X-T1 FW 4.0 BETA: I have it and share my findings soon ;)

Anyone who has used the 4.0 update notice any sort of improvement on the general single AF? That's the AF that I use most. I'm curious about the others, but does the update improve the general speed of the AF for typical shot-to-shot use?

Yes. But only in the center 3x3 points does there seem to be faster focus lock. Focus accuracy on the other hand seems much better on any af points.

F4 had to be announced before the X-T10 to avoid a shitstorm of epic proportions. Fuji knows very well that many of their customers are quite unreasonable and complain about everything, not only the what, but also the when. Whatever they do or don't do, it's always wrong. Just think about the endless complaints about the "missing" X-E2 update, or the X100S firmware update whining.

I find this fact quite sad really. They are producing fantastic kit and should be praised, respected and feel good about what they do. Instead, it sounds like they are treading on eggshells worrying about how a large bunch of over demanding customers will react like. Some of them remind me of you spoilt brats that got everything they asked for from their parents and if they didn't get it, they'd scream and scream and scream until they were sick  :P

The self-entitled brigade do tend to wind me up a little  :ph34r:  ;)

I updated the 'new' firmware, new af is cool, but my metering mode dial doesen't seem to work anymore now  :blink: 

Anybody with the same problem ?

edit : Well re-initialised all the settings and it's back  :o

This is actually good example why beta testing belongs in the hands of experienced, selected users—who don't switch-on face detection and then report a "non-working metering mode dial" as a firmware-related problem. ;)

This is actually good example why beta testing belongs in the hands of experienced, selected users—who don't switch-on face detection and then report a "non-working metering mode dial" as a firmware-related problem. ;)

A good example of what?  Reporting to a forum just like hundreds of people do every day with official firmware?   These people aren't part of a user group reporting their findings to Fuji.   The only thing an inaccurate report of a bug will do at this point is give some ammunition to those that desperately want to turn this whole leaked firmware thing into something dramatic because otherwise there just isn't any real drama to report.   But there seems to be plenty of made up drama from user error to your camera might blow up or Fuji might put you into leaked firmware prison or you'll never be able to use your camera again and I'm sure I missed a few others.

A good example of what?  Reporting to a forum just like hundreds of people do every day with official firmware?

I am not aware of 100s of daily reports in forums that are blaming user error to official firmware bugs.

Actually, I'd have a very hard time finding a handful. Which isn't surprising, because with official firmware, most users are looking at themselves, like: "What have I missed? Did I press the wrong button? Did I misconfigure the camera?" Which are all the right questions in 90%+ of all cases, and others usually provide respective answers. However, with beta firmware, it has to be a bug in the firmware. What else?

I am not aware of 100s of daily reports in forums that are blaming user error to official firmware bugs.

Actually, I'd have a very hard time finding a handful. Which isn't surprising, because with official firmware, most users are looking at themselves, like: "What have I missed? Did I press the wrong button? Did I misconfigure the camera?" Which are all the right questions in 90%+ of all cases, and others usually provide respective answers. However, with beta firmware, it has to be a bug in the firmware. What else?

I don't know why it matters whether or not you are aware but if you can't find users that just installed a new version of firmware blaming the firmware before themselves then you are seriously Google challenged.   Me thinks someone is making stuff up as they go along.   

From what I remember the fw came from the french Fuji site via their Facebook page. Do you really think it is a beta one week before the actual launch??? And again my point is that it was already announced for June 18 which is the date when the fw was 'leaked' by mistake. This is the real thing releaaed in error by Fuji.

I cant wait for the official release for the XT1 however I don't want to risk installing the Beta then cant in stall the offiocial etc etc. Question : I also own an x100T will they release updated firmware too so that some of the new features especial focusing can be incorporated? If anyone knows that would be great. 

Actually, my X-E1 never froze. Did yours? 

From my 2 years experience with Fuji, X-Pro1, X-E1 & now a couple of T1's, I've never had a problem that that was connected to suspect FW. That is, a bug and not something that was working as intended but didn't like.

I guess there will have been the odd bug or two but probably so insignificant I never noticed them.

All of this reminds me the Queen’s song. :)

“ I want it all! I want it all and I want it now!" :lol:

I understand that, at least for some folks here, the anticipation of the new firmware update is burning the candle of their patience at both ends, but waiting shouldn’t be all that difficult! After all we all bought a great camera without all the new things and gladly used it for some time , so what’s the problem in waiting a few days more? Just use the camera as you always did and be happy!

There will be plenty of bugs to talk about after the official release so why wasting time on a pre-release version containing the theoretical possibility that if something malfunctions your guarantee might not be honored?

On the subject of the “ I want it all” part of the song, which refers to the fact that as soon as Fuji announced the upgrade for later models, some owners of the X-E2  immediately started wailing but some even felt they could reasonably find reasons to be hostile towards their previously beloved Fuji, menacing to immediately part with their camera if they hadn’t received what was rightfully theirs! :rolleyes:

So, these reactions show how the psychology of the non Japanese Fuji buyer works as opposed to the Japanese way of doing marketing. As I wrote somewhere else on this forum, this will be, in years to come, an interesting case study which will be the object of much discussions in marketing and psychology courses.

It is a generally accepted norm that customer’s expectations need being exceeded to create that pleasant feeling of being welcomed and valued but once the customer's have been fed this extraordinary new idea of “ continuous improvement" ( the famous Kaizen, which most now think of as an imperiture promise) this Japanese sword ( an extraordinary Japanese marketing Katana) reveals itself to be a double edged one but one that unusually cuts both ways ( Katanas are normally single edged swords), creating hostility within the excluded group which feels left out and short changed ( although there is no previous tradition or promise to a never ending improvement extending for years!).

Peculiar! But such is the mind of the western customer! :ph34r:

I cant wait for the official release for the XT1 however I don't want to risk installing the Beta then cant in stall the offiocial etc etc. Question : I also own an x100T will they release updated firmware too so that some of the new features especial focusing can be incorporated? If anyone knows that would be great. 

It's possible to re-install the leaked firmware over and over. So I think when the official version comes out there won't be a problem installing

I updated the 'new' firmware, new af is cool, but my metering mode dial doesen't seem to work anymore now  :blink: 

Anybody with the same problem ?

edit : Well re-initialised all the settings and it's back  :o

Metering mode dial works only if Intelligent Face Detection is off  (X-T1 user manual page 53).

From my 2 years experience with Fuji, X-Pro1, X-E1 & now a couple of T1's, I've never had a problem that that was connected to suspect FW. That is, a bug and not something that was working as intended but didn't like.

I guess there will have been the odd bug or two but probably so insignificant I never noticed them.

There certainly were bugs. They were fixed with updates, and some of these fixes were even publicly acknowledged in the firmware description. Business as usual. The majority of these bugs were so exotic that they weren't discussed in forums. 

All of this reminds me the Queen’s song. :)

“ I want it all! I want it all and I want it now!" :lol:

I understand that, at least for some folks here, the anticipation of the new firmware update is burning the candle of their patience at both ends, but waiting shouldn’t be all that difficult! After all we all bought a great camera without all the new things and gladly used it for some time , so what’s the problem in waiting a few days more? Just use the camera as you always did and be happy!

There will be plenty of bugs to talk about after the official release so why wasting time on a pre-release version containing the theoretical possibility that if something malfunctions your guarantee might not be honored?

On the subject of the “ I want it all” part of the song, which refers to the fact that as soon as Fuji announced the upgrade for later models, some owners of the X-E2  immediately started wailing but some even felt they could reasonably find reasons to be hostile towards their previously beloved Fuji, menacing to immediately part with their camera if they hadn’t received what was rightfully theirs! :rolleyes:

So, these reactions show how the psychology of the non Japanese Fuji buyer works as opposed to the Japanese way of doing marketing. As I wrote somewhere else on this forum, this will be, in years to come, an interesting case study which will be the object of much discussions in marketing and psychology courses.

It is a generally accepted norm that customer’s expectations need being exceeded to create that pleasant feeling of being welcomed and valued but once the customer's have been fed this extraordinary new idea of “ continuous improvement" ( the famous Kaizen, which most now think of as an imperiture promise) this Japanese sword ( an extraordinary Japanese marketing Katana) reveals itself to be a double edged one but one that unusually cuts both ways ( Katanas are normally single edged swords), creating hostility within the excluded group which feels left out and short changed ( although there is no previous tradition or promise to a never ending improvement extending for years!).

Peculiar! But such is the mind of the western customer! :ph34r:

I would guess that a high number of the early installers aren't obsessing over using the new firmware and aren't desperate for Fuji to give them more and more but instead either work in technology or have grown up in the modern era of technology and are comfortable assessing the risk of using the leaked firmware.    So it isn't that the early installers are so impatient that they couldn't wait and are willing to take unreasonable risks in the process, it is that they better understand that the actual risk is very low.    Most of those that are waiting are doing so simply because they perceive the risk to be greater than it is.

So it isn't that the early installers are so impatient that they couldn't wait and are willing to take unreasonable risks in the process, it is that they better understand that the actual risk is very low.    Most of those that are waiting are doing so simply because they perceive the risk to be greater than it is.

The facts accessible to all of us neither indicates that you're right nor that you're wrong. Flatulently repeating arguments doesn't change anything. Suggesting, that "warners" are not able to understand risks doesn't help either. To be silent, on the other hand, does. 

Most of those that are waiting are doing so simply because they perceive the risk to be greater than it is.

The people that had put real effort into developing the software (Fuji) have not yet told me I can have it. Therefore, in my mind, if I took it, I would be stealing. I was raised to believe that stealing is wrong. To me, the risk is irrelevant.