Have you found that you can use Capture One exclusively without either PS or LR?

Affinity Photo looks good from the video presentation, what the learning curve would be like is another thing. I depends on how you use the software to edit your images, at the moment Photoshop is the only software that does what I want it to do, I selectively target an area in Levels adjustments and work from there sometimes creating around 60 layers depending on the image and how much detail/information there is in it. I will download Affinity Photo to see how it goes. Only by trying will you know if it is any good for the way you work/edit. Silkypix works very well with Fuji files and colour modes, it is just too clunky on a Mac but is OK on a PC.

I'm seriously considering the switch from LR to C1. Wish there was a way to reduce cost and ditch Adobe.

Setting the DAM issue aside which for some is a big issue. C1's image processing capability exceeds LR's and so to answer your title question; for the most part yes unless I need to do some cloning or very detailed masking. Most photos then are opened in C1 and processed in C1 to completion. I do not require LR's DAM functions and so LR is completely replaced by C1.

That leaves the cloning and detailed masking for the occasional photo which Affinity Photo handles with ease and grace: Adobe free.

Over time the C1/Affinity combo is considerably less expensive than the Adobe monthly fee.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded Affinity Photo and ended up buying it, it has so many great features, one is the blending of two exposures, very successful on an Astro image, one for the sky and one for the foregound. I have yet to find out how to do the selective masking that I do in Photoshop, but replacing Lightroom it certainly does!

Setting the DAM issue aside which for some is a big issue. C1's image processing capability exceeds LR's and so to answer your title question; for the most part yes unless I need to do some cloning or very detailed masking. Most photos then are opened in C1 and processed in C1 to completion. I do not require LR's DAM functions and so LR is completely replaced by C1.

That leaves the cloning and detailed masking for the occasional photo which Affinity Photo handles with ease and grace: Adobe free.

Over time the C1/Affinity combo is considerably less expensive than the Adobe monthly fee.

I almost never use Photoshop, and I use the free Gimp software instead. I agree the IQ in Capture One is just far better than Lightroom, at least for me. Still learning Capture One, there's a lot in it! So, when my subscription expires next month, it's bye-bye Adobe for me too.

And I use Sessions rather than the catalog. I never used the catalog in Lighroom, and sessions are a great way to work.

Edited by Mike-Photos

• 3 months later...

I do very minimal processing of my photos aside from RAW and then converting to black and white. I've been using Adobe for my RAW conversions with Silver Efex for B&W. I haven't really been happy with other options for my B&W work, but I did really like Capture One in this regard when I tried it recently.

My only problem is that Capture One seems to demand far more system resources than Adobe applications. That's not an issue on my 15" MacBook Pro, but I travel a lot and when I'm on the road I use a 2017 12-inch MacBook. I did max out the processor and RAM in the MacBook, but it still runs very hot when using Capture One and stays fairly cool in Adobe apps. It runs well without lag, but it still concerns me.

Has anyone else noticed a big difference in processor demands between Capture One and Adobe? 

• 2 weeks later...

I do very minimal processing of my photos aside from RAW and then converting to black and white. I've been using Adobe for my RAW conversions with Silver Efex for B&W. I haven't really been happy with other options for my B&W work, but I did really like Capture One in this regard when I tried it recently.

My only problem is that Capture One seems to demand far more system resources than Adobe applications. That's not an issue on my 15" MacBook Pro, but I travel a lot and when I'm on the road I use a 2017 12-inch MacBook. I did max out the processor and RAM in the MacBook, but it still runs very hot when using Capture One and stays fairly cool in Adobe apps. It runs well without lag, but it still concerns me.

Has anyone else noticed a big difference in processor demands between Capture One and Adobe? 

No, but not sure how much stress you're putting on the system. I'm just a weekend warrior who processes just a handful of images per week. C1 only slows down when I use a large-size TIFF (over 100mb). Otherwise it's just as peppy as with LR.