X-T1 FW 4.0 BETA: I have it and share my findings soon ;)

It is really interesting how some people "know" that this is the final version, although Fuji UK already said that the leaked version is a beta version:

https://twitter.com/Fujifilm_UK/status/611479312605310976 :rolleyes:

Much luck with updating to the 4.0 release when your camera tells you that there is no newer version on the SC card!

I happen to guess that if Fujifilm UK cares that much about their customers, they should make the 4.0 release to work after this "evil beta", just to heal their customer's foolness

It is really interesting how some people "know" that this is the final version, although Fuji UK already said that the leaked version is a beta version:

Much luck with updating to the 4.0 release when your camera tells you that there is no newer version on the SC card!

Do you really think Fuji UK would have said something else?

That they would encourage you to download it?

Its not official, so of course this is their message and official response.

The only response Fuji can give is telling people its still beta, even though they know its a big lie.

One week before official launch and still 'beta' is very unlikely.

Especially knowing that reviewers, bloggers, and special photographers with some influence get these kind of releases plenty of time before the official launch so they can prepare their articles for online publication...

Somebody spoiled the Fuji party and they are not pleased with it.

I liked the 18-135 and obviously 35 after the update.  However, I was disappointed with my 56/1.2 after work today trying to follow my 3-year-old on a playground.  I got very little in focus despite trying every single mode and zone and wide focusing.   The camera struggled just as it did with old firmware.   I am going to try the 35 in the next few days in the same scenario.   But shooting today with 56 reminded me again why I keep my DSLR sadly.  

Do you know the person who uploaded the original firmware to dropbox? 

I guess not! So nobody knows which version this is of the firmware. It could be even the first beta out of who knows how many they made!

I have no time to test it this week so I rather wait a few more days to make sure I really got the final version  :)

One week before official launch and still 'beta' is very unlikely.

Especially knowing that reviewers, bloggers, and special photographers with some influence get these kind of releases plenty of time before the official launch so they can prepare their articles for online publication...

The reviewers, bloggers and special photographers also tested the X-T10 with a preview version (of the firmware).

As long as the firmware has no major bugs, you won't even notice that it is not the final version.

It seems you have no clue about software development.

Even if it is the latest beta / latest RC and there are no more changes from that point, it is not the RTM build.

And since I believe the Fuji devs are no idiots, they will exactly do that: tag the code as final at certain date and then build the RTM version.

And when Rico said that the feedback deadline was yesterday, it cannot be the final build.

You know, I don't care what you install on your camera, but don't cry afterwards that the Fuji support charges you for putting the final version on your camera. ;)

Those claiming big dangers on evil betas will reaming silent as death in seven days.

Please fuji folks, accept your plans has been spoiled and do not fool your customers. 

Those kind of lies are also part of the customer's communication, and we do not use to like them.

And if for any chance should I be wrong, I won't swallow my words, it's as simple as waiting for v.4.1 ...... and this is indeed a pretty NICE beta :P , I guess, the best ever built beta in software developing History

Those claiming big dangers on evil betas will reaming silent as death in seven days.

Quite a few of the forum members will get a huge traffic to their blogs when they post a side by side comparison of the leaked RC/beta and a final version. Many people have more than one X-T1 body, you know…

Another nerdy fun thing to do would be a comparison of the actual disassembled code. I know for sure that a few members are familiar with IDA and the low level debugging.

So you have a debugging interface for your camera and can unit test every function?

It was you the first to claim this is a beta, so.... do you have it? can you show us your top notch technology review about it?

And frankly, I do not need to test EVERY function, I just live.... you know, carpe diem  ;)

I've send a email to Fuji about the leaked firmware and just recieven a answer from Fuji Europe by email

Hello Mr. van der Meulen,

Version 4 is not officially available, any kind of „leaked“ firmware might cause a problem at your camera which is not covered by the warranty.

We cannot guaranty that the official Firmware can be used again, once a Version 4 is already installed.

We recommend to not install any kind of unofficial firmware.

Kind regards/ Mit freundlichen Grüßen

i.A. Torben Hondong

Ihr FUJIFILM Service Team

phone: 00800 3854 3854

fax: +49 2821 7115 111

email: SERVICE@FUJIFILM-DIGITAL.COM

FUJIFILM Electronic Imaging Europe GmbH

Fujistraße 1

47533 Kleve, Deutschland

http://www.fujifilm.eu

Registergericht: AG Kleve, HRB 1684

Geschäftsführer: Christopher Brawley, Adrian Clarke, Toshihisa Iida, Shigekazu Matsuki

And,

the update is expected to end next week

Ihr Fujifilm Serviceteam

i.A. Rita Behrens

Fujistraße 1

47533 Kleve

Phone: 0080038543854

Fax: 02821-7115111

e-mail: service@fujifilm-digital.com

www.fujifilm-digital.de

www.fujifilm-shop.de

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/FujifilmCamerasDe

Registergericht: Geschäftsführer:

AG Kleve HRB 1684 Christopher Brawley, Adrian Clarke, Toshihisa Iida, Shigekazu Matsuki

This message, together with any attachments, contains FUJIFILM's confidential and and/or proprietary information. The addressed individual or entity is obligated to treat it in accordance with a confidentiality agreement with FUJIFILM. Any unauthorized forwarding , copying, dissemination, distribution, quotation or any other unauthorized use of this message or any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the original sender immediately by return E-mail and delete this message, along with any attachments, from your computer. Thank you.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Roland van der Meulen [mailto:rjmvandermeulen@icloud.com]

Gesendet: Freitag, 19. Juni 2015 10:29

An: X_service_digi

Betreff: Firmware 4.0

The 4.0 firmware for the X-T1 has been leaked and is available on several forums. When is the official release?

I've send a email to Fuji about the leaked firmware and just recieven a answer from Fuji Europe by email

Hello Mr. van der Meulen,

Version 4 is not officially available, any kind of „leaked“ firmware might cause a problem at your camera which is not covered by the warranty.

We cannot guaranty that the official Firmware can be used again, once a Version 4 is already installed.

We recommend to not install any kind of unofficial firmware.

i.A. Torben Hondong

Ihr FUJIFILM Service Team

phone: 00800 3854 3854

fax: +49 2821 7115 111

email: SERVICE@FUJIFILM-DIGITAL.COM

Fujistraße 1

47533 Kleve, Deutschland

http://www.fujifilm.eu

Registergericht: AG Kleve, HRB 1684

Geschäftsführer: Christopher Brawley, Adrian Clarke, Toshihisa Iida, Shigekazu Matsuki

And,

the update is expected to end next week

Ihr Fujifilm Serviceteam

i.A. Rita Behrens

Fujistraße 1

47533 Kleve

Phone: 0080038543854

Fax: 02821-7115111

e-mail: service@fujifilm-digital.com

www.fujifilm-digital.de

www.fujifilm-shop.de

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/FujifilmCamerasDe

Registergericht: Geschäftsführer:

AG Kleve HRB 1684 Christopher Brawley, Adrian Clarke, Toshihisa Iida, Shigekazu Matsuki

This message, together with any attachments, contains FUJIFILM's confidential and and/or proprietary information. The addressed individual or entity is obligated to treat it in accordance with a confidentiality agreement with FUJIFILM. Any unauthorized forwarding , copying, dissemination, distribution, quotation or any other unauthorized use of this message or any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the original sender immediately by return E-mail and delete this message, along with any attachments, from your computer. Thank you.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Roland van der Meulen [mailto:rjmvandermeulen@icloud.com]

Gesendet: Freitag, 19. Juni 2015 10:29

An: X_service_digi

Betreff: Firmware 4.0

The 4.0 firmware for the X-T1 has been leaked and is available on several forums. When is the official release?

Mein liebe Herr Torben Hondong,

Why then can be a "version 4.0" be already installed in my camera?

If this is a beta version, shouldn't it be tagged clearly as a beta version, to advise the user from an unwanted installation?

If this is, as it seems, the final version, why all this misinformation? 

mit herzlichen grüßen

If this is a beta version, shouldn't it be tagged clearly as a beta version, to advise the user from an unwanted installation?

That's rarely the case, only in very early betas. I remember using 3 different T10 firmware versions with internal version numbers showing on the outside and at least 2 later ones with 1.00 showing up. I reckon that the internal 1.36 version eventually became the 1.00 version in the first batch of production models. 

Of course, I usually know the internal number and usually have read a document stating bugs and omissions (and improvements over the last version). I also have methods/software to wipe cameras clean so that I can reinstall ANY firmware version when the camera wouldn't let me install the final firmware (it sometimes happens).

For the evaluation version of F4 that I have been using since early June, the document clearly stated that it would display 4.00 even though it isn't the final version. 

Then again, what do I know, you made it clear in your posts that you know more about Fuji's firmware than I or Fujifilm. So I'm sure that you are right, I have no clue and Fuji is lying (as usual).

Hmmmm....I can see a potential problem when the official firmware is released. I don't think Fujifilm is prepared for angry forum members not being able to install it because of the leaked beta....

Honestly, why would they even care? They stated that installing the pre-release version is not recommended and at your own risk.

Now, I am personally taking this risk every day, as I am taking more pictures with pre-release hardware and software than with production samples. I don't have sleepless nights about it, because I know that in case a camera or lens is fried, Fuji will replace the hardware and send the broken products to Tokyo for analysis. This happens, I still remember my first case before the X-Pro1 was announced at CES, when a new lens firmware for pre-production 18/35/60mm lenses fried many of them beyond repair. In the internal document for the firmware, Fuji forgot to mention which PP serial numbers the firmware was suitable for (and which not). So yes, even the serial number and production date of your camera and lens can make a difference, that's why pre-release testing is not public.

After user complaints about bugs in new firmware releases, this was the first time Fuji decided to hand-out a pre-release version of a firmware update to selected photographers in order to collect feedback (in a 2 week long period), then take another week to apply any fixes based on this feedback.

Before this, Fuji simply released software that was only tested within Fuji (and maybe a few trusted "buddies" like Zack Arias). I recommended a change of this restrictive policy, because it sounded reasonable to beta-test pre-release firmware in the field for a few weeks. Fuji listened, but I'm not sure if they will ever repeat this "experiment" after what has happened here.

I was worried about this.. so I tried and update my 3.1 to the same 3.1 that was left on my card from when it was released.. and it updated.. same firmware as before.. So if this beta is a beta or final.. I should still be able to update.. Plus I doubt they would make it hard for their beta testers to update to the final when it gets released.

Plus I doubt they would make it hard for their beta testers to update to the final when it gets released.

Sadly, I have lost plenty of time wiping cameras totally clean to make them accept production firmware. Hopefully, I won't have to do it next week when I want to install the release version of F4 over my pre-release. As of now, there are mixed messages from Tokyo, maybe it depends on which version was leaked. They certainly didn't expect this to happen, so who knows what happens now? Hopefully nothing.

Of course Fuji could in theory release a F4 that installs over everything, but they wouldn't do that, because that very F4 release would then also install over F4.1, F5 etc. That's not helpful, because there are plenty of folks out there who need all the help they can get to update their cameras. Safety features are part of the release firmware process. Such a "special" firmware would also have to erase all settings, so you have to start from scratch, selecting the language and setting the system time.

After all, there's a reason why rollbacks aren't allowed (at least not w/o blanking the entire camera memory): They could interfere with feature settings from a newer firmware that was on the camera earlier. It could basically fry the camera or introduce weird behavior, as camera registers are used in different ways.