I'm going to buy the X-T2, need some advice

Hi there,

I'm going to buy an X-T2 soon. It's a gift for my wife.

Before I buy it though, I have a few questions.

First, camera body.

Right now she has the X-T10 which she's been using mainly in urban environment.

She's loving landscape photography though and when she tried to shoot in a harsh weather condition, the X-T10 didn't respond very well, which I guess is to be expected as is not weather sealed. Luckily she had her old Nikon d3100 which worked fine.

The X-T2, in the other hand, is weather sealed so I feel more confident she shouldn't have similar problems with this camera.

Can X-T2 owners confirm?

Second question: lens.

I've heard great things about the 100-400, but it's pricey for the budget I have right now, therefore I thought that I could buy the XF55-200 which seems to be a sturdy lens, with a good range as 200mm should be enough for her to get some long shots and the 55 good for portrait or similar.

What are your thoughts? Are there better choices in that price range?

Body and lens as per the above configuration it's around $2,200 which is fine for my budget. Perhaps I could add extra @$200 if that would make a significant difference, although I might have to consider the grip for later (see below).

Third question: video.

Last thing she's getting very interested in is shooting video as well. As far as I know with the X-T2 Fuji introduced the first camera which gives good results when it comes to video (probably I should consider the grip later). Is there anyone with experience in that area? Any comments on the video features of the X-T2?

Last note. I tried to compare all of the above with the Nikon d810, as that was my first thought. Considered several things, such as weight, portability, cost, video, I ended up leaning toward the X-T2. I know the d810 is an heavy duty camera, but I assume the X-T2 can handle harsh situation as well.

I know this is a Fuji forum, so it would be normal for people to be a little biased, nonetheless I ask your honest opinion if it would make really sense to go with the d810. I personally am a big fan of mirrorless for their portability and in particular of Fuji (despite I don't own one) as I really like the quality of the picture from these cameras. Also, I think the FF vs APS-C is pointless, so I don't consider that an important element when it comes comparing X-T2 and d810, although I understand for some people this can be a deterrent and I respect that.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, as you can see I need quite some help here!

Thanks in advance! :)

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I am also about to buy an X-T2 but as am trading in my existing X-E2 - then I'll have the X-T2 as the main camera and my X-T1 as a backup with the 10-24mm lens on semi-permanently (I hate risking dust getting into my cameras so like to keep 2 bodies).  

Anyway in answer to your questions:

1. Yes the X-T2 is weather sealed like the X-T1 but the 55-200mm lens is not. I have this lens and love it for the quality but it is something you should be aware of.

2. The 100-400m is a heavy lens, albeit with great quality. Too heavy for me! 

3. Can't comment on video as I don't use the X-T1 for that - perhaps I might with the better video on the X-T2.

Thank you, Mike G.

Have you used the lens? Just curious to hear any experience...

From what I read it seems that among Fuji's lenses, is the least sharp lens.

I hope I overlooked some of the choices out there and maybe I can find a better solution, even if that would mean to invest a little more.

Guest mikEm13

I have the D810 and the X-T2 and my first question would be does your wife realty need the 36mp files from the D810? I have similar lenses for both systems and the Fuji is a lot lighter and smaller to carry around although I don't carry everything when I go out to shoot. I also have the 55-200 Fuji and like it a lot. Good luck with your decision.

@ Ranz: thanks, that's great! Good to know X-T2 owners are liking the video as well.

From a few samples I've seen around, despite the codec being 8bit, it seems to me that the dynamic range is held very well by the X-T2 and highlights and shadows are very well balanced, more than in other competitors' camera in several cases.

@ mikEm13: Right, and I totally agree. I started with a DSLR myself, the 7D. After I switched to a mirrorless I never looked back.

Now the only thing to figure out is the lens. I was really leaning toward the 55-200, but the weather sealing thing is a deterrent. I really wish Fuji had the same lens weather sealed, I would easily pay a little more for that.

Just my 2 cents.

If your wife enjoys landscape photography, why are you thinking of a 'telephoto zoom' type lens, more suitable for sports?

Would strongly encourage you to consider the 16 - 55, IMHO an awesome lens - and as weatherproof as the camera body, I do believe.

You can find reviews of it, here.

@ CDBC Thanks for your contribution. I too was thinking about a wide-angle rather than a zoom, but I don't do landscape so mine was just a guess.

The thing is, she did a workshop at the Yosemite and they needed a zoom lens. That, of course, was a special case but I don't know if there might be other situations like that.

I'll try to educate myself more on the subject in order to make a better decision.

@ Mike G that's great to hear. Are some of the pictures you took with that lens somewhere online?

The X-T2 is weather sealed, not water proof.  Big difference there.  The 55-200 is not weather sealed.  I have used ALL my Fuji lenses in all types of weather with no ill effects. Maybe I'm just lucky (?)  The 18-135 would seem like a good option for you.  After that, if she is really into landscapes, I'd go for the 16 1.4 which is weather sealed, and a freakin' amazing lens.

I have also read where the 18-135 is "not as sharp" as other lenses in the Fuji line, but I hear many folks here on the forums say it's not an issue so...

The only weather sealed lens I have is my 16 1.4, but here's the 60mm after shooting in a downpour.  Please don't tell it it's not weather resistant, you'll hurt it's feelings. 

See it here:  https://flic.kr/p/UDqfwb

And here:  https://flic.kr/p/TEcWzM

Edited by jlmphotos

@ CDBC To your point about the wide vs long lens which I agree, although I'm not a landscape photographer, nor a professional one, here's a proof of it:

https://petapixel.com/2017/05/17/capturing-incredibly-rare-moonlit-firefall-yosemite/

The wider shot, with the reflection on the water, is to me way more interesting than the closer shot.

The  trees framing the picture open to the moonlit firefall drawing my attention to it, I find the wide shot being more dynamic

So, let's see if my wife agrees as well and then I'll go for a wider lens.

@jlmphotos I'm aware of the difference between weather sealed and water proof, but thanks for pointing that out, it's an important detail and it's better it doesn't go overlooked!

Hi,

I moved to Fuji from Nikon (D800) - The X-T2 is very capable and robust for all weather use. As noted in the thread the 55-200 is excellent but not weather sealed.

I use the excellent (super-kit) 18-135mm which is fairly lightweight for the focal range and is a very versatile option. Step up a class to the 50-140 f2.8 if you want tough weather sealed pro glass. 

If your wife is keen on Landscape she might consider the 16-55 ... but for weight and portability I personally have shifted to Primes specifically the 14 or 16mm... the 16mm f1.4 is an excellent lens in every way.

I moved from Nikon FF to Fuji as well. I'm not one of the guys that did the switch because of the weight, but because I just like it better for various reasons. For landscape I have no doubt in my mind that the X-T2 (which I have and use for that) is capable enough for your requirements. :)

From your original post I would also tend to buy a lens that is more flexible. I know there are different types of landscape photography, but it definitely is the area where wide angles are used very often. I love my 10-24 for landscapes, because it produces those wide angles and dramatic perspectives. It's not weather resistant, though, and aperture is "only" 4.0. Maybe I'll add a 16 1.4 at some time.

However, the 18-135 is a very flexible zoom range, I'm sure that would work very well as a starter. I don't own it myself, but I did hear very good things about it. It might not by as sharp as the primes (almost no zooms are), but coming from Fuji I'm sure it is very good. However, you won't be able to use a teleconverter on that lens! See here for more infos: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf14x_tc_wr/specifications/

Sometimes I think I'm the only female on this forum so I thought I might put in my thoughts. I travel a lot and the lens I use the most is the 10-24. It's short, fat, and remarkable. I can be in a crowded temple but still get a full view. Two weeks ago, I took some great photos in the low light of the Vatican. I use it for landscapes because it shows the whole picture, not just part of it. Quite dramatic! I only use the big 100-400 when on safari and sitting in a Jeep. I can get a giraffe's face from far away. As for the 18-135, I agree with Mike G. It's an excellent lens and extremely versatile. Sometimes I spend the day with just one of the primes, which are breathtakingly sharp. The 35 is so cute people do double takes on it. I shot a stork on top of a church with the 35 and the photo was so sharp that I just cropped it. Maybe it's just me, but the more I use my Fujis, the shorter I go in lenses.

@ mostlyphotos Glad to hear more users are happy with the 18-135, I think at this point I made up my mind.

@ FearTheXNoob Thanks for the info about the TC. I actually had checked the 1.4x and  the 2x and I in fact noticed that those two are not compatible with the 18-135. The one from Amazon, though, specifically says "This Lens Mounts On Top Of The Fujifilm XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR lens", so I guess it is compatible with that lens. What's the quality, I have no idea.

@ cale33 it seems you are another happy owner of Fuji lenses! I'm also a big fan of wide or semi-wide lenses and I agree about showing the whole contest and not focusing on one detail which sometimes can isolate the subject from the contest (not saying is a bad thing per se).

Thank you all for your advice and contributions!

I've a better clue now of what to buy and I'll go with the 18-135. I think it's a good starter, like many of you pointed out is a pretty versatile lens, so it should fit my wife's needs in more than one situation. As far as prime and wide lenses, at the moment the budget is limited. But in case she really needs to try a wide she can use the 16-50 kit lens from the X-T10 or I can buy a focal reducer and mount a Nikon 24mm 2.8 or the Olympus 24 2.8 I have from my collection. Is not like using a 10mm or 14mm, but still, it's not too shabby.

The only last piece of the puzzle is actually buying it. I can easily find the X-T2 on Amazon, but not the lens (they only have used copies from resellers).

That's a bummer, I guess I'll have to wait for the lens when it will become available. It is available on B&H though, but it's hard to skip the prime shipping and free hassle return with Amazon.

Thanks again!

Andrew

There is wet weather and there is very wet weather. I'm perfectly comfortable using my X-T2 in Seattle area rain. I would keep the camera in a very good camera bag during a tropical thunderstorm. I've used the 55-200 in light rain without problem, but I'm careful to keep it covered most of the time. If I use it on a tripod I use a plastic bag around the lens and camera. A bread bag works but there are bags made for cameras that are better.

The 18-135 is a great walk around lens and is actually lighter than the 55-200! I've use it for travel and outdoor events with no trouble. It is also good for street photography It is a mediocre portrait lens, but that's not its reason for being. I think that many people forget that absolute IQ is only necessary for certain situations and the 18-135 is more than good enough for many uses. 

cale33 is absolutely right that the 100-400 is very heavy for extended carrying. That's especially true for smaller people or those of us with troublesome backs. If you are a fit 20 or 30 something it probably won't be a problem. Otherwise I wouldn't consider it a walk around lens.

I too love the 55-200, but never used it in rainy conditions. Every time I am amazed about its sharpness and the image stabilization is a big advantage.  One of my other lenses was the 18-55, but after I dropped it during vacation I later replaced it with the weather sealed 16-55 f2.8. This lens is bigger and heavier but the IQ is very good. I agree with the others, the 16-55 2.8 is an excellent landscape lens. Recently I tend to make more use my primes (14 f2.8, 23 f2 and 35 f2) for landscapes and leave the heavy 16-55 at home.

Because you mentioned your wife wants to shoot video and does urban street photography, I would echo the recommendations of the X-T2 as being an excellent camera choice - as well as the 18-135.   If however your wife is really getting into landscape photography and that were going to be her primary focus, I would probably recommend a used d800/d800e with maybe a 18-35mm.  You could get both of those for around $1300.

Thank you all for your advice.

Sorry if I didn't follow the thread lately, the thing is I bought the X-T2!

And then we took a little trip to test it out.

It's really an amazing experience shooting with this camera. The feeling is definitely a big step up coming from the X-T10.

For now she used the lens she has from the X-T10, the 16-50mm.

I'm still considering the 18-135mm although she's now mentioning the idea of going with a wider lens, so as many of you suggested maybe the 10-24mm. But there's time to decide, so at the moment the focus is more on getting to know the camera.

By the way, the panoramic mode is a fun tool to use.

The video looks just superb! She tried a couple of film simulation (Acros is so great!) with excellent results.

The joystick, which I thought was probably just a gimmick, turns out to be rather useful instead. I think if I would use the camera I could easily get used to it.

The only minor thing for now is the position of the drive dial which seems to be a little uncomfortable to operate (especially with the strap attached).

I know the X-T2 is a very customizable camera, so maybe there's a way to assign the modes of the drive dial to a function button.

I tried the camera real quick and I wanted to give her back right the way as the feeling was so great that I thought if I would use it for a little longer I would feel bad going back to my Sony A6000 - which in fact I do! :)

One last thing I considered is an eyecup, although the ones I've seen are oddly big and they cover part of the LCD.

Edited by verysame