X-T1 FW 4.0 BETA: I have it and share my findings soon ;)

Does Fuji really want to offend that core group of its most enthusiastic early adapters and buyers of all their gear????  Not a good move. 

Why do you think Fuji wants to offend anyone? See it from their perspective: The FW was never meant to be publicly available, it was meant for reviewers and beta testers. Those people have ways of uninstalling it, reverting to an old version or whatever. Now that it's out in the wild they need to spend resources to determine how they make the best of the situation and the potential consequences for their customers. On the one side they can not blame the hardcore Fuji fans, on the other hand they clearly stated it was beta and no one should install it. Like flysurfer said, this is the first time they made such a version available so widespread. If this leak causes too much effort, they may well decide to not do anything like that in the future, in order to prevent harm for their customers and themselves.

Just one scenario - the real consequences depend on whether they find problems with updating from the beta FW etc.

So many comments about what Fuji should or shouldn't do. What they have done is unprecedented - transforming the X-T1 into a much more competent camera (silent electronic shutter, new focusing system ...) all through free firmware upgrades.

If they should do anything differently in the future, here is my small advice: don't announce anything until just before it's ready to ship. A long waiting time plus the "I want it now and I want it for free"-mentality that the net inspires makes it very likely that someone, somewhere will leak new firmware. And once it's out there, it will spread like wildfire.

But is this a bug:  with focus mode zone or wide and face detect on it is not possible to move the default AF position.  In v3.10 Fuji added feature where FD focused on preselected single AF point if a face could not be detected.

You must be doing something wrong. Fuji is lying. The leaked firmware is the final version and has no bugs: 

Those claiming big dangers on evil betas will reaming silent as death in seven days.

Please fuji folks, accept your plans has been spoiled and do not fool your customers. 

Those kind of lies are also part of the customer's communication, and we do not use to like them.

And if for any chance should I be wrong, I won't swallow my words, it's as simple as waiting for v.4.1 ...... and this is indeed a pretty NICE beta :P , I guess, the best ever built beta in software developing History

If they should do anything differently in the future, here is my small advice: don't announce anything until just before it's ready to ship. A long waiting time plus the "I want it now and I want it for free"-mentality that the net inspires makes it very likely that someone, somewhere will leak new firmware. And once it's out there, it will spread like wildfire.

F4 had to be announced before the X-T10 to avoid a shitstorm of epic proportions. Fuji knows very well that many of their customers are quite unreasonable and complain about everything, not only the what, but also the when. Whatever they do or don't do, it's always wrong. Just think about the endless complaints about the "missing" X-E2 update, or the X100S firmware update whining.

But is this a bug:  with focus mode zone or wide and face detect on it is not possible to move the default AF position.  In v3.10 Fuji added feature where FD focused on preselected single AF point if a face could not be detected.

Not a problem with my pre-release version of firmware 4. It works like it should. I can move and resize points and zones as I please with FD on. Maybe you are using an older beta?

Wow great stuff!!! If you tell me you were using face detect and it worked on your dog I'll have to do a celebration dance :P

#dogshavefacestoo #facedetectmycat

According to Flysurfer Rico, Fuji tester, the way Fuji implements its Face Detection, is you cannot have Face Detection and PDAF.   If you want Face Detection, it is back to Contrast AF Method.  If you want PDAF, gotta turn off that Face Detection.   Does not work together, this is how Fuji decided to implement its face detect feature (different from Sony, where pdaf and face detection of course works together just as well in continuous AF mode).  

I love the new zone C-AF :)

Our beloved speedy boxer, X-T1 beta 4.0 and using the slowly 56/1.2 almost all pictures. OOC all, no crop, simple Pro Neg STD -1 shadows, -1 highlight.

Can you share which af mode and zone/wide you used for these?   I had very little keepers last night with 56/1.2 trying to track my 3 year old running unpredictably around a playground.  

Being a Mac owner, I am well versed in the fanboyerisms. Oh well, Fuji fanboys seem to be in a different league altogether. Coming up with sinister conspiracy theories regarding Fuji and what they are thinking etc is just pure crazy talk. Can we just enjoy ourselves and go outside to take pictures?

Can you share which af mode and zone/wide you used for these?   I had very little keepers last night with 56/1.2 trying to track my 3 year old running unpredictably around a playground.  

C-AF, Zone, 5x3 and 3x3 PDAF mode. And CH burst. No face detection of course, face detection is so useless on 4.0 too  :unsure: 

The Zone C-AF requires a bit of patience :)  Do not release the shutter immediately, just keep pushing halfway the release, leave a little time to find the "target". After that it will track your subject relative succesfully depends on lens and the complexity of scene. No other object in the field zone? Success. Too many object? Error.

Never will be 100% of the shots in focus, but I think this C-AF zone is fantastic... specially with "old-man-slooow" AF 56/1.2. I never had a MILC that was capable to track my dog.

Some more sharing. Inside a low light cave , hunt monkey with FW4!

XT-1 grip on

50-140

18787448578_2f98786cdf_z.jpg

f/2.8

140mm

1/200

ISO1600

18948858646_6de58c4fee_z.jpg

f/2.8

140mm

1/250

ISO3200

I found wide/tracking still with lens hunting even status in green (tested with 14 and 50-140). FW4 can be said better than before, enough for now (I'm satisfied with, in case I need it :lol:)

C-AF, Zone, 5x3 and 3x3 PDAF mode. And CH burst. No face detection of course, face detection is so useless on 4.0 too  :unsure: 

The Zone C-AF requires a bit of patience :)  Do not release the shutter immediately, just keep pushing halfway the release, leave a little time to find the "target". After that it will track your subject relative succesfully depends on lens and the complexity of scene. No other object in the field zone? Success. Too many object? Error.

Never will be 100% of the shots in focus, but I think this C-AF zone is fantastic... specially with "old-man-slooow" AF 56/1.2. I never had a MILC that was capable to track my dog.

Yes I found that too, the tracking will in/out to main target or another object :wacko: 

Thanks. I had too many other kids interfere with mine on the playground so it must have confused the camera

Not in a debate as to whether its a beta, evaluation or final version, but here is another bug/feature.  Hope Fuji listening.

In Aperture priority with Auto iso, setting exposure compensation causes the exp comp marker to display in yellow.  Thats OK.

But when you do this in manual exposure (new feature in FW4) it is displayed white and normally shows the compensation set on the Exp Comp dial.  When the camera cannot get the correct exposure as iso cannot increase/decrease any further the exposure compensation display then shows how much under exposure is measured, but the marker is still in white.  So you get no indication of whether the under exposure is what you selected or not.  Could fix by changing marker yellow when it matches dial.

so..., just back from holiday and since I haven’t partaken to the feeding frenzy of the Beta version ( Fuji own words!) ... are we there yet? The official release would be, If I remember well, today or tomorrow?

Curing bugs before releasing might be causing some delays, after all, beta versions are there to be tested.

Anyone in the know of when will we have the final version?

Thanks to all who shared with me. Fw installed! Tested 14mm in very dim lighting and focus was lightening fast! Used the 3x3 zone focus. Can't wait to try the 23, 56 and 18-135 tomorrow morning! This doesn't seem like a beta to me. Even the framing lines are thinner as stated. Looks legit.

Thanks to all who shared with me. Fw installed! Tested 14mm in very dim lighting and focus was lightening fast! Used the 3x3 zone focus. Can't wait to try the 23, 56 and 18-135 tomorrow morning! This doesn't seem like a beta to me. Even the framing lines are thinner as stated. Looks legit.

So is it confirmed that there is an improvement for the 14mm? Thinking about buying it.

It was a terrific lens even before any upgrades. Just get it.

Thank you for your comments but my purse has only enough money to fund the 16mm or the 14mm...14mm is on sale for another couple hours and trawled through all the forums but still undecided...