Discussion: X-T2 or X-T20 + extra lens.

OliverN

I just wanted to ask a question, and I know there are other factors that play into the question like weather sealing, what you shoot, etc. But if you had a choice between the X-T2 18-55mm f2.8 kit by itself, or the X-T20 18-55mm F2.8 kit + an additional X series lens that cost less than $900ish, which would you choose and why? I apologize if this topic has been done already, or seems to lack information.

Guest mikEm13

If it was me I would first find out what body is more comfortable to use. You are looking at two very different body sizes and that changes button placement also. As far as the 18-55mm lens you can't go wrong with buying it. 

I think both cameras are very similar and you would get same IQ in most of the situations. I would suggest you check what are the differences in terms of features between both. If you are sure you will never need / miss any of them, then go with T20. If however you are not sure and you think what T2 offers over T20 is valuable and nice to have down the road then you should go with T2. If you are starting with the Fuji ecosystem, over time you will be investing in lenses anyway. However, if you have no short term plans to buy a second body, you will be "stuck" with whatever you buy first. At least for a while.

That is what I would do.

A month ago I went with T2 kit (+ XF 18-55). Like Elisha I try to spend as much as I can, for what I would need to start, in the beginning. I added XF 55-200 and battery grip.

Good luck :)

Edited by etomcat

You should be choosing your camera body independently of 'the deal' you may be able to enjoy.

Which camera would you rather own?

Lenses, you'll find you acquire them here and there as you continue with your hobby.

I just got the X-T2 18-55 kit from B&H about a week ago. I just wanted to know what other people wouldve chosen, because I admit I had thought of the other option. But seeing as I plan on using this camera as a primary, I know I made the right choice. I'm just inpatient in general, and especially when it comes to getting other gear for my setup. I'm planning on getting some extra batteries and the grip, a couple more quick 128gb+ cards, and then I'll worry about glass. Seeing as how buying just the XT2 18-55 kit completely drained my budget. I've had  PS+LR, a bag, tripod, etc.

I just got the X-T2 18-55 kit from B&H about a week ago. I just wanted to know what other people wouldve chosen, because I admit I had thought of the other option. But seeing as I plan on using this camera as a primary, I know I made the right choice. I'm just inpatient in general, and especially when it comes to getting other gear for my setup. I'm planning on getting some extra batteries and the grip, a couple more quick 128gb+ cards, and then I'll worry about glass. Seeing as how buying just the XT2 18-55 kit completely drained my budget. I've had PS+LR, a bag, tripod, etc.

Enjoy the X-T2. I wouldn't recommend such big capacity cards. Makes you lazy on backup. And if it fails, you lose everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

This is maybe not going to help, but in your position I would have

Bought the XT-20 and 18-55 plus another lens. The XT-20 unless you are doing video or sports is going to be more than enough camera, the WR is overstated I had an X-E2 and as long as you are sensible in the rain and own a plastic bag or two you will be fine. A second lens, especially a prime or two is going to make a huge difference to your experience and enjoyment way more than a few extra body features. In addition in a years time the S/H price of the X-T2 will drop and you will probably be able to swap the bodies when you have saved more cash. Bodies are boring, the lenses are where its at.

I had a similar choice as you when starting out, I could get the X-E2 plus 18-55/35/55-200 or the X-T1 and 18-55/35mm I went with the X-E2 and 3 lenses a year down the line I got an Amazon warehouse deal on an X-T1 and sold my X-E2

Bodies lose value lenses don't as quickly and you will get more use out of them. I still have the 35mm and 18-55mm both great lenses. 

Oh and furthermore if I were in your position unless you really really need 4k the X-T1 is still a fantastic camera and dirt cheap at the moment, i just saw one on EBay going for £250 uk that is insane, you could pick up 3 lenses and have an amazing kit with that and grab an X-T2 in a year or so when the price has dropped if you even want to.

I still prefer the look of the files out of the X-T1 generation sensors for portrait and street, the X-T2 additional resolution sometimes feels to clinical and the 16mp had something almost filmlike about its rendering of noise that is not quite the same in the X-T2 not saying X-T2 is bad, but I just finished editing a 3 week trip to Canada last year on the X-T1 and was blown away with how great the sensor on that thing is.