X-T1 FW 4.0 BETA: I have it and share my findings soon ;)

The people that had put real effort into developing the software (Fuji) have not yet told me I can have it. Therefore, in my mind, if I took it, I would be stealing. I was raised to believe that stealing is wrong. To me, the risk is irrelevant.

You'll get it for free, so what's to steal?

This firmware thing can be better compared to a mum whom put the candy's in the cupboard but had forgotten to close the door.

You just happen to have seen that and took them a little early to eat. Mum should just have been a little more careful.

The people that had put real effort into developing the software (Fuji) have not yet told me I can have it. Therefore, in my mind, if I took it, I would be stealing. I was raised to believe that stealing is wrong. To me, the risk is irrelevant.

I think you paid for that "effort into developing the software" when you bought the XT1.   The idea that you are stealing something that you paid for by buying the camera and from that point forward is always free and always will be free is perhaps a step beyond idealistic.   Maybe similar to paying for 2 day shipping and accepting the package in 1 day instead of telling them to bring it back tomorrow.

You'll get it for free, so what's to steal?

Stealing is just taking something that isn't yours. If Fuji hasn't said "you can have this", then it isn't mine. It doesn't matter if tomorrow they say I can have it. It doesn't matter if it is going to be free - it isn't mine now so I feel that I should not have it.

If I go to the local grocer every day. And once a year he gives me an apple. Can I just go ahead and take an apple today because he has always given me one next week? I think that if I take something without it being given to me then I have stolen it.

But, this is kind of irrelevant, I was just trying to point out that "high risk" is not the only reason people haven't installed the leaked firmware - it is also because some of us (maybe just me) think it is wrong. 

I think you paid for that "effort into developing the software" when you bought the XT1.

I don't believe I recall Fuji ever making such a commitment - I believe this is an assumed entitlement. I would imagine that Fuji does build some of this cost into the price of the camera - just as car manufacturers likely build in the cost of future potential recalls - but I don't recall them ever promising me anything when I purchased the camera beyond "it will not be broken."

I would guess that a high number of the early installers aren't obsessing over using the new firmware and aren't desperate for Fuji to give them more and more but instead either work in technology or have grown up in the modern era of technology and are comfortable assessing the risk of using the leaked firmware.    So it isn't that the early installers are so impatient that they couldn't wait and are willing to take unreasonable risks in the process, it is that they better understand that the actual risk is very low.    Most of those that are waiting are doing so simply because they perceive the risk to be greater than it is.

You start off saying you are guessing and ending up declaring something you simply don't know to be a fact...

Fuji is doing a remarkable thing, especially in this day and age, to improve its cameras beyond what the user paid for or expected. The silly arguments over whether the leaked firmware is or is not final are childish at best. People took the risk, however large or small, to install unknown firmware. Fuji and its reps have said it isn't the final version, why argue with them. Bottom line is, whether any line of code changes or not, until Fuji says it is final, it isn't.

Enjoy the features the new firmware brings and please quit arguing whether it's final or not. It isn't. Plain and simple. Until Fuji releases it officially, this one isn't (doesn't mean anything at all will change with the official version).

Now, can we please keep discussing the performance improvements ...

Stealing is just taking something that isn't yours. If Fuji hasn't said "you can have this", then it isn't mine. It doesn't matter if tomorrow they say I can have it. It doesn't matter if it is going to be free - it isn't mine now so I feel that I should not have it.

If I go to the local grocer every day. And once a year he gives me an apple. Can I just go ahead and take an apple today because he has always given me one next week? I think that if I take something without it being given to me then I have stolen it.

But, this is kind of irrelevant, I was just trying to point out that "high risk" is not the only reason people haven't installed the leaked firmware - it is also because some of us (maybe just me) think it is wrong. 

If I am in the middle of cooking a meal, and someone walks by and grabs a bite, I find it disrespectful. 

In this case, it is especially because I am receiving something for free that I prefer to consider the wishes of who is giving it to me. 

But hey, modern life is such that grabbing whatever one can and indulging the whim of the moment is pretty much the highest aspiration. I understand I'm in a tiny minority. 

I don't believe I recall Fuji ever making such a commitment - I believe this is an assumed entitlement. I would imagine that Fuji does build some of this cost into the price of the camera - just as car manufacturers likely build in the cost of future potential recalls - but I don't recall them ever promising me anything when I purchased the camera beyond "it will not be broken."

They have already "promised" you the 4.0 firmware as it is plainly printed clearly on their website right now.  

I CALL TIMEOUT (can I do that?)  :P

How's about we switch gears from philosophy to photography:  Has anybody capture an image that they felt would have been extremely difficult or next-to-impossible prior to the 4.0 "beta" update? That would be a great topic of discussion for this thread...after all, isn't that why Fuji keeps improving their X system, to help us get the shot?

PS. Happy Father's Day to all the pops out there!  :D

Announcing  the release of a freebie firmware update has nothing to do with the promise of continuous a lifelong and imperiture updating which some folks are now unreasonably expecting for all models simply because it could theoretically be done ( and they want it even if it cannot be done as in the X pro 1 and X-E1!)

At some point all models need being surpassed by a newer model, this is as true of a camera as it is of a car.

You might very well chose not to update the camera but to expect that Fuji will squeeze new firmware for years and years out of the money that you’ve paid only once is a foolish idea.

I am not waiting because I am scared that my camera will explode. It won’t!

But I don’t see any problem in doing so. The camera that I bought works just fine as it was meant to, when there will be a new firmware I will install it. 

One day there won’t be a new firmware but a newer model.

So be it.

I've often read the criticism (not to which, I agree) that if Fuji would just make their cameras with all of these features in them in the first place instead of "half-baked", then we wouldn't need all of these multiple firmware updates.

I can see that side of the argument, but I'm very pleased as to what Fuji ALREADY puts out originally. To me the FW updates are simply a surprise bonus. What say you guys?

But is this a bug:  with focus mode zone or wide and face detect on it is not possible to move the default AF position.  In v3.10 Fuji added feature where FD focused on preselected single AF point if a face could not be detected.

It works fine on my Beta 4.0

No problem, I'm sure you wanted the best for the community - thanks for that!

Sorry if I'm a little bit paranoid, but I'd like to avoid a shitstorm „Fuji X Forum spreads virus“ ;)

Andreas

Very well done!

No need to haste into unknown territory especially because, since internet has little to nothing that is really “ free” anymore, viruses affecting a device which dialogues with your phone or other devices ha potential major implications.

Better safe than sorry is the word.

I've often read the criticism (not to which, I agree) that if Fuji would just make their cameras with all of these features in them in the first place instead of "half-baked", then we wouldn't need all of these multiple firmware updates.

I can see that side of the argument, but I'm very pleased as to what Fuji ALREADY puts out originally. To me the FW updates are simply a surprise bonus. What say you guys?

Surprise Bonus!

If they hung on to every camera because they had an idea that a new feature may work but needed developing first, they'd never release any camera's. As long as the new camera's have sufficient upgrades to them to warrant being a "New Camera" then great. Depending on the target audience, I'd expect a new release between 1 - 3 years (consumer being 1 & Pro being 3). 

I'd love to see Fuji release a high resolution studio version of an X-T1, one that doesn't need to perform at high ISO but gives you 36mp with solid image performance between 200 & 1600 ISO. Then I could have one for low light work and the other for studio. Dreaming I know!

I had very little keepers last night with 56/1.2 trying to track my 3 year old running unpredictably around a playground.  

FYI: the camera does not focus between each shot, if you have MS+ES (electronic Shutter) enabled. With mechanical shutter only, I had very pleasing results tracking my crazy dog

Tracking my Dog

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

FYI: the camera does not focus between each shot, if you have MS+ES (electronic Shutter) enabled. With mechanical shutter only, I had very pleasing results tracking my crazy dog

That's good to know... with ES I did not get a good result either...will try with mechanical now :)

Thanks

A French FujiRumors readers spotted the Firmware 4.0 file on Facebook... and for the sake of science, I decided to update My Own X-T1 with Firmware 4.0 and test if it works :)

It's really late at night here, and I will do proper testings tomorrow (sometimes even FujiRumors has to sleep). But it's pretty nice to see how well it tracks my dog ;).

I'll share my findings about the FW in the next days in this thread... stay tuned :)

Although the file is circulating on facebook, I decided to remove it, since it's not the final version.Any

Any chance to have a link to download it ??

Thx

bob