What books are you / have you read?

OliverN

I was just wondering what books (if any) other Fujifilm X series users are, or have read. Right now I'm re-reading "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, if you havent read it I highly recommend it. So what are you guys reading? or are there any books that you would recommend? 

Henri Cartier-Bresson - Europeans

Silver Gelatin: A User's Guide to Liquid Photographic Emulsions by Martin Reed, Sarah Jones

two of the photography books i've recently read                             

When you finish reading Understanding Exposure go back through and, with help if necessary, get straightened out on all the major errors in the book -- there's a lot. A good place to start would be with "exposure" as the author doesn't seem to understand what constitutes photographic exposure.

OK, sorry for the sarcasm I'm on my 2nd glass of wine: That's a bad book. It's loaded with fundamental mistakes and will serve to confuse you for a long time to come.

When you finish reading Understanding Exposure go back through and, with help if necessary, get straightened out on all the major errors in the book -- there's a lot. A good place to start would be with "exposure" as the author doesn't seem to understand what constitutes photographic exposure.

OK, sorry for the sarcasm I'm on my 2nd glass of wine: That's a bad book. It's loaded with fundamental mistakes and will serve to confuse you for a long time to come.

Yeah the only reason I bought "Understanding Exposure" is because I'd read from many people online, and heard through some photographers interviews, that it as basically the best photography book. That is wasnt just about Exposure, people made it sound like a must have book for any photographer, even professionals. What I've read so far I already know, and what I've skimmed through and havent read completely just seems like every other book thats written about digital photography. 

I do not know where you live; go to a museum to see paintings or sculptures. 

Do not buy new books; they are full of rubbish Get some 40 or 50 year old books.

Photo course : Famous Photographers School.

Any old book printed in Germany or in the UK will do.

I live in Tyler, TX. Yeah I've basically gained the impression that most new books, especially about digital photography, are essentially the same. They are just through a different photographers perspective / experience. That's just my opinion though. The internet has tons of free e-books I can read on my tablet or phone. I do wanna check out some of the older books though, I'll have to pay a visit to the Library here. Which now that I look at the library on google maps, there is an interesting shot I wanna get in that area also :)

Yeah the only reason I bought "Understanding Exposure" is because I'd read from many people online, and heard through some photographers interviews, that it as basically the best photography book. That is wasnt just about Exposure, people made it sound like a must have book for any photographer, even professionals. What I've read so far I already know, and what I've skimmed through and havent read completely just seems like every other book thats written about digital photography. 

If what you've read so far and already know agrees with what's in that book then there's a good chance what you already know ain't so. For example what are the determinant factors for exposure. That book has it wrong.

Edited by graflex

If what you've read so far and already know agrees with what's in that book then there's a good chance what you already know ain't so. For example what are the determinant factors for exposure. That book has it wrong.

i meant more in general about what I already know. Not exactly as he describes it. For example transformation of exposure variables, correlation of predictor variables, and interpretation of results. I'm not reading this book and saying to myself "oh okay so this is how it is done". It's just a book, written by one photographer and his methods and experiences with exposure. Basically I'll still read the book, but I am not changing my techniques based on a page about whatever he's writing. It's always nice to see how others approach things, so I'll get my moneys worth and finish the book.

Edited by OliverN

• 4 weeks later...

I'm always reading several books - history, science, biography, current politics, mysteries - as well as books of photographs and on photography. A photography monograph I've been spending a lot of time with the past several months is "Modern Color" by Canadian photographer Fred Herzog, a master of 35mm street color.