Fuji X-T2 vs. Nikon D750 for Image quality

Smorton

Greetings:

I have been thinking about buying a Nikon D750.  Then I handled (briefly) a Fuji X-T2.  I much preferred the handling of the X-T2.

My question is whether you give up much in terms of image quality with the X-T2 vs. Nikon D750.  I would assume you do because of ff vs. crop.  I am not printing billboards.  I would print occasionally 16 x 20 approx.

I am not a professional and my photos are nothing fancy but I do like high resolution, etc.

I am sorry if I am asking a repeat question.

Thank you.

SM

No, I traded it in. Completely switched systems. Ended up getting x-t2, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm/1.4, 35mm /1.4, kit lens 18-55 2.8-4, Samyang 50mm /1.2, grip.

Loving it so far. Wouldn't go back if you paid me. Used it in studio, on location, with family.

I'm a convert.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I can't afford to pay you to go back but thank you for the insight.

SM

Sorry if the link didn't work. Original posts copied below.

OK,

I took the plunge a few weeks ago and since then I've have a few short studio shoots, a lot of taking pics of the family and thought I'd better report back with my findings to help others contemplating the same thing.

Things I like:

The EVF is stunning.

In available light this is a much better way to take images as you se exactly what you are going to get.  With available light or continuous light in studio it takes a lot few shots to get the look you are after. I'm much faster getting shots with the XT2 than I was with the D810. I look though the viewfinder, adjust exposure settings to get what I want and then just worry about framng. Great. The D810 would take me longer, once I've taken a meter reading, I'd need 3 or 4 shots to dial in the exposure as I was thinking.

The lenses are fantastic.

The Nikon glass was pretty good as well, and not really that fair to compare them directly as the f/1.4 glass is expensive. Most Fuji lenses I have (16mm, 24mm, 35mm, f/1.4) are super sharp, even at f/1.4. No issues nailing focus and getting super sharp results.

AF is great.

The AF is really good. It tracks better than my D810. When you have it set correctly, I seem to get more keeps in a burst (nearly always 100%) than my D810, however it's more of a faff to set it up in the mode you want (see dislikes section).

Cropability

Not sure why this is as I've taken a drop in resolution but I feel just as able to crop as I did with my D810.  I'm not sure if it's to do with the Xtrans sensor but it seems to retain detail at higher magnifications. E.g. zooming in to 2:1 in lightroom seems to retain more detail than 2:1 on my D810 files.

Noise

The noise is different to my D810.  The one thing that annoyed with my D810 is the colour noise. You didn't have to push the ISO too far to get ugly colour noise in the images.  This is not there is is less ugly with the XT2. I used to default the D810's colour noise reduction to 15% on anything over ISO 800, which gave you muted colours that were a bit meh. With the XT2 the colour noise is not there or not unpleasent. I've turned off colour noise reduction completely in lightroom now.

Speed

Super fast camera to work with, I'd say as fast in normal shooting as the D810, however there seems to be slightly more shutter lag than the D810 even though the AF is as fast or faster. If you want split second timing most of the time, maybe better to stick with a DSLR.

Colours

The colour rendition is great. Seem to get extra range (not sure what to call it) with the colours. I don't know what the proper term is, but it's like there are more available colours to use.

Charging

The battery grip can be plugged in and the 2 batteries can be charged in the grip, you can also plug the camera into a micro USB and charge up the camera battery. If you are driving somewhere between shooting you can just plug it into your phone micro USB in the car and have it charge on the way.  This is great. You don't need extra battery chargers if you go away / camping.

Manual focus

This was a no-no for me with the D810, I would never nail it without being very slow. So I only used manual lensesfor macro of still things. The focus peaking on the XT2 means you can use manual lenses with ease. I have an Helios 55mm f/2, a Helios 135mm f/2.8 and now a Samyang 50mm f/1.2 and they are a breeze to focus, even on (slow) moving things. Every camera should have focus peaking like this!

Tilting screen

Great!

Depth of field

My Nikon glass was mainly made of of f/1.8 primes (I'm not made of money!) and I was worried that the smaller sensor would make it hard for me to get subject separation. I've got some nice f/1.4 fuji glass as well as a Samyang f/1.2 50mm. The DOF between the Nikon 1.8 and the Fuji Samyang 1.4 - 1.2 lenses  doesn't seem too dissimilar. I'm happy.

Size and weight

Much better for family and out and about pictures. Doens't realy make any difference for studio, model location shoots.

Things I don't like:

Batery life.

This is not very good.  I've got the grip which takes 2 batteries, so for anythign serious is not a problem. Without the grip you need a battery in your pocket. Also, if you use a wifi SD card, there is no easy way to keep the camera on (to transfer images) without draining battery a lot.  The best I've found is to put the display into EVF + eye sensor so that none of the displays are lit when you have the camera on and are not looking through the eye pieces, but put it in your bag when it goes dark and it'll fire up the EVF.

AF setup.

Whilst you can get super awesome performance from the AF system, it works completely different to the way I used to use my D810 (I'd put it in £d tracking, continuous, back button focus) and then just either hold down the AF on for tracking or tap the AF on to do single. The XT2 requires you to be in the right mode.  If you are in the studio, you really need to change it to single point AF-S, if you are tracking something you need to change it to AF-C and then change to Zone or wide tracking. To get D810 beating AF whilst tracking something you need (I think) to force it to use the phase detect system only by putting it in CH (continouous high) shooting. If you have it in CL or S then it uses the contrast detection and tracking is slower.  If anyone knows a way to force it to only use the phase detect when in other drive modes, please let me know and I'll buy you a pint!.

More customisation:

This is a strange one. You can customise the XT2 more than any other camera I have owned. Must more than the D810. However I'd like to assign things like changing the EVF from exposure / white balance / preview (WYSIWYG) to off (for when you use external lights) to a button. This is so that when you are swapping in a studio between strobes and continous light you don't have to dig in the menu. Also I'd like to be able to assign and remove the AF-on - shutter button link easily (so I can give my camera to my wife to take pics and change it from back button focus to shutter button focus). Again, if you know how to do this, a second pint is on offer!

Lens mount:

I'll get used to it but they screw on and off backwards compared to my D810!

TTL flash:

I'd like the option for some 3rd party TTL flashes (are there any?) The fuji one is super expensive, think I need to keep an eye on ebay. I've used a manual one with no issues, but when swapping from manual flash to no flash you have to change the EVF to preview exposure on with no flash and off with flash. I'd like to think that a TTL flash would tuen this on and off for you when you turn the flash on and off. Does anyone have the Fuji flash and can comment whether it does it?

That's my summary for now.  Overally I'm very happy with my camera. I'd be happy to shoot a wedding with it (but I'd need an extra body). I was nervous it wouldn't be as good / easy to use in the studio as my D810, but my fears were unfounded after a couple of short studio shoots. This isn't meant to be a Nikon vs. Fuji or DSLR vs. mirrorless post.  I was a big mirrorless sceptic so thought my comments migth help others. If you have specific questions I can try to answer them or post images to help answer them. Hope some of that was useful.

AJP

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Greetings:

I have been thinking about buying a Nikon D750.  Then I handled (briefly) a Fuji X-T2.  I much preferred the handling of the X-T2.

My question is whether you give up much in terms of image quality with the X-T2 vs. Nikon D750.  I would assume you do because of ff vs. crop.  I am not printing billboards.  I would print occasionally 16 x 20 approx.

I am not a professional and my photos are nothing fancy but I do like high resolution, etc.

Thank you.

SM

I switched from a D800 and a D800e to the X-T1 and the X-T2. Haven't looked back. Enjoying every moment.  Images are tack sharp and clear, I've made up to 36 x24 prints, and I couldn't be happier especially knowing I don't have to lug the dSLR around anymore.

Greetings:

Thank you.

SM

You're not a professional and the biggest you might print is 16x20. Chances are, your photos will just be shown online, which is about 1-2 megapixels. Perhaps you'll make one of your pictures your wallpaper. So if you get a 4k monitor for that, it'll be about 8 megapixels. In conclusion, it doesn't matter what camera you get. Get the X-T2 if you like the handling better. You probably won't see the difference in quality in 99.9% of the photos you take. 

You are right on most of those things.

1.  Not professional

2.  Look at photos online;

3.  But take away the 16 x 20 and let's say I want to print quite a bit bigger than that.

If I go somewhat/quite a bit bigger than 16 x 20 will the resolution and image quality be effected.

I have a friend who has a full frame camera.  His photos seem richer looking (Canon 6D).  I tried out a Canon 80D.  I tried out a Nikon D5600.  I could see fairly easily that the Nikon photos had better resolution.

Two identical photos taken under as close as you can get circumstances.  One is Nikon D750 and other is Fuji XT-2.  Unless you did the pixel peeping could you tell much difference.  Also, I don't go around taking photos in extremely low light usually. .  .but sometimes I do.  Notice much difference there.

I had Canon gear and lost it all.  Have Sony A6000.  Not too crazy about the menu.

Thanks for patience.

SM

Jigesh:

You also got rid of your Nikon gear?

I assume that both cameras produced better images than X-T2, I am just wondering how much difference there might be.

Apparently not enough difference for quite a few people to move from FF Nikon to the X-T2.

Thanks

SM

@smorton

Buy the D750!

There is such a strong common understanding that full frame is better just because it is full frame that no one can really escape. If you would already own a full frame and knew all the advantages and disadvantages than you would be able to value the advantages and disadvantages of the Fujis correctly. But if you have no first hand experience with full frame there will always be a nagging feeling that the Fuji was a wrong decision.

On Dpreview.com you can get an idea how the T2 image quality compares to the D750. Even if some say that they do not do justice to the Fujis because the images are processed with Light Room which is known to be not the best processor for X-Trans.

Smorton:

It depends on what you do (hobby vs. commercial, wild-life/sports vs. travel, etc.). Nikon FX (D810, D750) to any DX including X-T2 is a step down (just my view, others may disagree) in terms of focus accuracy, depth of field, and overall image quality (not to say Nikon raw files are much easier to work with in LR than Fuji's). The difference is quite noticeable and I have seen this first hand. Ideally, X-T2 can be an excellent addition to a D810 or D750 setup rather than substitution, of course, if money permits. Again, my personal view, not trying to upset anyone.

However, FX lenses (good quality, f1.4 or f1.8 or f2.8) are much bigger/heavier and so is the FX DSLR camera and flash. I shoot family and travel and don't make money out of photography. For me, X-T2 + lenses are easy to carry and less eye-catching (than Nikon setup). The pictures are also excellent, colors are great and the move (Nikon FX DSLR to Fuji DX mirrorless) serves my purpose. After all, moments, subjects and light play a much bigger role in how memorable your picture will be than the hardware one uses. What I don't like about X-T2 (coming from a decade worth of using FX) is native ISO of 200 (which I would have liked to be at least 100), and not being able to use as fast a shutter speed for a given aperture as on FX. Lighting system is also missing with Fuji though EF-X500 is a good first step.

Good luck.

EDIT: By the way, if you never had a good FX camera setup, you won't have any previous bias/way to compare. Make no mistake, X-T2 is a great camera and Fuji has excellent lens lineup. You'll love the pictures you get from X-T2.

Edited by jigesh

Perfect world situation:

Buy the D750 now because it is so reasonable.  Get the kit lens and then some primes.

Then get X-T2 if I can peddle my 2 Sony a6000 and lens.

No law against owning two systems.

Thanks for great advice.

SM

But you said you'll print occasionally at 16x20. Now that fact is no longer valid? BTW, I printed 24x36 with a photo I took with the X-E1, which is only 16 megapixels. It looked amazing. 

Honestly though, you can't go wrong with either camera. 

You are right on most of those things.

1.  Not professional

2.  Look at photos online;

3.  But take away the 16 x 20 and let's say I want to print quite a bit bigger than that.

If I go somewhat/quite a bit bigger than 16 x 20 will the resolution and image quality be effected.

I have a friend who has a full frame camera.  His photos seem richer looking (Canon 6D).  I tried out a Canon 80D.  I tried out a Nikon D5600.  I could see fairly easily that the Nikon photos had better resolution.

Two identical photos taken under as close as you can get circumstances.  One is Nikon D750 and other is Fuji XT-2.  Unless you did the pixel peeping could you tell much difference.  Also, I don't go around taking photos in extremely low light usually. .  .but sometimes I do.  Notice much difference there.

I had Canon gear and lost it all.  Have Sony A6000.  Not too crazy about the menu.

Thanks for patience.

SM

Real world situation:

1.  I don't like the Sony menus;

2.  I really don't like the Sony service.  I bought the second A6000 because the first one was defective.  I actually bought one new and within a day it was not working properly.  Store took it back and gave me a new one.  New one had the same problem.  Within a week it didn't work.  Store-"Never seen anything like this before" and gave me a new one.  Third one I took on a trip.  Stopped working just as I was getting into good photo territory.  Far from home, very, very frustrated.  Took photos with Iphone.  Camera was sent to Sony and about 2-3 months later I had it back.

3.  Would like to own full frame once in my life.

4.  When looking for full frame, everyone steered me to the X-T2.  I don't think they get an extra commission for this.  Some a camera crazy people.  One guy works in store and is professional the rest of the time.  He was wild about Sony full frame a year ago.  Has had D750 and many many cameras.  Now he claims he doesn't touch anything but the X-T2.  

5.  Could there be a more retro and interesting camera out there?  Using it was like I was 30 years younger and on a first date.

Have to give this some thought.  The replies are quite helpful.

SM 

3.  Would like to own full frame once in my life.

Does this really matter?  Any current model full frame or "crop" sensor camera is capable of excellent results.  Who cares what format takes the photograph?  Sure there are some differences but how often do you push the camera to extremes?

I occasionally print my photographs, typically in the 11 x 14 to 16 x 20 range, not larger.  I have photographs on the wall from a D70, D300, D700, D800, and X-T1.   No one who looks at them can tell a difference between the different cameras or formats.

Just recently I sold my D800 and picked up a Df because I found that 36MP was overkill for me.  The 16MP cameras are just perfect.

You are unlikely to ever notice a difference in image quality between a D750 and X-T2.  Sure the cameras are different - size, weight, resolution, autofocus - but the image quality of each is more than capable.

Edited by Pouncer

Does this really matter?  Any current model full frame or "crop" sensor camera is capable of excellent results.  Who cares what format takes the photograph?  Sure there are some differences but how often do you push the camera to extremes?

I occasionally print my photographs, typically in the 11 x 14 to 16 x 20 range, not larger.  I have photographs on the wall from a D70, D300, D700, D800, and X-T1.   No one who looks at them can tell a difference between the different cameras or formats.

Just recently I sold my D800 and picked up a Df because I found that 36MP was overkill for me.  The 16MP cameras are just perfect.

You are unlikely to ever notice a difference in image quality between a D750 and X-T2.  Sure the cameras are different - size, weight, resolution, autofocus - but the image quality of each is more than capable.

I suspect you are right.  Thanks

SM

I shoot with a D600 and D750. I also shoot Canons and Fujifilm. I agree with Jigesh that these produce better images than the X-T1 or T2.

Nikon glass renders beautiful colors and images. Has more "depth" to it.

Also, I find that Nikon lenses suffer less from what modern lenses may suffer from. "Sterile" pictures. In today's quest for impeccable sharpness and edge to edge performance, we seem to be trading artistic render for MTF charts.

But I digress....

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/10/26/sterile-look-problems-camera-lenses-good/

I have printed 18x12 from a cropped image made with an X-E1. I do not see any shortcoming with respect to resolution. I think you will just fine with the X-T2. In fact, now that I'm using an X-PRO2 (same sensor as X-T2) it's not the additional pixels that continue to surprise, it's the dynamic range that is the biggest deal. Situations that previously called for HDR now only need LR's Dhadow and Highlight sliders.

Greetings:

Hi there - This is going to be contrary information to whats in this thread already but for my eyes, YES - there is a difference in IQ.  Whether you appreciate the differences is hard to say.  I have a D810 and I can definitely notice the differences between the X-T2 and it on some types of images.  Everyone has different needs.  I love to shoot landscapes during the golden hour and also do a fair bit of stationary impressional images.  Wide angle landscape is no contest - d810 wins hands down in terms of detail and quality of images.  I have very good glass for both systems and would rate the color saturation, micro contrast, and shadow recovery better on the d810.  I would not worry about print size for either system as they are fine for what you listed.  I LOVE the x-t2 as a camera and still use it quite a bit, but no its not FF quality in an crop sensor body for my style of photography as much as I want it to be  :)