or charge the same for both!)

Finally consider how people will interpret your camera. I expected people to think my silver X-E1 was "neat" and call me a hipster, but I didn't realize how disarming it would be. People don't seem nearly as threatened as they are by a black camera, and their false assessment that it's a film camera further works in my favor when taking pictures of people nervous about cameras.

At this point even if I didn't like the silver color I'd be tempted to get it just for the social value. Then again I'm not a pro and I don't worry about people "taking me seriously" which might be easier if I had a black one and had to deal with idiots on a professional level ;)

Finally consider how people will interpret your camera. I expected people to think my silver X-E1 was "neat" and call me a hipster, but I didn't realize how disarming it would be. People don't seem nearly as threatened as they are by a black camera, and their false assessment that it's a film camera further works in my favor when taking pictures of people nervous about cameras.

At this point even if I didn't like the silver color I'd be tempted to get it just for the social value. Then again I'm not a pro and I don't worry about people "taking me seriously" which might be easier if I had a black one and had to deal with idiots on a professional level ;)

This is why I'd definitely get the silver for a second body. I love the X-T1 with the battery grip, but sometimes it's a little too bulky and/or noticeable, so I take it off. I'd go with the GS model for my second purely because I can leave the black one gripped for more serious stuff, and potentially pass the GS as a hipster film camera when I'm out and about, and draw even less attention to myself.

I think the GS looks cheaper from the back, with the grey plastic buttons and such, but I think it looks great from the front.

I personally chose the black. The silver looks very lux and attractive but if you like to photograph in the city at night and or in dodgy neighborhoods, very poor rural areas around the world, then the black is super incognito while I think the silver draws a lot of attention (cause it looks soo good). Just my thoughts..

I have the graphite but I WOULD have chosen the black... my local dealer only had the graphite when I decided to grab one.  Was going to wait for the black but he dropped the price a little so I couldn't pass it up.

Picking up the X-T10 as my second and will most likely be getting the black.

I prefer the black version because all Fuji lenses are black (except the crappiest XC series). I don't like totally black lenses on silver cameras. Also I like silver cameras more than GS ones. As a bonus black version is cheaper.

Nevertheless I definitely prefer the silver versions of the X100 series. X100s is my camera all people mistake with the film one opposed to X-T1.

I rarely shoot secretly. And if I do even the real film camera (nikon FE) is not a rescue as people in charge still ask me what am I shooting. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the black one since I preordered it and the graphite one was not yet announced. I had the silver X-E1 and have the silver X-100T. I agree with the comments about the silver one being less scary to people as they act more comfortable around it. That aside, I'd probably go with silver or graphite on the next one I buy for another reason. Summers in central Florida are very hot and the sun is intense. The silver definitely stays cooler when out during the day.