Underwater case for X100(s/t)

Hi all! Summer is coming, and as I live 200m from the sea I'd like to try some wet photography ;) I don't need to go far underwater with my X100s - let's say 0.5m at most.

Any ideas for a good underwater case? I read somewhere Ewa Marine D-A(X) does the job - anyone used it?

it is really not a very good idea to risk your expensive camera for something like shooting at less than a meter of depth.

Horror stories are just around the corner and you might easily live to regret having done that!

It would be so much easier to use a dedicated camera for the purpose and for the required “ depth” you could spend very little money indeed! Fuji has 3 different models in this category.

The newest of them should be the FinePix XP80 a camera working up to 15m depth.

img_main01.jpg

But you can easily fond a secondhand older model XP-60 ? for very little money! So many people buy one of these cameras and never really use them!

A camera “ bag” like an Ewa or a Dicapac, can be very dangerous to use and a rigid case will cost you more than a dedicated camera will cost you.

dicapac_wp_s3_waterproof_case_for_mirror

Unless you are willing to risk your expensive camera, my advise is to use a dedicated camera for the purpose.

And here I am in disagreement with Milandro.

As some one who has owned and used a camera for scuba diving, I have no issues with underwater housing. 30 metres is a great depth for a water housing and scuba diving - but the trick is ti make sure you look after and fit the camera in the housing correctly.

But here is the rub - is it cheaper to buy the water housing? Or one of these 'snorkelling' cameras? (as i call them).

I used a 5D2 underwater - comfortably more than the price of any of Fuji's X cameras, and a fellow diver used a 1Ds on a dive.

My water proof housing also got used to enable me ot use the camera in wet and adverse weather conditions as an additional shell. It just depends on what you will be doing with your camera to know what is your cheapest option.

Well, OP has asked precisely about a snorkeling solution, hardly anything more complex than that since he indicated a depth of 0.5m!

For everyone else there are undewrwater cameras ( Canon makes un up to 30m. ) and rigid housings.

One day someone will come up with a good system underwater camera, the ( Fuji ???) equivalent of a Nikonos.

Ahhh - the Nikonos :rolleyes:

Now you're talking a different ball game. That was when some one actually bothered to make cameras fit for underwater and cornered the market as a result.

The thing is, many digital cameras (compact, SCS or DSLR) are so good nowadays - most can do a really good job underwater if you understand how underwater photography differs from above water photography (loss of colours at different depths and magnification of water etc).

There appears to be limited availability for the suggested camera, and what there is, is not cheap. So as suggested, were it me buying, I would get a proper snorkelling camera at the cheaper price point...

I in fact I had attempted to suggest to OP to buy one of these cameras. My intention was to advise against his choice for a case , maybe I chose the wrong words to make precisely that suggestion.

There were talks of bringing back the Nikonos which wasn’t only the smallest and perhaps the best underwater camera for all those many years and throughout the many series, but was the best cameras to use on a trip into the unknown resisting ,way better than anything else, to the elements.

The camera was used for years by the scientist and adventurer Redmond O’Hanlon 

Redsi_D42B6F0FA18FB5EDC1257A3400559CB9_4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using the Meikon brand of that housing for around two years now, and I love it. It was some of the best money I've ever spent. Here is a quick review I did:

http://www.fluxionphotography.com/blog/2015/5/first-look-at-the-meikon-underwater-housing-for-the-fujifilm-x100s

and here's a series of water images I started last summer, many using the housing with my X100s.

http://www.fluxionphotography.com/p37290009

For those asking, the housing is designed for the 100s... I think the buttons layout on the 100 was similar enough that it would be okay, same with the t, but you may not be able to access everything. I recently purchased an X100f and while it fits in the housing safely, and I can adjust the shutter speed and press the shutter, nothing else lines up at all. I'm hoping they'll make a new model to fit the f - it would be nice to have full access to the camera and all those extra megapixels as well.