X-T1 FW 4.0 BETA: I have it and share my findings soon ;)

After user complaints about bugs in new firmware releases, this was the first time Fuji decided to hand-out a pre-release version of a firmware update to selected photographers in order to collect feedback (in a 2 week long period), then take another week to apply any fixes based on this feedback.

Before this, Fuji simply released software that was only tested within Fuji (and maybe a few trusted "buddies" like Zack Arias). I recommended a change of this restrictive policy, because it sounded reasonable to beta-test pre-release firmware in the field for a few weeks. Fuji listened, but I'm not sure if they will ever repeat this "experiment" after what has happened here.

I think this leak is unfortunate and whomever did it is a d-bag. I also think posting links to the download on the rumors page was irresponsible and am glad they reconsidered and pulled it. It would be a poor (but understandable) move by Fuji to stop "live" testing of future firmware releases because of this. What Fuji should do is make sure the official release will not install over the leaked release without their intervention. Then should charge everyone that wasn't authorized to have the leaked release a fee to do the overwrite. I'll bet then next time people will wait the week for the official version :)

Or, it might be wise for them to tie beta/early release firmware to camera serial numbers. Sad that there can be no trust anymore.

Why not just name a production release something like 4.1 or 4.0.1? 

As a programmer I would really wonder if internal upgrade logic is based on official FW number. Of course this can be, but much better idea is having internal versioning as it is under developer's control, while official versioning is usually defined by sales guys or "go to market" department. Also performing internal upgrade test benefits from this approach.

Why not just name a production release something like 4.1 or 4.0.1? 

Because the release is a major release. In SW development there are some well known processes and naming conventions - for good reasons.

Guys who do not really know them should not make too much nonsense proposals.

At least they should not expect a 4.1 or 4.01 because they just grabbed an unofficial version.  -_-

(no personal offense against somebody. That's just how it is. )

So far no problems no bugs with the firmware.   And I don't see anyone here or any other place who had this for the last few several days to complain about a single problem with the firmware.   Because there are literally 1000s of people right now with it on their XT1 actively using it, which is times more than usual with normal beta software, we would have heard something surely if there was anything wrong.   Everything works as it should.

Further, with firmware 4.0,  it is not clear whether Fuji is going to update it any further.   What else do you think they could squeeze in the software for that 2 year old camera???  What features you are thinking?  The camera is limited by its sensor and autofocus system at this point.  So the present firmware is possibly the last one anyway when it comes to this model.   At least I don't see how much more they could improve it beyond what's already in this firmware. 

Further, if Fuji produces more firmware and it does not update to 1000s of us who updated with this so called beta 4.0 who is Fuji punishing???  Who are the people that ran and updated immediately???   It is the same crazy Fuji fans that is a core base of Fuji, the same people who pre-order and run and buy Fujis next camera and all the lenses.     We are the core of that crazy group of early adapters and people who preorder and buy new things from Fuji, guaranteed.  

Does Fuji really want to offend that core group of its most enthusiastic early adapters and buyers of all their gear????  Not a good move. 

So far no problems no bugs with the firmware. And I don't see anyone here or any other place who had this for the last few several days to complain about a single problem with the firmware. Because there are literally 1000s of people right now with it on their XT1 actively using it, which is times more than usual with normal beta software, we would have heard something surely if there was anything wrong. Everything works as it should.

Further, with firmware 4.0, it is not clear whether Fuji is going to update it any further. What else do you think they could squeeze in the software for that 2 year old camera??? What features you are thinking? The camera is limited by its sensor and autofocus system at this point. So the present firmware is possibly the last one anyway when it comes to this model. At least I don't see how much more they could improve it beyond what's already in this firmware.

I'm guessing there will be some small bug fix releases as bugs usually crop up when a firmware goes live to the masses.

From reading around a few Fuji fan sites/forums, I think the most requested feature still missing (I think I read it's still missing from this 4.0 beta) is better exposure bracketing. Maybe that's another thing they can squeeze out of the hardware?

Does anyone know if the level of exposure bracketing be a hardware limitation?

I'm hoping everyone who installed the beta can upgrade to the official 4.0 once released; I can't believe the amount of people willing to risk it for the sake of a week.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

At least I don't see how much more they could improve it beyond what's already in this firmware.

Let's hope they have time to add a 24 hr clock (do they really use am/pm in Japan???) , 3 step bracketing and a (proper) flash system before they call it a day. All possible w firmware updates only. 4.1 or 5.0?

Let's hope they have time to add a 24 hr clock (do they really use am/pm in Japan???) , 3 step bracketing and a (proper) flash system before they call it a day. All possible w firmware updates only. 4.1 or 5.0?

I don't think they can do HSS the way you want it via firmware, that requires different hardware.   My Nissin i40 can do HSS up to 1/4000 with XT1 in Shutter Priority and Aperture mode.   That's not bad.   I could care less about the clock though.  

I don't think they can do HSS the way you want it via firmware, that requires different hardware. My Nissin i40 can do HSS up to 1/4000 with XT1 in Shutter Priority and Aperture mode. That's not bad. I could care less about the clock though.

I normally don't care about the

clock either, but I've been through 3-4 firmware versions without them adding such a basic functionality, then it just gets annoying.

BTW I was more thinking about support for the mythical new remote (?) flash system /flashes that's coming and wasn't thinking HSS in particular.

I think this leak is unfortunate and whomever did it is a d-bag. I also think posting links to the download on the rumors page was irresponsible and am glad they reconsidered and pulled it. It would be a poor (but understandable) move by Fuji to stop "live" testing of future firmware releases because of this. What Fuji should do is make sure the official release will not install over the leaked release without their intervention. Then should charge everyone that wasn't authorized to have the leaked release a fee to do the overwrite. I'll bet then next time people will wait the week for the official version :)

Or, it might be wise for them to tie beta/early release firmware to camera serial numbers. Sad that there can be no trust anymore.

Revenge over all. That's KaiZen.

I own two XT1's, a XE2, seven lenses, all of them purchased ahead of any review, many of them preordered, trusting in Fuji. That's why I just can't understand revenge.

Know what? I really don't care, if for any chance there is gonna be revenge against your trusting customers, I'll grab my second body and carry on working. Next purchase, I'll remember this. Before lethal injection, my last meal, please, sushi.

As one of those who took a leap of faith, I needed to verify that the camera would allow a re-install of the same version. Seems to work as the camera goes through the paces by displaying the progress bar of the install. Once completed, my X-T1 is behaving the same as it has been since I've installed the new "beta" FW.

I also tested to see if I could re-install 3.11. I can't, which confirms what has been previously stated about not being able to install a previous firmware release. Also, I verified that that the firmware updater does indeed use checksum to verify the integrity of the FW file. It does.

Cheers!

Rolly

Revenge over all. That's KaiZen.

I own two XT1's, a XE2, seven lenses, all of them purchased ahead of any review, many of them preordered, trusting in Fuji. That's why I just can't understand revenge.

Know what? I really don't care, if for any chance there is gonna be revenge against your trusting customers, I'll grab my second body and carry on working. Next purchase, I'll remember this. Before lethal injection, my last meal, please, sushi.

And after all, if there was a leak, it was because  Fuji was not able to set up appropriate protecting measures. :)

Just saw on Facebook that even some famous Fuji Ambassadors have installed the (beta) firmware.

"The AF-Fairy (that's the sister of the Tooth Fairy) brought me the Fuji FW upgrade a little early. All I can say is... it's Bloody Brilliant! Kudos to Fujifilm for keeping improving on cameras that were already very capable to begin with. And for doing so for free!"

quote: P.vd.E

Not easy for Fuji - what to do with all those hasty people? They have done it to themselves willingly, but in the end those are the real Fuji fans and loyal costumers. And it would not look good when there is a flaw in the leaked firmware, and X-T1´s begin to "explode", other people who are not well informed about Fuji could through the complicated ways of internet recieve only the message "Fuji makes bad cameras and suicidal firmwares". They will surely do something about it, when there is real need, it´s about their public image, but they should work on their security measures. This leak was really not needed just a week ahead of the official release.

I think that if I had a shoot to do where focus was a critical element to improving the experience (like a wedding), I might be tempted to download the beta. That being said, I may not be, because if the FW turns my camera into a brick, then I'm even more disadvantaged. Even though many report that everything is fine, there's likely to be that one guy (and probably me, at that) who takes the risk and loses everything. I'll stick with waiting before "evaluating". Besides, what if Fuji drops new lens firmware? Then all of the "scientific reviews" are pointless anyways.

I do not want to encourage anybody, but, just to share my personal experience, I have installed the Fujileaks FW 4.0 early this morning  (Central Europe Time) and I have used it all the day without any trouble and with much satisfaction. I do not know if the final official version will be different and, if this is the case I will be able to install it over the Fujileaks version, but after this test really I do not care.

Yes focusing faster with 35mm and I do like the zone focusing.   Also glad to see the end of the macro on/off selection

But is this a bug:  with focus mode zone or wide and face detect on it is not possible to move the default AF position.  In v3.10 Fuji added feature where FD focused on preselected single AF point if a face could not be detected.