16-55mm Makes Clunking Noise When Off Camera

jkundi

Hi all, bought a 16-55 lens and noticed that when off the camera and you turn it upside down or give it a little shake you hear a clunking noise as if something is loose inside, has anyone else experienced this? When mounted to camera and turned on the noise goes away.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know that my 90mm does this, and there it is perfectly normal. I haven't noticed it on the 16-55mm though. Wait, let me try it... * Shakes 16-55*... Yes, it turns out that you were right, I do hear a slight clunking sound. It's different from the 90 though, that ones clunk is lower and sounds heavier. It's nothing to worry about, it must be by design, like I know it is with the 90. But..., just don't clunk it too hard. ;)

Edited by Mervyn

• 1 year later...

I just noticed that it isn’t not only the clunky noise that my 16-55 makes but the rear element inside actually moves back and forth when I move the lens up and down! Does the rear element for your lens moves as well?

Edited by Asif